General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24864
    I have my PS5 set up. 

I decided not to do the "leave it on for 48 hours straight for a data transfer from PS4" as the PS4 is too filled up with dust and it's hot.

At the moment it's downloading updates for Warzone / MW and then it's got a load of TV related apps to grab. There's a good 4 hours worth to do there.

Ratchet & Clank should arrive tomorrow.

I've had a 30 min go on Astro's Playhouse and it's great fun! Far more than I was expecting. And it looks lovely. I can see that being played quite a bit.

The only thing that annoys is that it hasn't got a BBC iPlayer app yet as I use that a lot.

The controller is a big improvement on the PS4 one, although I still think the new Xbox one is better. I have one of those for PC use.

Good so far!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • anyone got any recommendations for either switch games or something good that can be played on a non-gaming laptop (decent spec but no gmaing gfx card)

For pc, diablo 2 is still one of the best games ever. The first one is also available on gog and is still creepy, atmospheric and brilliant. And difficult. 

I can't imagine slay the spire needs much in the way of processing power either. I think it might be the best game ever, on any platform. 

I really enjoy old adventure games as well, like grim fandango. Bit niche maybe.

Grim Fandango!! Now there's a blast from the past. What a game. (If you like point and click adventures)

It is a classic. I started watching a YouTube channel called Grim Beard, he reviews loads of classic point and click adventure games. Some I've never heard of, some I've played (myst, anyone?) - he hasn't reviewed grim fandango yet but I'm sure it'll happen. Recommended! He is also reviewing every episode of supernatural, if you liked that show... I prefer his reviews tbh. 

Grim fandango, diablo 2 and even games like command and conquer red alert or rollercoaster tycoon are brilliant looking, with oodles of charm and well thought out colour schemes that serve the game well. Grim fandango is also genuinely clever and hilarious, it's one of two games I've laughed out loud at while playing (portal was the other). 

I thought the graphics in the recent call of duty black ops cold War (wow, three titles on one game!) were pretty bad despite using the same engine as modern warfare, which was mostly really quite good (and felt much better to play, too). It's funny how seemingly small things can have such an impact on a player experience. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24864
    I didn’t rate BLOPS either. Nice to see some classic maps back but other than that it’s just wrong.
    Even the character movement is poorly done.

I went back to playing Modern Warfare. And warzone.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Splitgate   is where it’s at FPS at the mo, download and play it does not disappoint 
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7370
    Just tried slay the spire..very cool...the writing is a little fiddly on my phone though

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Feeling proud

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4174
    The pre-load is now live for Xbox owners wanting to play Microsoft Flight Simulator next week. The download is surprisingly modest - just over 40GB for the base game.

There's also 50GB if you want the offline low res version of the world, but if you're always planning to stream the scenery you don't necessarily need that. 

Screenshot I took on the PC version on my ageing desktop machine. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just tried slay the spire..very cool...the writing is a little fiddly on my phone though

I'm now up to ascension 16 on all characters on ps4, which is using an older patch of the game that's a bit harder - especially on the silent, who really struggles to scale with anything but poison.

On mobile, I'm ascension 9 on everything and every run I'm going for the heart. It's a newer patch so the silent is a bit more consistent. It's noticeably easier actually, the devs can only really change numbers on cards and not text as there are so many languages and they are only an indie dev. 
  • The pre-load is now live for Xbox owners wanting to play Microsoft Flight Simulator next week. The download is surprisingly modest - just over 40GB for the base game.

There's also 50GB if you want the offline low res version of the world, but if you're always planning to stream the scenery you don't necessarily need that. 

That looks incredible graphically. It's definitely one I'm going to be downloading when I get my Series S.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    I'm only on my 2nd run, first one was with the iron clad and got killed by the first elite I met. Got to the city with the silent on my 2nd run and am about 3 rooms in so far. The silent seems way better at least in the early game than the ironclad.  
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    The pre-load is now live for Xbox owners wanting to play Microsoft Flight Simulator next week. The download is surprisingly modest - just over 40GB for the base game.

That looks incredible graphically. It's definitely one I'm going to be downloading when I get my Series S.
    Believe me it's mind boggling. 

I'll be playing on my X, but flying with my kids who have an S. Really looking forward to some mock dogfighting with my eldest son. 

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052

I'll be playing on my X, but flying with my kids who have an S. Really looking forward to some mock dogfighting with my eldest son. 
    Can you play 2 player? or multiplayer?

Is the server full of players around the world that can actually fly with each other?

Can you play 2 player? or multiplayer?

Is the server full of players around the world that can actually fly with each other?
    Yes you can fly with hundreds of other players from around the world. The skies are full of other people. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    That's neat, I love it and can't wait.
    anyone got any recommendations for either switch games or something good that can be played on a non-gaming laptop (decent spec but no gmaing gfx card)

For pc, diablo 2 is still one of the best games ever. The first one is also available on gog and is still creepy, atmospheric and brilliant. And difficult. 

I can't imagine slay the spire needs much in the way of processing power either. I think it might be the best game ever, on any platform. 

I really enjoy old adventure games as well, like grim fandango. Bit niche maybe.

Slay the spire is good on Switch, but I think it's even better as a mobile game.
    Have you tried guild of dungeoneering by any chance? Slay the spire really reminds me of that game (which is also great) 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I'm only on my 2nd run, first one was with the iron clad and got killed by the first elite I met. Got to the city with the silent on my 2nd run and am about 3 rooms in so far. The silent seems way better at least in the early game than the ironclad.  

Haha it's really fun talking to people new to the game, because your understanding will grow run-to-run on each character. By ascension 5 you'll have quite a deep knowledge, and more cards unlocked as well for more complex strategy.

I'm on a watcher run at the moment that's boring - I've just completed the first act on ascension 9 and I'm pretty confident I'm 90 percent of the way to beating the heart. The best runs I have are where every decision feels like it has a lot of weight.

My best run was a skin-of-my-teeth run with ironclad. I had a good deck, but it was missing a key ingredient. A power potion came lucky on the heart fight and won it for me. 
  • anyone got any recommendations for either switch games or something good that can be played on a non-gaming laptop (decent spec but no gmaing gfx card)

Slay the spire is good on Switch, but I think it's even better as a mobile game.
    Have you tried guild of dungeoneering by any chance? Slay the spire really reminds me of that game (which is also great) 
    might need to give it a go! 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    anyone got any recommendations for either switch games or something good that can be played on a non-gaming laptop (decent spec but no gmaing gfx card)

Grim Fandango!! Now there's a blast from the past. What a game. (If you like point and click adventures)

It is a classic. I started watching a YouTube channel called Grim Beard, he reviews loads of classic point and click adventure games. Some I've never heard of, some I've played (myst, anyone?) - he hasn't reviewed grim fandango yet but I'm sure it'll happen. Recommended! He is also reviewing every episode of supernatural, if you liked that show... I prefer his reviews tbh. 

Grim fandango, diablo 2 and even games like command and conquer red alert or rollercoaster tycoon are brilliant looking, with oodles of charm and well thought out colour schemes that serve the game well. Grim fandango is also genuinely clever and hilarious, it's one of two games I've laughed out loud at while playing (portal was the other). 

I thought the graphics in the recent call of duty black ops cold War (wow, three titles on one game!) were pretty bad despite using the same engine as modern warfare, which was mostly really quite good (and felt much better to play, too). It's funny how seemingly small things can have such an impact on a player experience. 
    There are sooo many good older games that I would go back and play

Conkers bad fur day, The last of us part 2, Day of the tentacle, Command and Conquer Generals, Final Fantasy 7 (played it again last year), Destruction Derby 2, GTA 5, Shadowman, the list literally could go on for days. 

I do like a point and click though. Me and the mrs have done a few broken swords together and Grim Fandango. 

Day of the tentacle is worth checking out too. That was awesome 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    I'm only on my 2nd run, first one was with the iron clad and got killed by the first elite I met. Got to the city with the silent on my 2nd run and am about 3 rooms in so far. The silent seems way better at least in the early game than the ironclad.  

Haha it's really fun talking to people new to the game, because your understanding will grow run-to-run on each character. By ascension 5 you'll have quite a deep knowledge, and more cards unlocked as well for more complex strategy.

Well tried ironclad again on run 3 and definitely a lot better. I got to the boss on act II and managed to get him down to 30 health. 1 more turn and ive have had him :) 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I'm only on my 2nd run, first one was with the iron clad and got killed by the first elite I met. Got to the city with the silent on my 2nd run and am about 3 rooms in so far. The silent seems way better at least in the early game than the ironclad.  

Well tried ironclad again on run 3 and definitely a lot better. I got to the boss on act II and managed to get him down to 30 health. 1 more turn and ive have had him :) 

It's good, isn't it ;) I just beat the heart with ironclad on ascension 9 and part way through a silent run now, also ascension 9. Weird deck - started pushing me toward a blade dance/finisher synergy but in act 2 I'm being offered quite weird cards, so it's now partly a discard deck...