Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Video Killed the Video Star [A sort of Chappers Story]

What's Hot

Comments

• AdeyAdey Frets: 2425
    edited February 2020
    Internet forums, unfortunately, often magnify those worst aspects of human / animal nature - build up your status in a community, others then want to knock you back down.

The internet allows you to build yourself up more, and people collectively become more viscous in the knocking down because the audience is so much bigger.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7026
    But also people involved in internet forums tend to think the rest of the world is interested in them too. 

Like when TGP members hilariously tried to boycott Catalinbread over the Howard Gee fiasco saying it would really hit them where it hurts. If everyone on TGP stopped buying CB pedals it wouldn't amount to 0.01% of their global market. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    soma1975 said:
    But also people involved in internet forums tend to think the rest of the world is interested in them too. 

Like when TGP members hilariously tried to boycott Catalinbread over the Howard Gee fiasco saying it would really hit them where it hurts. If everyone on TGP stopped buying CB pedals it wouldn't amount to 0.01% of their global market. 
    Don't know anything about said fiasco but that's pretty funny.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4180
    I'm going to do a YT exposé on that little shit, Harley Benton.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • At this point, I am more interested in the effect automated bots is going to drive him further down. I was surprised to hear any more about it and I wonder if more videos added and they get pushed along does this just continue to grind a brand down. It seems figures are a bit down but a small drop in his barmy army, rather than a massive rejection. 

thegummy said:
    soma1975 said:

He got sacked then sued for allegedly trying to bring down the company so they had no choice to sell it to him and his partners after the founder died and his Mum took over. 

But he is an absolute TGP darling and his side of the story was believed despite nobody having any facts whatsoever. 

Suits and counter-suits have been settled now. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975 said:
    thegummy said:
    soma1975 said:

He got sacked then sued for allegedly trying to bring down the company so they had no choice to sell it to him and his partners after the founder died and his Mum took over. 

But he is an absolute TGP darling and his side of the story was believed despite nobody having any facts whatsoever. 

Suits and counter-suits have been settled now. 
    That's not my understanding, happy to be corrected of course.

Following the death of the founder his mother took ownership and later sacked several staff members, including Howard Gee.

Gee and some others sacked were later sued for stealing the company's intellectual property, now settled.

I don't remember any reference to, "trying to bring down the company".

Agreed Gee is a TGP darling, he was the designer responsible for some of Catalinbread's important pedals, eg the Belle Epoch Deluxe.  

Bit like the Van Cramm bloke responsible for all the good stuff coming out of Digitech until he got sacked as well.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2020

Gee maintained that he'd been promised shares in the company but obviously when the owner died and mum took over she ignored that.

Among the accusations were that they used the company email system to conspire to force her to sell the company to them. The allegations continued that they deliberately disrupted production to bring it to its knees.

The entirety of the allegations were very very strong. I don't think anyone came out of it smelling of roses. If the accused did 5% of what they were accused of it was some shitty behaviour. 

Tom Van Cramm is a superstar. And he can implement a tap tempo on a delay. 

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    I think it’s simple... You live by the sword, you die by the sword. :)

• Am I the only person on this entire forum who knows sweet FA about this recent Chapman thing?

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19393

Am I the only person on this entire forum who knows sweet FA about this recent Chapman thing?
    Halleluja! I thought I was the only one that didn't know anything about it/him/her & was happier for that blissful ignorance.
    Shall we see who gives less of a fuck?? :-D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320

Am I the only person on this entire forum who knows sweet FA about this recent Chapman thing?

He advertised stair lifts which apparently caused the horrific deaths of 2 elderly fat people.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19393
    17reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2425
    Kittyfrisk said:i

Halleluja! I thought I was the only one that didn't know anything about it/him/her & was happier for that blissful ignorance.
    Shall we see who gives less of a fuck?? :-D
    The amount of "feck" I can give is similar.

I'm not really hugely interested in other peoples'minor playground spats carried out in public and then analysed to buggery by those peeping over the playground wall...
    While I don't care about the topic in particular I am fascinated by groupthink, the concept of the internet pile-on and the 21st century phenomenon of entitled people believe they get a say or opinion in how people live their lives or in some cases create their art. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    thegummy said:
    Nothing travels more quickly than bad news. The Interweb is a conveniently anonymous location for a mass pile-on. No fear of receiving a real world thump up the conk! 

I have mixed opinions about Chapman - the man and the guitars. 
    It's kind of like road rage, how so many people from teenage girls to posh wimpy men will honk and shout so obnoxiously at people for making mistakes or when they think something is someone else's fault.

They wouldn't even dream of acting like that to anyone in person but in their car they feel safe and that the person will never find out who they are.

Same idea with the internet, I doubt many would be so hateful of someone in person but cowards find safety in anonymity.
    That is a very well observed point. Spot on. Have a wis.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11139
    edited February 2020 tFB Trader
    Wolfetone said:
    thegummy said:
    Nothing travels more quickly than bad news. The Interweb is a conveniently anonymous location for a mass pile-on. No fear of receiving a real world thump up the conk! 

I have mixed opinions about Chapman - the man and the guitars. 
    It's kind of like road rage, how so many people from teenage girls to posh wimpy men will honk and shout so obnoxiously at people for making mistakes or when they think something is someone else's fault.

They wouldn't even dream of acting like that to anyone in person but in their car they feel safe and that the person will never find out who they are.

Same idea with the internet, I doubt many would be so hateful of someone in person but cowards find safety in anonymity.
    That is a very well observed point. Spot on. Have a wis.
    This is the century of the keyboard warrior: someone who believes they have a high moral or ethical standpoint. Feels entitled enough under the cloak of internet anonymity and to assert their judgement on others without fear of reprisal. They will escalate from simple criticism to ferocious personal insult rapidly if they feel they are not being listened to, or it will create heightened drama  (which of course makes them appear more important).
    We have instant social networks with little policing, self appointed pundits and 'moral guardians' squabbling over their own grubby share of 'fifteen minutes of fame'. I have no opinion of on the original RC fracas, but watching it unfold is very close to watching a carcass being thrown into a sea full of frenzied sharks, who will bite each other as happily as the intended quarry.
    Welcome to 2020 ...  
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12723
    I've read all this, and still don't care. 

Other than RC himself, and the other 'celebrities' involved, I can't see it matters one little bit to anyone. Just the usual tittle tattle that distracts people from the boredom of their own lives...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Not that I’m overly fussed one way or t’other, but there a potted history of this spat (in a few lines) somewhere?

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7216
    edited February 2020
    and now, somewhat unbelievably / believably depending on your point of view, he's just been anounced on the ITV website as one of the next "celebs" in the jungle ffs

guitar guru and internet sensation they called him
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom