General Gaming thread

What's Hot

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10389
    Oooooooo nice!

Barnezy said:
    They add about 8 games a month at the moment. Even if only 2 interest you of the Day 1 releases, that’s c£140, almost a years access to GamePass.

Anyway, I personally find it fantastic already, and that’s before any Activision games are even on there. 
    Well in that case I might as well have just bought the games. ;)

I played a couple of the older Halo games, Hades, tried the last Forza Horizon, the new one and Halo. I think the Ori games too but I didn’t finish them. I can’t say that I’m really getting my moneys worth out of it.

It would be interesting if they make the Diablo games and Overwatch part of it. 

I think it will get there.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1021
    i recently managed to find a way to be able to buy retro games from gog (as currently no way to buy online) and let me tell you i have been buying some classics.

everything from deus ex gold to tron 2.0, star wars dark forces 1 & 2,dungeon keeper 1 & 2 and most ultima games (have bought around 80 odd games in total i have to admit/some were on special offer). 

admittedly some of the games are a bit of a puzzle to try to get working on win 10 (have to look for patches) and some of the control layouts are retro to say the least but am well chuffed to finally be able to get these games (a lot of them i have never played as no pc back in the day).

not that there will be anyone else who may be wondering how to buy the games if in a similar situation to myself but you need to buy paysafecard vouchers that you can get from some shops (i buy them from my local poundland store).  the staff members might not have heard of them though so you need to keep enquiring or show them the paysafe web site (where there is a page to show the cashier about how to process paysafe vouchers etc).

retro gaming is the future you mark my words (goes off to polish zimmer frame.
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• SporkySporky Frets: 29171
    And that, I believe, is 8-bit Bruce Lee in your avatar? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17899
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:
    And that, I believe, is 8-bit Bruce Lee in your avatar? 

I could never work out why the sumo guy shouted.
    The Green Yamo has a name! 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17899
    tFB Trader
    Sporky said:

You really wouldn't get away with bright yellow Bruce Lee these days.
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1021
    edited March 2022
    @sporky you are absolutely correct 

bruce lee was one of the games that came with my c64 xmas 1988 (a cough copied version with a photocopied cover in black/white on cassette as disk drives were for the rich kids).

if anyone who likes bruce lee doesn't know somebody actually made a follow on game called bruce lee 2 that you can download for free on your pc. it is bloody fab but hard as nails. 

don't get me wrong there are some great modern games for sure. 
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

Sporky said:

It's probably fortunate that gaming technology has kept up with social enlightenment. 
    Can I just say. 

Naysayers aside, I am fully sold on the sim racing thing. 

I've bought a frame to race in now. My wife is livid. :lol: 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 146
    Sporky said:

I only ever played it on a black and white TV, it actually made a lot of C64 games look better.
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1112
    Anyone else thing the GT7 roulette is rigged? I never get the good shit! lol
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 501
    Finally got to spend a bit more time on Elden Ring.

Firstly, From Software really need to pull their finger out and get the PC version patched.  It runs fine on my desktop but my laptop really struggles regardless of settings.  I accept that a 1660ti and a second-gen ryzen 7 with 8gb of ram probably isn't going to run it on high at 1080p but it's still all over the place on low settings at 720p.  At one point it couldn't even get past 10fps in the menu - no idea what the issue was but it required a complete PC reboot before it would start properly.

Secondly, and more importantly, I think the game is great.  The difficulty, for the most part, seems just about right i.e. I'm not dying too often and when I make progress I feel like I've actually achieved something.  Finally tackled the troll and the archers at the gate with some help from my wolves, had a bit of an explore and have landed at Margit.  After 3 attempts (I'm not counting the one where I threw myself off the cliff) I managed to get him to half health but I haven't figured out his attack patterns yet.  I might have to rethink my "hit harder not smarter" strategy.
  • RedRabbit said:
    Finally got to spend a bit more time on Elden Ring.

Firstly, From Software really need to pull their finger out and get the PC version patched.  It runs fine on my desktop but my laptop really struggles regardless of settings.  I accept that a 1660ti and a second-gen ryzen 7 with 8gb of ram probably isn't going to run it on high at 1080p but it's still all over the place on low settings at 720p.  At one point it couldn't even get past 10fps in the menu - no idea what the issue was but it required a complete PC reboot before it would start properly.

Secondly, and more importantly, I think the game is great.  The difficulty, for the most part, seems just about right i.e. I'm not dying too often and when I make progress I feel like I've actually achieved something.  Finally tackled the troll and the archers at the gate with some help from my wolves, had a bit of an explore and have landed at Margit.  After 3 attempts (I'm not counting the one where I threw myself off the cliff) I managed to get him to half health but I haven't figured out his attack patterns yet.  I might have to rethink my "hit harder not smarter" strategy.

Don't forget to engage in jolly cooperation! 
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 501
    I'd not realised offline summons were a thing!

Went off and did some more exploring before heading back to Margit.  Found some interesting things including a passage to a much higher level area that I couldn't fast travel out of.  Thought I'd completely screwed the playthrough but managed to run far enough that I found grace and was able to fast travel again.

Anyway, Margit's defeated (even if it did feel cheap using a summons!).  Still took multiple goes - first phase is relatively straight forward but the difficulty escalates somewhat after that.

Started my way into the castle but decided that I'd done enough for tonight.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2451
    Guess I'd better confess I have Elden Ring on PS5 and also PC.... first time I've double-dipped, and it's kind of cool. Two very different characters, both in different areas of the map, and it allows me to then work out where the other character might want to go to.

My vagabond detroyed the knight encampment by the castle gates pretty easily, which was nice. Also finally got the summoning bell (thanks for the tip!).

RockPaperShotgun have a guide on the suggested order in which to take on bosses, so I might follow that for a bit....

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/elden-ring-boss-locations

However, what annoys me in Elden Ring is all the useless comments from other players. It might have been funny the first few times, but seeing the same bullshit over and over again (Finger but hole LOLZ) gets very dull. Would be nice to actually see helpful comments from other players instead!

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7430
    wibble said:
    Anyone else thing the GT7 roulette is rigged? I never get the good shit! lol
    I get the smallest pile of cash the most, but last night I had the big pile and then I got some parts for a car I don’t have.
    I got gold on the first licence and am working my way through the second one. Absolutely loving it to far!
  • Elden ring is still good for me, but I'm finding it a little bit frustrating that lightweight, nimble classes are not as practical as they were in previous soulsborne games - lots of enemies simply spam attacks.

It's feels heavily built around the shield - strike thing, and I am mostly dual wielding or using a very light shield that doesn't seem to parry most enemies with heavy weapons.

I briefly tried a class with armour and a shield and it was an absolute doddle. Don't want to do all the stuff I've already done, though, so maybe I'll just start piling into endurance so I can wear some armour and use a bigger shield. 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7430
    I'm a few menu books after the Ford Mustangs. I'm finding that I have to tune the cars to be able to win now, but I'm not really sure what I'm doing. I get the sports suspension, fancy tyres and the brake kit. I did some weight relief on one of them but then I started spinning off the track on what seemed like normal corners.
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1057
    @ThePrettyDamned theres a point where you can actually respec your character. I did just that yesterday cos I was finding my usual way of playing was just not working out.