Home Brewing (Complete Noob)

What's Hot
1111213141517»

Comments

• RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    When you say you have 2 in the fridge, do you mean the Hazy IPA?  A week probably isn't long enough for carbonation in a warm environment.  I suspect that even after 2 weeks or more that it will be pretty much completely flat.

On the rare occasion I bottle condition I generally go with 2 weeks warm and a week in the fridge.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1015
    RedRabbit said:
    Sorry if someone's already asked a similar question, but I'm thinking about getting one of those stainless fermenting vessels and wondered what the scoop is. I'm looking at a smaller 13 litre; are they worth the money?
    I've not got any stainless steel fermenters so I'm not sure I can really comment but, for low-scale homebrewing, I'm not sure I see the point other than to look pretty.

What advantages there are really depends on how high up the price range you are looking.  If it's essentially just a stainless steel bucket I think the only advantage over plastic is cleaning.  Plastic can get scratched and the scratches can harbour nasties that can cause infection.  The really high-end stainless stuff adds various ports and fittings that are appealing but I think you've got to be taking things pretty seriously to "need" a fermenter like that.

If you're looking to spend a bit on improving your fermentation process, I'd be looking at temperature control before fancy fermentation vessels.  If you've already got temp control sorted then I'd be tempted to look at higher-end plastic fermenters (fermzilla etc) but these are still only really worth it if you'll make use of the additional functionality.

I've moved away from buckets as a fermzilla allows for oxygen free transfers to a keg but other than that I'd still be perfectly happy brewing in a plastic bucket.

Cheers for the reply/ I'll check out those Fermizilla jobbies.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    RedRabbit said:
    When you say you have 2 in the fridge, do you mean the Hazy IPA?  A week probably isn't long enough for carbonation in a warm environment.  I suspect that even after 2 weeks or more that it will be pretty much completely flat.

On the rare occasion I bottle condition I generally go with 2 weeks warm and a week in the fridge.
    Yes, the Hazy IPA. I don’t mind drinking it flat at the end of the week, just to see how it tastes tbh. The other 28 bottles I will leave for a full two weeks minimum at room temperature.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    I still have a few bottles of the Hazy IPA left & Im happy to report that it did turn out really good. It definitely didn’t have that home brew ‘twang’ that people often mention. If I bought it in a pub I would be happy paying for a few pints of it. So I would 100% recommend that Muntons beer kit, and will most likely try out more from their ‘Flagship’ range: https://www.muntons.com/brewkit_type/muntons-flagship-range/

Thanks @RedRabbit & @hywelg ;for the cleaning advice guys & also by avoiding using my auto-siphon, I feel much more confident that I will make successful beers going forward.