Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Video Killed the Video Star [A sort of Chappers Story]

What's Hot

Comments

• tony99 said:
    and now, somewhat unbelievably / believably depending on your point of view, he's just been anounced on the ITV website as one of the next "celebs" in the jungle ffs

guitar guru and internet sensation they called him
    Damn you. 
    I actually googled this. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Not that I’m overly fussed one way or t’other, but there a potted history of this spat (in a few lines) somewhere?

Check the original "closed" post on the topic.. I recall there being a succint version of events..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Not that I’m overly fussed one way or t’other, but there a potted history of this spat (in a few lines) somewhere?

Check the original "closed" post on the topic.. I recall there being a succint version of events..

Jeez...just found it...I genuinely CBA to trawl through the vast quantity of posts on the thread. In this case, ignorance will be bliss... ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• the most Hipster thing you can do on the internet is claim to be too cool and dis-interested to comment on a thread that you just commented on telling everyone how dis-interested you are :)

8reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • Did I see a post elsewhere saying that Rob might be at The Guitar Show?

Not long to wait, then all the folk commenting on him might get a chance to say it in person. It'd be interesting to see how many actually take the opportunity ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14793
    edited February 2020
    potted history 
    One of the video disputants seems to be on something stronger than that.  o

EDIT: The American slang expressions that best summarise this entire YT video slanging match are Emo and Butthurt. (The well-known firm of solicitors.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    the most Hipster thing you can do on the internet is claim to be too cool and dis-interested to comment on a thread that you just commented on telling everyone how dis-interested you are :)
    The thread he said he's not interested in is locked so he can't have just posted in it...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Wolfetone said:
    thegummy said:
    Nothing travels more quickly than bad news. The Interweb is a conveniently anonymous location for a mass pile-on. No fear of receiving a real world thump up the conk! 

I have mixed opinions about Chapman - the man and the guitars. 
    It's kind of like road rage, how so many people from teenage girls to posh wimpy men will honk and shout so obnoxiously at people for making mistakes or when they think something is someone else's fault.

They wouldn't even dream of acting like that to anyone in person but in their car they feel safe and that the person will never find out who they are.

Same idea with the internet, I doubt many would be so hateful of someone in person but cowards find safety in anonymity.
    That is a very well observed point. Spot on. Have a wis.
    This is the century of the keyboard warrior: someone who believes they have a high moral or ethical standpoint. Feels entitled enough under the cloak of internet anonymity and to assert their judgement on others without fear of reprisal. They will escalate from simple criticism to ferocious personal insult rapidly if they feel they are not being listened to, or it will create heightened drama  (which of course makes them appear more important).
    We have instant social networks with little policing, self appointed pundits and 'moral guardians' squabbling over their own grubby share of 'fifteen minutes of fame'. I have no opinion of on the original RC fracas, but watching it unfold is very close to watching a carcass being thrown into a sea full of frenzied sharks, who will bite each other as happily as the intended quarry.
    Welcome to 2020 ...  

There have been a couple of things where people who've received internet abuse have tracked down the people who wrote it and knocked on their doors; they've unfailingly been nice polite young men who, as said above, wouldn't dream of behaving like that in real life and seemingly haven't made the connection between the vitriol they type and the person reading it at teh other end.

I seem to remember that one of the people who did this was Noel Edmonds... I might be imagining that though
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4180
    edited February 2020
    Maybe we should get Noel Edmonds to go and visit Chappers, then.

BTW, does anyone know who the first stunt man was?
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• BTW, does anyone know who the first stunt man was?
    That made me chuckle... ;)
  • On another forum i frequent a chap talking about how internet based disagreements escalate said “that’s nothing, I once gave out my full address so a bloke could come round and fight me”.  The other party didn’t take up the invitation.  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • On another forum i frequent a chap talking about how internet based disagreements escalate said “that’s nothing, I once gave out my full address so a bloke could come round and fight me”.  The other party didn’t take up the invitation.  
    That actually did happen on Musicradar once.

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14793
    Happy Days. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7220
    Happy Days. ;)
    It wasn't Happy Days it was the A-Team ffs we've been through this.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4180
    Did Henry Winkler (a.k.a the Fonz) do his own stunts? And, if so, does anyone know what he did?
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8871
    May I confess I have no idea who this Chappers fellow is?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited February 2020
    I'm waiting breathlessly for the slow rise and fall of Mary Spender.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

There have been a couple of things where people who've received internet abuse have tracked down the people who wrote it and knocked on their doors; they've unfailingly been nice polite young men who, as said above, wouldn't dream of behaving like that in real life and seemingly haven't made the connection between the vitriol they type and the person reading it at teh other end.

I seem to remember that one of the people who did this was Noel Edmonds... I might be imagining that though
    I saw a video where Tommy Robinson went to visit some young guy who'd sent him some idiotic abuse (it wasn't a valid political point or anything) and the boy was absolutely shitting himself. Robinson wasn't intending on hurting him or anything, just called him on not being able to back up the insult and was right about that.

Basically just making the same point as is being made in this thread, i.e. "I'm getting all this abuse but most of you wouldn't say it to my face and half of you don't even understand what you're saying anyway".
  • JerkMoans said:
    May I confess I have no idea who this Chappers fellow is?
    Yeah right...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Freebird said:
    I'm waiting breathlessly for the slow rise and fall of Mary Spendor.
    If she rose any further it'd be to the point where I'd go to the cupboard to get a tin of soup and the soup would be "chicken and noodle, this week also featuring Mary Spender"