Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Video Killed the Video Star [A sort of Chappers Story]

What's Hot

Comments

• idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1465
    edited February 2020
    thegummy said:
    It seems there's a bit of debate over the intricate technicalities of tax laws.

...wouldn't give any pleasure to the person and they wouldn't have bought it anyway ...

they surely can't believe that videoing a guitar for a few minutes before then using it privately for life legitimately stops it being a personal luxury item.
    It is irrelevant whether a business expenditure gives any pleasure or not (or is some kind of luxury). If you are buying something for business use it hardly matters whether it is box of nails or a Rembrandt to hang on the office wall. The important point is that it is being used for business purposes. As soon as it is used privately – including being gifted to a family member – that non-business use has to be accounted for in the books. In the case of a guitar given to a family member, a balancing charge would likely be made. In reality, it is not uncommon for small business owners to buy stuff through the business and use it privately, give it away or sell it later on (often after using it within the business) without accounting for the sale through the books. Often this is done through ignorance of tax laws and often is just wilful tax evasion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5461
    I'd also add laziness.

I can't be arsed to keep the receipts and do the books for all the milk, sugar, coffee, loo roll etc I buy for the office. I also can't be arsed to work out the hypothetical personal utility I get from using the off-site backup NAS as a dumping ground for my own domestic files.

Minor infringements more or less balance out,  and are likely to amount to a few quid at the end of the day, either way. Probably in the tax man's favour, given that I fail to claim for more than I get ambiguous benefit from.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11529
    thegummy said:
    It seems there's a bit of debate over the intricate technicalities of tax laws.

...wouldn't give any pleasure to the person and they wouldn't have bought it anyway ...

they surely can't believe that videoing a guitar for a few minutes before then using it privately for life legitimately stops it being a personal luxury item.
    It is irrelevant whether a business expenditure gives any pleasure or not (or is some kind of luxury). If you are buying something for business use it hardly matters whether it is box of nails or a Rembrandt to hang on the office wall. The important point is that it is being used for business purposes. As soon as it is used privately – including being gifted to a family member – that non-business use has to be accounted for in the books. In the case of a guitar given to a family member, a balancing charge would likely be made. In reality, it is not uncommon for small business owners to buy stuff through the business and use it privately, give it away or sell it later on (often after using it within the business) without accounting for the sale through the books. Often this is done through ignorance of tax laws and often is just wilful tax evasion.

Or they let it "depreciate" for 5 years or so, when in tax purposes they can write it off, and then "give" it.

I'm not sure that one video is going to come anywhere near paying for a PRS, but if he uses it in a number of other videos, or records something with it, then he can probably get away with claiming it reasonably legimately.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7027
    Christ. As I said earlier the lengths people will twist themselves into just so they can persuade themselves he is a wrongun has reached a new low.

But but but.... What if he doesn't fill out his tax return the way I want him to? Just pathetic.

Either like him or don't like him. Stop inventing bollocks. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    Let he who casts the first accusation of errant tax behaviour be the first to post a ten year breakdown of all his incomings and outgoings for detailed public scrutiny.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
    As a freelancer who loves both what he does and the kit involved in doing the job, it is absolutely possible to claim for things I like. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    potted history 
    One of the video disputants seems to be on something stronger than that.  o

EDIT: The American slang expressions that best summarise this entire YT video slanging match are Emo and Butthurt. (The well-known firm of solicitors.)
    Or how about the real life firm of solicitors called Argue and Phibbs! 
    http://www.skibbereeneagle.ie/uncategorized/argue-and-phibbs/
  • CleckoClecko Frets: 297
    I've been vaguely aware of this hoo-ha for a while but hadn't really followed it. Noting that several people in this thread were in the same boat, I took myself off to have a look and I have to say that I still wasn't that clear even after watching several of the source videos! I think I've got the gist now, but it is a bit odd that it all started in the first place. 
  • Clecko said:
    I've been vaguely aware of this hoo-ha for a while but hadn't really followed it. Noting that several people in this thread were in the same boat, I took myself off to have a look and I have to say that I still wasn't that clear even after watching several of the source videos! I think I've got the gist now, but it is a bit odd that it all started in the first place
    See my post earlier for an explanation. It's really no more complex than "A guy with a small channel wants to make it bigger by taking potshots at people who've put genuine work in for a long time".
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    soma1975 said:
    Christ. As I said earlier the lengths people will twist themselves into just so they can persuade themselves he is a wrongun has reached a new low.

But but but.... What if he doesn't fill out his tax return the way I want him to? Just pathetic.

For me it's that I've been a fan of him musically for a few years, never had any negative thoughts about him before as I'm indifferent to his social media stuff but now I learn about the tax thing I like him a bit less.

I've forgiven artists for a lot worse than that though so I still like him.
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    thegummy said:
    soma1975 said:

For me it's that I've been a fan of him musically for a few years, never had any negative thoughts about him before as I'm indifferent to his social media stuff but now I learn about the tax thing I like him a bit less.

Seriously? The biggest bands in history leave the country and arrange all their travel to ensure they are not incurring tax ‘unnecessarily’ and this guy can’t buy a guitar? Nahh, I might not be a fan of his styling / music & humour but good luck to him. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Fifty9 said:
    thegummy said:
    soma1975 said:

Seriously? The biggest bands in history leave the country and arrange all their travel to ensure they are not incurring tax ‘unnecessarily’ and this guy can’t buy a guitar? Nahh, I might not be a fan of his styling / music & humour but good luck to him. 
    Think you've misread my post you replied to.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 629
    edited February 2020
    What amuses me most so far is I/You/whoever haven't seen the mans tax return and its really none of my /insert/ your business sooooo in the words of my favourite frozen song - let it go, let it go
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7433
    He just seems like a bit of an idiot that doesn't know when to stop talking. He should never have made that video response to the first guy, and who on earth thinks it's a good idea to publicly start talking about tax when you've got so many people that can't stand you?
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    DefaultM said:
    He just seems like a bit of an idiot that doesn't know when to stop talking. He should never have made that video response to the first guy, and who on earth thinks it's a good idea to publicly start talking about tax when you've got so many people that can't stand you?
    One word = Ego, that’s all it is.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Can't really judge having never been in that position.

For normal people it's easy to just dismiss or ignore a few trolls or online haters but we don't know what it's like to have a constant barrage of it, not even just directed at us but with people actually making their own videos just to talk shit about us.

We can't really know how we'd react to that, it's crazy to think people actually make those videos.

It's kind of like celebrities and the tabloids looking for their next person to destroy with lies to sell papers for a couple of months; it's easy for us to say we'd just not let it bother us and we'd just ignore it but it might not be so easy when it actually happens.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1847
    I used to watch Chapper’s videos, then I started to find him a bit irritating so I stopped watching them. 

Easy as that really
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
    the_jaffa said:
    I used to watch Chapper’s videos, then I started to find him a bit irritating so I stopped watching them. 

Easy as that really
    Absolutely. That's why the only one I have anything against is the one that pops up on basically every channel with a decent number of subscribers that has anything to do with guitar.

So that choice is taken away from me.
    thegummy said:
    the_jaffa said:

Easy as that really
     the one that pops up on basically every channel with a decent number of subscribers that has anything to do with guitar.
    Ariel Posen? 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1404
    I couldn’t give 2 shits about Chappers and his tax affairs. If you want to get your knickers in a twist and get puffed up, look up Facebook, google and amazons tax paying record in the uk and divert your energy into a campaign to get them to pay more tax. /rant
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom