General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27757
    Is that 8 pounds for the full GTA V with solo and online? I wasn't fussed but at that price I might as well. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1885
    Is that 8 pounds for the full GTA V with solo and online? I wasn't fussed but at that price I might as well. 

Yes, I believe so! 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    RedRabbit said:
    RedRabbit said:
    Barnezy said:
    I really like the idea of GT but if you can't sell cars, and there's no B-spec, does this mean you actually have to play the game to get the best cars?! 
    Or Micro transactions and buy in-game credit to buy cars.
    Not so micro anymore! 

So basically as a person with a full time job I have no chance unless I want to spend extra?
    I was vaguely interested in GT7 but microtransactions, particularly at this level, make it a hard pass for me.  
    Why do you need to buy them? Just do the races. It's a shortcut for people who are lazy or for those who want to race on a more professional level quickly.

There are plenty of races with 100k credits early on so I really don't know why anyone even needs to acknowledge microtransactions in this game because they're not a necessity in any way at all. 
    Clearly you don't need to buy them (and I certainly wouldn't) but I refuse to pay £70 for a game that then tries to get you to pay more and, essentially, has a pay-to-win mechanic.
    how many new games dont release extra characters, or DLC, or some add-on at additional cost?

I think, by and large, this has been the way for 5+ years. I seem to recall Call of Duty on the XBOX 360 started all that jazz off most prominently?? 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    RedRabbit said:

Clearly you don't need to buy them (and I certainly wouldn't) but I refuse to pay £70 for a game that then tries to get you to pay more and, essentially, has a pay-to-win mechanic.
    how many new games dont release extra characters, or DLC, or some add-on at additional cost?

I think, by and large, this has been the way for 5+ years. I seem to recall Call of Duty on the XBOX 360 started all that jazz off most prominently?? 
    Horse armour for Elder Scrolls: Oblivion was the first big cosmetic DLC. 

The COD4 map pack in maybe 2009 was the first really big one that lots of people actually paid for, because that game was genuinely exceptional at the time. 

• I play games with 2 friends I've known for 40 years at more or less the same time 2 nights a week on PS4.
    We've been having the discussion for ages about what we upgrade to PS5 or Xbox and not settled on it. 

I've got covid at the moment and have gone a bit stir crazy.... saw the chance of a PS5 from Game and snagged it this morning. I've been watching too much Elden Rings footage and just lost control with the credit card, something I never normally do.

Getting Horizon and Gran Turismo 7 with it which aren't my first choice. 
    If I get out voted it will all go horribly wrong and I'll have to flog it all for an Xbox.
    I've not confessed to them yet!
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7430
    Won't they prefer ps5 because then you can still play all your ps4 games on it?
  • One of them has a son who has an Xbox and fancies their game pass monthly thing. The other wants a PS5 but has no reason for not wanting an Xbox. They procrastinate a lot. The last time I did some compulsive spending was when I jumped in with the PS4 in a similar manner and forced their hand. So I've got form and didn't want to tell them I've jumped the gun again.... not yet anyway. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10389
    One of them has a son who has an Xbox and fancies their game pass monthly thing. The other wants a PS5 but has no reason for not wanting an Xbox. They procrastinate a lot. The last time I did some compulsive spending was when I jumped in with the PS4 in a similar manner and forced their hand. So I've got form and didn't want to tell them I've jumped the gun again.... not yet anyway. 
    Time to play your hand my friend. 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2449
    edited March 2022
    With the release of GT7, now's a good time to relive this intro. We were truly blessed:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3264

I play games with 2 friends I've known for 40 years at more or less the same time 2 nights a week on PS4.
    We've been having the discussion for ages about what we upgrade to PS5 or Xbox and not settled on it. 

I've got covid at the moment and have gone a bit stir crazy.... saw the chance of a PS5 from Game and snagged it this morning. I've been watching too much Elden Rings footage and just lost control with the credit card, something I never normally do.

Getting Horizon and Gran Turismo 7 with it which aren't my first choice. 
    If I get out voted it will all go horribly wrong and I'll have to flog it all for an Xbox.
    I've not confessed to them yet!

This is why you should try Civ VI, if you're looking for a game that that has long game play, lots of replayability and great online multiplayer, it's hard to beat the Civ games.
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3264
    Oooooooo nice!

Barnezy said:
    They add about 8 games a month at the moment. Even if only 2 interest you of the Day 1 releases, that’s c£140, almost a years access to GamePass.

Anyway, I personally find it fantastic already, and that’s before any Activision games are even on there. 
    Well in that case I might as well have just bought the games. ;)

I played a couple of the older Halo games, Hades, tried the last Forza Horizon, the new one and Halo. I think the Ori games too but I didn’t finish them. I can’t say that I’m really getting my moneys worth out of it.

It would be interesting if they make the Diablo games and Overwatch part of it. 

I think it will get there.

And the BBC iPlayer has been forced onto PS4 users, I just turned mine on for the first time in almost a year, did the update, and boom it's there, and it's not there like Netflix, Amazon or Youtube, where you see the app but it's not actually installed on your system, it gets installed with the update, so you have to uninstall it if you're like me, and don't have a TV license, don't want one, nor need one and don't want the hassle of risking a fine and all the PIA that goes with it.
    edited March 2022
    PSA for Switch owners - lots of discounts on Mario games for MAR10 day in the switch eshop. I'm getting 3D World
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22577
    beed84 said:
    With the release of GT7, now's a good time to relive this intro. We were truly blessed:

Still doesn't beat the first one. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17899
    tFB Trader
    PSA for Switch owners - lots of discounts on Mario games for MAR10 day in the switch eshop. I'm getting 3D World

I looked yesterday and there were none. Weird.

edited March 2022

I looked yesterday and there were none. Weird.

Oh shit, maybe it's only a USA thing- I just saw a headline yesterday. Balls if so!

Will have a look at mine. 

EDIT: Yep, no sale on the uk store, though the Mario/Rabbids Gold edition is cheap (and a bargain) if anyone hasn't already played it
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2449
    beed84 said:

Fair point. GT1 has the better intro, but that soundtrack for GT2 was perfect and made a firm mark on my youth. Good times.

Played GT7 in Game today. 30 mins perhaps isn’t a sufficient amount of time to judge it fairly, but I honestly found it lifeless. In my boredom, I then flitted from Horizon Dawn and Spider-Man. While they were pretty to look at, they too were dull – I got an overwhelming sense of “I can’t be arsed with this”.

I was all for a next gen console, but now I’m not so fussed. Personally, I find a lot of it style over substance; chores rather than games. Add that to the implement of micro-transactions, I’m not sure what you’re left with. Retro and Nintendo for me.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    beed84 said:
    beed84 said:

Fair point. GT1 has the better intro, but that soundtrack for GT2 was perfect and made a firm mark on my youth. Good times.

Played GT7 in Game today. 30 mins perhaps isn’t a sufficient amount of time to judge it fairly, but I honestly found it lifeless. In my boredom, I then flitted from Horizon Dawn and Spider-Man. While they were pretty to look at, they too were dull – I got an overwhelming sense of “I can’t be arsed with this”.

I was all for a next gen console, but now I’m not so fussed. Personally, I find a lot of it style over substance; chores rather than games. Add that to the implement of micro-transactions, I’m not sure what you’re left with. Retro and Nintendo for me.
    thats why I have gone PC this time round

yes the hardware costs is terrifying but the games are sooo much cheaper, you can do xbox game pass and its a pc. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    What's with the dirt cars in GT7? Feels like I'm controlling a hovercraft attached to helium balloons.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10389
    DefaultM said:
    What's with the dirt cars in GT7? Feels like I'm controlling a hovercraft attached to helium balloons.
    Yes!!!! I can’t be arsed with rally in general tbh. Too mental. 
    edited March 2022
    It's absolutely awful, but I've only tried it with dirt tyres on my regular cars. I'm a little unsure on spending my credits on a rally car just to do this menu book if it's just as bad to control.

Edit: nevermind there's a road race that gives you a rally car if you come top 3.