General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• ennspek said:
    While waiting for new games to come down from the frankly ridiculous price point of £70 which I refuse to pay on principal I've been really enjoying Final Fantasy XIV

That's pretty cheap for a good game.

Back in the 90s, Sega mega drive games were £45. Okay, development is very different now, and the industry has shifted, but it's interesting. 

For what it's worth, I'd happily have paid £150 for slay the spire, and I'd still consider £200 cheap for diablo 2, which has given me thousands of hours of genuine enjoyment and interesting gameplay. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2504
    Playing Ender Lilies on Switch. It's not bad but pretty derivative so far. The piano soundtrack is a poor imitation of Hollow Knight, and the whole "blight" story and even the level design is quite like Dead Cells. Unfortunately it's not quite as good as either, but not bad by any means
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27699
    edited July 2021
    I'm liking the look of Mark of the Ninja atm - will likely give that a try next time I have some free time. 

Has anyone played RE Village and can advise how much it will shit me up? I played and enjoyed 4 and 2 remake, hated 5, never played any others. I have PT on the PS4 and never finished it because I just can't make myself. Noped out of 7 as everyone said it was closer to PT than previous REs. 

Where does RE8 sit on that scale??! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1397
    i haven't played re8 (waiting to play it on new hardware) but the re7/PT comparison is not really fair. re7 is mostly jumpscares and regular old resi disorientation and material helplessness (lack of ammo and such). it does not shit you up anywhere close to what PT managed to.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24844
    My number came up on the Currys Pre Order lottery thing.

So I've now paid for a PS5 and I should get it in 2-3 weeks.

Now I need to work on convincing the wife that the TV could do with a 4K upgrade.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Now I need to work on convincing the wife that the TV could do with a 4K upgrade.
    How far do you sit from it? We got a new 4K Sony before xmas and I struggle to tell the difference in resolution.

HDR colours/contrast and 60fps are absolutely noticeable, but it surprised me how little I care about resolution compared to those. Most PS5 games aren't full 4k anyway, or they have performance modes that push on RT and/or frame rates, which I invariably end up using because 60fps sis epic. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24844

How far do you sit from it? We got a new 4K Sony before xmas and I struggle to tell the difference in resolution.

HDR colours/contrast and 60fps are absolutely noticeable, but it surprised me how little I care about resolution compared to those. Most PS5 games aren't full 4k anyway, or they have performance modes that push on RT and/or frame rates, which I invariably end up using because 60fps sis epic. 
    I was more thinking for films for 4K

I get 100-120fps on my PC for CoD and stuff like that so 60fps will be slumming it!
    Not that my monitors react that fast - but it's nice to know it's there! :D 

I do need to sort out my wifi though. It's fine for most things but I get drops out as between the router and the lounge is a double thick wall with that high tech flat panel insulation that is layers of aluminium and stuff. So the signal has to bounce round all over the place before it gets there.

I'm very close to just hiring a big drill and running a cable through the wall and installing a couple of sockets and then hardwiring the consoles and TV box.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12050
    Snagged a PS5 from Curry's too, not directly but someone else on another forum didn't need the code and kindly forwarded to me.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7427

I was just about to ask if your email says about the wait, then I looked at mine again and it does say it, right in the middle! "We'll call you when it's in stock". I'm glad I didn't complain  :#
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1872
    Finally managed to buy a PS5. Yay. But I got it from Game so delivery is 21st ish. Got it wish Ratchet and clank and I'm very much look forward to that. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2036

I'm very close to just hiring a big drill and running a cable through the wall and installing a couple of sockets and then hardwiring the consoles and TV box.
    You should consider one of the powerline adapters - much less work!  They work exceptionally well. My PC sits in the further room from the router and wifi wasn't great. Got a powerline adapter set and now I get full speed straight to the PC. Well worth the price and you'll be amazed at the difference. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    bbill335 said:
    i haven't played re8 (waiting to play it on new hardware) but the re7/PT comparison is not really fair. re7 is mostly jumpscares and regular old resi disorientation and material helplessness (lack of ammo and such). it does not shit you up anywhere close to what PT managed to.
    Yeah, I haven't played RE7 so wasn't necessarily comparing the two in terms of just, just in terms of potential ability to shit me up, given 7 was discussed as very much more scary than 5 or 6. 

Sounds like 8 is generally not that bad other than one section that apparently rivals PT. I may try it but make sure I play that bit in the daytime with the lights on! :D 

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2504
    Completed Ender Lilies (pretty much 100%, there's one hidden nook that doesn't seem to be accessible on the Switch version). Enjoyable if you like Metroidvanias, though doesn't offer a lot drastically new. 

The pacing/difficulty spikes were a bit odd, for example you spend the majority of the game with your main attack on level 4 of 6, then just before the final boss you find the item to bring it up 2 levels, which makes the final boss (and the extra boss if you're going for the "good" ending) a bit of a pushover, I beat it on my second attempt and beat the extra boss first time.
    Compared to some of the really tough bosses earlier in the game (particularly the 4th boss) it was strange. 

The combat wasn't quite as sharp as the best of the genre either, with just a slight softness to the controls compared to Blasphemous or Hollow Knight. For the majority of the game it was good enough but would occasionally make a boss battle seem unbalanced/unfair. There are always save points right next to bosses though so you never had to do much grinding.
    The leveling system seemed a bit pointless too, it just upscaled your damage output slightly, but didn't add anything else to the game. I reached level 94 and didn't bother getting up to level 100.

I'm looking forward to Silksong now.

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    edited July 2021
    Finished Wreckfest.

Easy fun game, pick up and play and enjoyable for a quick 20mins sessions.  Not the deepest of racing game, very arcade style which i like. 

I like some format more than others, the demolition derby which i thought was quite fun to begin with ends up being my least favourite.  It's not difficult per say but just quite dull, just hold steady until most of the other cars have caused most damage to each other and then go in and finish them off.  You get more credit finishing a car off than causing the initial damage.

The best racing ones are the dirt ones, especially the high speed ones in a figure of 8.  A sudden full speed side impact will ruin your day!

Although towards the end there are more races where the courses are brutal in themselves in that they are narrow, short, and some with lots of jumps which means your car is taking a beating if you land incorrectly on a jump.  A few races i was the only car left by the virtue of all the AI just crashed out against each other.  

Good fun, a bit easy, recommended if you want a racing game that doesn't need to try too hard.
    I've been playing that Star Wars game that's like the Joker from Gotham playing Uncharted in space. Im really enjoying it. I haven't cheated with youtube videos once yet.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fallen Order that's it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    DefaultM said:
    I've been playing that Star Wars game that's like the Joker from Gotham playing Uncharted in space. Im really enjoying it. I haven't cheated with youtube videos once yet.
    Absolutely perfect description :D 
  • Splitgate beta is available, portal meets halo cross platform online.

I'm still on Miles Morales on PS5, really am enjoying it, after that I have Ratchet and Clank, and Fenyx Rising to do.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4243
    So, I managed to get hold of a PS5 at last, though I'm not sure I actually want it now. I've not opened it, so can you guys give me some reasons why I should keep it and not return it?
    So, I managed to get hold of a PS5 at last, though I'm not sure I actually want it now. I've not opened it, so can you guys give me some reasons why I should keep it and not return it?
    Games that you want to play?