General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2444
    Tenebrous said:
    beed84 said:
    Nintendo Switch is getting N64 and Sega Mega Drive games. And yes, they’re releasing wireless controllers for them both. Sweet!

It's had them for a while
    Erm, they made the announcement yesterday:

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2021/September/Introducing-Nintendo-Switch-Online-Expansion-Pack-2044266.html
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12040
    Simonh said:
    Anything good out for the PS5 yet?
    Deathloop
    Returnal
    Miles Morales

Ratchet & Clank

and Ghost of Tsushima & Control at full power…
    What do you mean control at full power?
  • beed84 said:
    Tenebrous said:
    beed84 said:
    Nintendo Switch is getting N64 and Sega Mega Drive games. And yes, they’re releasing wireless controllers for them both. Sweet!

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2021/September/Introducing-Nintendo-Switch-Online-Expansion-Pack-2044266.html

I was on about soft-modding. The Switch can play so much more than Nintendo allows it too, so a little trickery is worthwhile :+1: Good to have official means for people who aren't into tweaking, though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10385
    Simonh said:
    Anything good out for the PS5 yet?
    Deathloop
    Returnal
    Miles Morales

Ratchet & Clank

and Ghost of Tsushima & Control at full power…
    What do you mean control at full power?
    Upgraded to 4K 69 FPS etc. 
    I bought Diablo 2 Prime Evil edition so has Diablo 3 too. 

I did play 3 quite a lot when it came out years ago. I was big into Starcraft 2 too. I very briefly got into the Diamond league for a season. It was an extremely difficult game. 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2444
    Tenebrous said:
    beed84 said:
    Tenebrous said:
    beed84 said:

I was on about soft-modding. The Switch can play so much more than Nintendo allows it too, so a little trickery is worthwhile :+1: Good to have official means for people who aren't into tweaking, though!
    Aha, I see. If I weren't such a purist, I'd have perhaps been quicker on the uptake!
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1392
    the thatcher's techbase doom wad is fuckin brilliant
    Okay Deathloop. Gameplay I like. I’m having fun playing it but I have noooo idea what’s going on. I know I have to kill these people, I know some characters have a bit more importance in X way and do this and that, but there’s so much to listen to and read, it’s just impossible to fully know what the hell is going on!!!
  • Okay Deathloop. Gameplay I like. I’m having fun playing it but I have noooo idea what’s going on. I know I have to kill these people, I know some characters have a bit more importance in X way and do this and that, but there’s so much to listen to and read, it’s just impossible to fully know what the hell is going on!!!
    I'm feeling the same way - seems like a great game, I just wish I had a clue what the on earth is happening.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Got a PS5 this week. Surprised how shonky it feels compared to my Series X.

The Xbox Series X is smaller, quieter, less ugly, cooler, more storage, more powerful, has a more customisable UI, and has a massive low-cost library thanks to Gamepass.

I was browsing the PlayStation Store and looking at all these £50-£60 games and thinking to myself "that one's on Gamepass. So is that one. And that. And that one." Gran Turismo 7 is £70, Forza Horizon 5 is included in the Gamepass Subscription.

Save games between consoles are handled badly on PlayStation, as are buying games that include PS4 and PS5 versions. On Xbox your saves always download where you play, even if logging into a friend's Xbox. And when you buy a game you don't need to worry what version it is - you get it on all Xbox consoles (and often the PC version too). 

PS5 is a capable machine. But in terms of quality of life Xbox has it beat by a long way. The one thing PS5 does very well is the controller. Those triggers are very nice in a racing game. 

May be wondering why I got a PS5. It was on a whim really, seeing if I could get one if I tried. Also with Gran Turismo 7 coming in March I thought it might be easier to get a console now than any time closer to Christmas. And I've owned every PlayStation and Xbox thanks to being a games journalist (now retired from that hellscape career). Owning both formats has become a habit.

Going forward Xbox will be my multiplatform machine, and I'll use the PlayStation for exclusives. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

The Xbox Series X is smaller, quieter, less ugly, cooler, more storage, more powerful, has a more customisable UI, and has a massive low-cost library thanks to Gamepass.

I was browsing the PlayStation Store and looking at all these £50-£60 games and thinking to myself "that one's on Gamepass. So is that one. And that. And that one." Gran Turismo 7 is £70, Forza Horizon 5 is included in the Gamepass Subscription.

Save games between consoles are handled badly on PlayStation, as are buying games that include PS4 and PS5 versions. On Xbox your saves always download where you play, even if logging into a friend's Xbox. And when you buy a game you don't need to worry what version it is - you get it on all Xbox consoles (and often the PC version too). 

PS5 is a capable machine. But in terms of quality of life Xbox has it beat by a long way. The one thing PS5 does very well is the controller. Those triggers are very nice in a racing game. 

May be wondering why I got a PS5. It was on a whim really, seeing if I could get one if I tried. Also with Gran Turismo 7 coming in March I thought it might be easier to get a console now than any time closer to Christmas. And I've owned every PlayStation and Xbox thanks to being a games journalist (now retired from that hellscape career). Owning both formats has become a habit.

Going forward Xbox will be my multiplatform machine, and I'll use the PlayStation for exclusives. 
    I have a Xbox Series S for a lot fo the reasons you have mentioned. Besides, we only have one 4k TV in the house and its in the living room, so 1080p is plenty for me, especially considering I plan on playing on my PC monitor when I move out.

And Gamepass really is a god send. Sure, PlayStation has its PS Now thing, but the quality of the games on offer is nowhere near what it is on Xbox.

Thus far, outside of Gamepass, I've spent £100 on games, and that's got me Tekken 7 Ultimate edition, the Hitman Trilogy, MGSV, the new FIFA 22 Ultimate Edition, Rayman, and all of the DLCs for Forza Horizon 4. Because that's something else Xbox does better than playstation - you can actually buy game codes through third party retailers, and the sales on the Xbox store are way more frequent than on PlayStation.

Very glad I made the switch from PS4 to XSS.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Okay Deathloop. Gameplay I like. I’m having fun playing it but I have noooo idea what’s going on. I know I have to kill these people, I know some characters have a bit more importance in X way and do this and that, but there’s so much to listen to and read, it’s just impossible to fully know what the hell is going on!!!
    I'm feeling the same way - seems like a great game, I just wish I had a clue what the on earth is happening.

Exactly. :lol:

I have a Xbox Series S for a lot fo the reasons you have mentioned. Besides, we only have one 4k TV in the house and its in the living room, so 1080p is plenty for me, especially considering I plan on playing on my PC monitor when I move out.

And Gamepass really is a god send. Sure, PlayStation has its PS Now thing, but the quality of the games on offer is nowhere near what it is on Xbox.

Thus far, outside of Gamepass, I've spent £100 on games, and that's got me Tekken 7 Ultimate edition, the Hitman Trilogy, MGSV, the new FIFA 22 Ultimate Edition, Rayman, and all of the DLCs for Forza Horizon 4. Because that's something else Xbox does better than playstation - you can actually buy game codes through third party retailers, and the sales on the Xbox store are way more frequent than on PlayStation.

Very glad I made the switch from PS4 to XSS.
    Yes being able to buy Xbox game codes is great. 

When I bought WRC10 on PS5 I did save some money getting a £50 wallet top-up for £44 from ShopTo. 

Have some black plates coming for my PS5 tomorrow. So it'll look less hideous in my black TV stand. 

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12040
    edited September 2021
    Installed a WD SN850.  Way OTT but the lid fits back on.

Getting good speed.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Going to be a while before I need to do that. My PS5 is rather empty so far. 

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2450

Same here! I just had Juliana 'invade' for the first time. Then walked into the club and just started blasting. Not sure if I was meant to do that, but aI got a load of cool goodies from it.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2246
    Anyone played Black Mesa? 

It's a remake of half life 1 in the half life 2 engine, but with fixes.. it's got that Half life nostalgic vibe going but with modern mechanics which is nice.
  • LuttiS said:
    Anyone played Black Mesa? 

It's a remake of half life 1 in the half life 2 engine, but with fixes.. it's got that Half life nostalgic vibe going but with modern mechanics which is nice.
    Picked it up in the Steam sale recently and made a start on it over the weekend.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7418
    Got red dead redemption 2 for £6 today. Haven't had chance to play it yet though as it took an hour to install. 
    I haven't read or watched anything about it, is it good?
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2450
    DefaultM said:
    Got red dead redemption 2 for £6 today. Haven't had chance to play it yet though as it took an hour to install. 
    I haven't read or watched anything about it, is it good?
    I think I'm in the minority, but I found the gameplay incredibly fiddly and quite dull. The story is great, but some of the mechanics are just very odd, and seemed there for no real reason.

I much preferred the first Red Dead personally.