General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4176
    Those f*cking Automatons are back in full force, @TeleMaster - I swear they weren’t this challenging the first time around?!?

PS/PC gamers - This is a call to arms for the OnR crew and newer folk: please get yourselves onto Helldivers 2 and join the fight, the Mobile Infantry needs you!!!

@fretmeister @WYNIR0 @stickyfiddle @holnrew @RaymondLin @TimmyO ;@AnyoneElseIveForgottenSorryInAdvance

Add me on PSN: guitargeek62
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    The Fallout series starts in a couple of days.  I'm trying not to get my hopes up but I'm starting to really look forward to it.  From what I've seen, they've got the aesthetics down, but it'll all come down to the story and getting the right level of humour if it's really going to feel like Fallout.

God,  I hope it's not shit.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17674
    tFB Trader
    RedRabbit said:
    The Fallout series starts in a couple of days.  I'm trying not to get my hopes up but I'm starting to really look forward to it.  From what I've seen, they've got the aesthetics down, but it'll all come down to the story and getting the right level of humour if it's really going to feel like Fallout.

God,  I hope it's not shit.

The early reviews have been good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4598
    I assume we're talking about Fallout: London?  Been looking forward to this ever since I first heard about it.  It does need the full version of FO4 (including all DLC) to run, so hopefully it'll go on sale soon!

Also The Outer Worlds is this week's freebie from Epic, along with Thief for us stealthy types.  Finished TOW a few weeks back, after it was free over Xmas, and that was pretty good fun.  Tried Death Stranding for a bit, but didn't gel with it at all.  Grabbed Sniper Elite 5 in the Steam Sale instead; shooting Nazis in the head never gets old!
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8025
    Is it just me, or does it already feel like the Borderlands movie is going to be absolutely crap.

Big fan of the Borderlands series. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11941
    Those f*cking Automatons are back in full force, @TeleMaster - I swear they weren’t this challenging the first time around?!?

PS/PC gamers - This is a call to arms for the OnR crew and newer folk: please get yourselves onto Helldivers 2 and join the fight, the Mobile Infantry needs you!!!

@fretmeister @WYNIR0 @stickyfiddle @holnrew @RaymondLin @TimmyO ;@AnyoneElseIveForgottenSorryInAdvance

Add me on PSN: guitargeek62
    I can't deny I have not been tempted but also not looked too far into it.  Can I ask a few questions?

I figure it is like Starship Troopers, and it is an online service game.  Does the line of where the battle is drawn gets moved? Even pretend to move.  (the line where it is closer to Earth for example)

I am over the Team Death Kill or PvP kind of game, like CoD, Halo, and was never much deep into the Battle Royal type where 1 person left standing.

What kind of player vs player or player vs NPC kind of game is this?
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10278
    edited April 10
    You have a squad of people and you all go and do objectives together to push back and defeat the enemy. You get wave after wave of enemy and sometimes it can be very intense.

There's the bugs, the Terminids and the robots, the Automatons. You get medals and credits for doing in game stuff and main objectives which you can spend on upgrades, it'll be like 'take this planet back from the Terminid scourge!' and I game you'll need to stop the radio broadcast, or kill their hives, and to take the planet back takes a community effort to do it. It's a bit hard to explain.

You call down pre selected support from your ship a limited amount of times and you will die, even at the hands of your comrades but it's no big deal. There's nukes going off everywhere so it can get messy. It's worth remembering that there is a limited amount of respawns (reinforcements). You really are forced to work together but dickheads do exist everywhere, this is unavoidable. I've had a largely positive experience with players. 

You then unlock harder difficulties which give you different resources so you can unlock more stuff.

Once you've pushed the enemy back they might come back, or the focus might be on the robots. Currently we're fighting the robots. It depends. Apparently there's more enemies in the pipeline. 

It's just quite an intense, fast paced and fun cooperative shooter. Best game I've played in years.

I like this review of the game.

edited April 10
    You have a squad of people and you all go and do objectives together to push back and defeat the enemy. You get wave after wave of enemy and sometimes it can be very intense.

There's the bugs, the Terminids and the robots, the Automatons. You get medals and credits for doing in game stuff and main objectives which you can spend on upgrades, it'll be like 'take this planet back from the Terminid scourge!' and I game you'll need to stop the radio broadcast, or kill their hives, and to take the planet back takes a community effort to do it. It's a bit hard to explain.

You call down pre selected support from your ship a limited amount of times and you will die, even at the hands of your comrades but it's no big deal. There's nukes going off everywhere so it can get messy. It's worth remembering that there is a limited amount of respawns (reinforcements). You really are forced to work together but dickheads do exist everywhere, this is unavoidable. I've had a largely positive experience with players. 

You then unlock harder difficulties which give you different resources so you can unlock more stuff.

Once you've pushed the enemy back they might come back, or the focus might be on the robots. Currently we're fighting the robots. It depends. Apparently there's more enemies in the pipeline. 

It's just quite an intense, fast paced and fun cooperative shooter. Best game I've played in years.

I guess what I forgot to ask is...

As players, and I mean the ENTIRE group of players of this game.....are we fighting the wave of onslaught from aliens?  That our effort ourselves, has an effect on the "war?"

Or are stages just get repeated over and over?
    edited April 10

I guess what I forgot to ask is...

As players, and I mean the ENTIRE group of players of this game.....are we fighting the wave of onslaught from aliens?  That our effort ourselves, has an effect on the "war?"

Or are stages just get repeated over and over?
    Yea it has an impact.

For example, a planet is under Automaton control. At the start it's 0% liberated, when you complete a mission you add 0.0000001% (or something) to the liberation of the planet. The objective will be, 'Liberate Malevelon Creek' and everyone just focuses on that planet for a couple of days, chipping away at it to liberate that planet. You can see the percentage going up in real time. Then you go to a different planet which will have different weather effects like extreme heat, sandstorms etc.

The Helldivers 2 sub reddit is a lot of fun. Lots of calls to arms for certain planets.

If you get it and fancy company let me know, I'll show you the ropes. 

Yea it has an impact.

For example, a planet is under Automaton control. At the start it's 0% liberated, when you complete a mission you add 0.0000001% (or something) to the liberation of the planet. The objective will be, 'Liberate Malevelon Creek' and everyone just focuses on that planet for a couple of days, chipping away at it to liberate that planet. You can see the percentage going up in real time. Then you go to a different planet which will have different weather effects like extreme heat, sandstorms etc.

The Helldivers 2 sub reddit is a lot of fun. Lots of calls to arms for certain planets.

If you get it and fancy company let me know, I'll show you the ropes. 
    That's cool, and this figure and "turn of the tide" of the advance or defence, it affects everyone else playing the game?  Or the server?

Ultimately, I think I would feel disappointed if I (or we) did all that good work and then get thrown into a different server next log in and sees the percentages being so different.

"The Helldivers 2 sub reddit is a lot of fun. Lots of calls to arms for certain planets."

So you can choose which front line of the battlefield you want to play in?

In short - If it's like a make believe real world Starship Troopers where there are consequences....that's good.
    If it's like a clean slate every time I log in, I've been there and not into that anymore.

(I'll probably play in a couple of weeks, got a lot to do this month.
    That's cool, and this figure and "turn of the tide" of the advance or defence, it affects everyone else playing the game?  Or the server?
    No there's not servers in that way, it's the same for everyone. Whatever liberation percentage you see everyone sees. 

So you can choose which front line of the battlefield you want to play in?

In short - If it's like a make believe real world Starship Troopers where there are consequences....that's good.
    If it's like a clean slate every time I log in, I've been there and not into that anymore.

(I'll probably play in a couple of weeks, got a lot to do this month.
    Yea you can choose your planet. It doesn't wipe anything clean no, it's community progression. If the community don't focus on a planet and don't liberate it we lose it. But the impact on the actually gameplay isn't huge, it's more about the story. 

Yes they seem a bit harder but I'm not struggling too much on Hard difficulty. I might go up to Extreme now. I just added you. :) 
    That does sound like how I imagine it....i am sold!

( I need to edit a set of photos now after work in the evening and also going to see the gf end of the month but when I come back I'll get it )
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    I was unsure about HD2 but picked it up alongside HLL - Ive had a few not so good matches but it depends on the lobby you play with. Games when the squad have all worked together have been great fun.

@TeleMaster - I did my first 'Suicide'-difficulty mission yesterday with a few L30+ players... we made it out by the skin of our teeth with just two of us on the extraction shuttle, zero reinforcements left, and swarms of automatons around the landing pad... it was brilliant! :mrgreen:

@RaymondLin - TeleMaster's summed it all up pretty damn well already but I have to agree, this is the best multiplayer shooter that I've played since the days of BF3, KZ3, and the original CoD:MW1 & 2.   I haven't had much interest in multiplayer shooters since CoD and BF went off the rails a bit, but this one's grabbed me instantly and I am struggling to put it down :bleep_bloop: 

@d8m   Excellent, let's get a game or three setup on here then with the others. The nice thing about that four-person limit is it should make it easier to organise!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17674
    tFB Trader
    TheMarlin said:
    Is it just me, or does it already feel like the Borderlands movie is going to be absolutely crap.

Big fan of the Borderlands series. 

The trailer was poor
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited April 10
    @TeleMaster - I did my first 'Suicide'-difficulty mission yesterday with a few L30+ players... we made it out by the skin of our teeth with just two of us on the extraction shuttle, zero reinforcements left, and swarms of automatons around the landing pad... it was brilliant! mrgreen

@RaymondLin - TeleMaster's summed it all up pretty damn well already but I have to agree, this is the best multiplayer shooter that I've played since the days of BF3, KZ3, and the original CoD:MW1 & 2.   I haven't had much interest in multiplayer shooters since CoD and BF went off the rails a bit, but this one's grabbed me instantly and I am struggling to put it down bleep_bloop 

@d8m   Excellent, let's get a game or three setup on here then with the others. The nice thing about that four-person limit is it should make it easier to organise!
    Sounds like a plan! I dont really use a mic but happy to use the in game ping etc and follow the squad.

No worries @d8m, I rarely use them too but as this game's actually co-operative I'm finding myself dipping back into chats again. What's your PSN/game ID?
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7576
    I.never upgraded to Ps5 so.wont be able to revisit the glory days of On'R 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    I.never upgraded to Ps5 so.wont be able to revisit the glory days of On'R