Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Video Killed the Video Star [A sort of Chappers Story]

What's Hot

Comments

• Freebird said:
    I'm waiting breathlessly for the slow rise and fall of Mary Spendor.
    You've just described the recurring dream of @darthed1981 ;

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7434
    I once commented in a guitar based facebook group about how I liked my axe fx 2 more than an Engl tube amp I used to have. A guy sent me a private message full of abuse offering his address and daring me to come fight him. 
    I didn't reply, but then a few months later i went to screenshot it for someone and saw he'd sent me another having an absolute bitch fit that id not been man enough to fight him haha.
    2reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    DefaultM said:
    I once commented in a guitar based facebook group about how I liked my axe fx 2 more than an Engl tube amp I used to have. A guy sent me a private message full of abuse offering his address and daring me to come fight him. 
    I didn't reply, but then a few months later i went to screenshot it for someone and saw he'd sent me another having an absolute bitch fit that id not been man enough to fight him haha.
    It's such a strange quirk that some people have where they merge things they've bought with their own identity to the point of taking comments on those things as if they were comments about the persons themselves.

It's really taking that to the next level to actually want to fight someone for preferring a different product though. Possibly more a case of mental illness than brand loyalty in that case.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • No we can’t have Mary in the same thread as Chappers yes she is another self promoting guitar person but she at least tried  to be doing it to fund her art if you like. Writes songs, gigs a bit etc. Talks way to much on a Tuesday. Lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    No we can’t have Mary in the same thread as Chappers yes she is another self promoting guitar person but she at least tried  to be doing it to fund her art if you like. Writes songs, gigs a bit etc. Talks way to much on a Tuesday. Lol
    Kind of sounds like you're saying Rob Chapman doesn't write songs or do gigs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7027
    3 charting songs in the last year, guys!

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    JerkMoans said:
    May I confess I have no idea who this Chappers fellow is?
    Yeah right...
    ?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12466
    Freebird said:
    I'm waiting breathlessly for the slow rise and fall of Mary Spendor.
    You've just described the recurring dream of @darthed1981 ;

@Legionreturns a hilarious, and wholly accurate, statement! :lol:
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Right it's been a bloody long time since I've been here and actually this thread is the reason I came out of the woodwork (as they say).

I subscribe to the Andertons channel on the Tube and I remember thinking the other day... where'd Chappers go? Nothing wrong with Danish Pete, Rabbea, Matt, The Captain etc. love what those guys do! And they're all top-notch musicians. So is Rob Chapman. 

I found his video of course responding to the whole thing and just thought wow... people are insane. 

At the end of the day all I can say is I would stand with Chappers. I know, it comes with the territory, being "internet famous" but some of the stuff people have said/done honestly makes me feel a little bit sick because none of it was provoked. Just really wish people had something better to do with their lives and their time and money than to drag other people down for what they do and what they stand for. Seems like somebody may have just been jealous? That's all I'm seeing here.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12466
    I subscribe to the Andertons channel on the Tube and I remember thinking the other day... where'd Chappers go? Nothing wrong with Danish Pete, Rabbea, Matt, The Captain etc. love what those guys do! And they're all top-notch musicians. So is Rob Chapman. 

I found his video of course responding to the whole thing and just thought wow... people are insane.

To be fair to Andertons, when directly asked Lee has said that Chappers is having a break and will be back.

I expect they both agreed that making a lot of sales videos where the comments are going to turn into the nasty version of the (actually pretty civilised) ongoing debate on Rob we see on TFB, was probably pretty unwise.

I'm personally enjoying currently the balancing act they continue to perfect of "the new Epis are really good, compare well to Gibson... but Gibson are better... buy Gibson... but the new Epis are really close so buy them...but don't not buy Gibson.... buy things, things from us BUY THEM"

They should just get Mary Spender on going "look into my eyes, my big eyes, not around the eyes, look into my eyes, you're under, now, go on Andertons website get your credit card..."

Would work on me anyhow.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Do a lot of the most popular Youtube guitar people attract the same kind of hatred and derision or is it just him?

If the latter, I wonder what it is about him that makes him the target. Couldn't be jealousy if there are people just as popular and just as skilled who don't attract the hatred.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7220
    thegummy said:
    Do a lot of the most popular Youtube guitar people attract the same kind of hatred and derision or is it just him?

If the latter, I wonder what it is about him that makes him the target. Couldn't be jealousy if there are people just as popular and just as skilled who don't attract the hatred.
    Fear, it's not jealousy but fear.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultM said:
    Sorry mate. I'd done way too much cocaine that weekend!

Bye!

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4180
    tony99 said:
    thegummy said:

Yes, fear.

I quiver and quake at the Monkey Lord's "Massive Online Power" and his simian army of fanbois who do his bidding.

<quiver>
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27093
    edited February 2020
    tony99 said:
    thegummy said:

It's nothing of the sort, and @thegummy has the premise wrong - it's nothing to do with popular YouTube guitar people.

This is a trend that's been picking up speed for the last couple of years in all YouTube genres - the idea of using a "The Truth EXPOSED" video to nitpick and twist reality while taking aim at more popular users. That way, you inevitably get a massive boost in viewing figures. It's all over pretty much every other aspect of YouTube - fitness, makeup/makeovers, even kids' channels.

These videos usually have a grain of truth in them, but it's largely just "can I find a way to twist this into a macabre narrative, worded in such a way that nobody can directly dispute my arguments?". They sometimes hit on something that's actually damaging, but it's usually blind luck due to an absence of facts...and it only becomes damaging when the target responds.

That's exactly what's happened in this case. Most of KDH's video (and the subsequent videos from Levi et al) is really just utter tosh...but he did manage to provoke Rob into a response about Riff City, where it seems he was genuinely misrepresenting events.

The moral of this story is that Rob should've taken the advice he's been preaching for about a decade - don't feed the trolls.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7220
    Watched his latest vid before about his rig, good stuff

seems he's back to his old self anyway
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tony99 said:
    thegummy said:

It's nothing of the sort, and @thegummy has the premise wrong - it's nothing to do with popular YouTube guitar people.

This is a trend that's been picking up speed for the last couple of years in all YouTube genres - the idea of using a "The Truth EXPOSED" video to nitpick and twist reality while taking aim at more popular users. That way, you inevitably get a massive boost in viewing figures. It's all over pretty much every other aspect of YouTube - fitness, makeup/makeovers, even kids' channels.

These videos usually have a grain of truth in them, but it's largely just "can I find a way to twist this into a macabre narrative, worded in such a way that nobody can directly dispute my arguments?". They sometimes hit on something that's actually damaging, but it's usually blind luck due to an absence of facts...and it only becomes damaging when the target responds.

That's exactly what's happened in this case. Most of KDH's video (and the subsequent videos from Levi et al) is really just utter tosh...but he did manage to provoke Rob into a response about Riff City, where it seems he was genuinely misrepresenting events.

The moral of this story is that Rob should've taken the advice he's been preaching for about a decade - don't feed the trolls.
    That's good insight in to something I find very very sad.

Question still stands though - even though there are all kinds of Youtube people targeted, is Rob attracting more hatred than other Youtubers whose topic is the same as his or do other people with that topic also get targeted?
  • Pete Thorn is a YT guitar personality who has been active for over 10 years and i've never seen or heard anything negative about him....ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7027
    Tim Pierce too. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    soma1975 said:
    Tim Pierce too. 
    Now there's a legend.

I actually got in to him before YouTube guitar channels were a thing, he was on an Alan Parsons educational DVD.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom