Beware - Essex Recording Studios overpriced content

What's Hot

Comments

• icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 372
    G&H ask for additional 20% of the hammer price if your stood in the room and 24% online, that's what stopped me pulling the trigger on a. superb guitar today.... I hope this guy didn't buy it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975 said:
    Yep I'm not a fan of middlemen that don't offer any added value for their markup. 

No added value?? He takes bog standard guitars and gets them played by famous people, sometimes in the past, and sometimes after they're dead! Think of all the work that must involve! :lol: 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1359
     themeinside said:
    He must occasionally sell stuff at his overinflated prices as well. People can say “it’s capitalism, no one’s forcing anyone to buy from him” but what it boils down to really is ripping people off. 

There are loads of situations where it wouldn’t be deemed acceptable. If you went to a garage to get your car fixed and you later found out they charged you four times more than average you’d be rightly pissed off. People buy gear from Andertons and see the same thing advertised elsewhere cheaper and expect them to refund the difference. Why should this absolute bellend not be held to the same standards?
    It is capitalism however morally reprehensible..

Let’s ignore the ‘artist association’ rubbish for a moment and assume it’s just a guitar. Anyone can discover what the market considers a representative resale value is. The seller can market it for whatever he wants and the market decides.

The issue here is the ‘artist association’. This makes it memorabilia and hence the seller can advertise for whatever price he likes again. The market can again decide however pricing this becomes more difficult. That’s the whole seller strategy here..

Again that’s fine with one exception. The man has a track record of blatantly lying about everything.

With respect to Andertons their price matching strategy is entirely their commercial choice. They have no obligation to do so. 

Si
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ten77guitarten77guitar Frets: 1174
    edited March 2020
     themeinside said:
    He must occasionally sell stuff at his overinflated prices as well. People can say “it’s capitalism, no one’s forcing anyone to buy from him” but what it boils down to really is ripping people off. 

There are loads of situations where it wouldn’t be deemed acceptable. If you went to a garage to get your car fixed and you later found out they charged you four times more than average you’d be rightly pissed off. People buy gear from Andertons and see the same thing advertised elsewhere cheaper and expect them to refund the difference. Why should this absolute bellend not be held to the same standards?

Let’s ignore the ‘artist association’ rubbish for a moment and assume it’s just a guitar. Anyone can discover what the market considers a representative resale value is. The seller can market it for whatever he wants and the market decides.

The issue here is the ‘artist association’. This makes it memorabilia and hence the seller can advertise for whatever price he likes again. The market can again decide however pricing this becomes more difficult. That’s the whole seller strategy here..

Again that’s fine with one exception. The man has a track record of blatantly lying about everything.

With respect to Andertons their price matching strategy is entirely their commercial choice. They have no obligation to do so. 

Si
    Yeah fair enough, I hadn’t really considered the artist association part. I suppose theoretically someone could be such a Bush fan that they’d be prepared to pay twice the market value or more for that guitar.

I disagree with you if you take away the artist association though. Trading standards can take action against builders who overcharge for their services. People can find out what the average rate is for building work. If a builder overcharges he’s ripping off the client. I don’t see how this is any different.

If he has a track record of lying about what he’s selling though he’s a conman. Simple as.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1359
     themeinside said:

Si
    Yeah fair enough, I hadn’t really considered the artist association part. I suppose theoretically someone could be such a Bush fan that they’d be prepared to pay twice the market value or more for that guitar.

I disagree with you if you take away the artist association though. Trading standards can take action against builders who overcharge for their services. People can find out what the average rate is for building work. If a builder overcharges he’s ripping off the client. I don’t see how this is any different.

If he has a track record of lying about what he’s selling though he’s a conman. Simple as.
    I’m no expert but trading standards cannot do anything about you paying more than the market rate for something. Incorrectly described goods, scams, poor quality yes..
    edited March 2020
    I’m no expert but trading standards cannot do anything about you paying more than the market rate for something. Incorrectly described goods, scams, poor quality yes..
    You might be right then. There’s some reference to it in the case below but they were also charging for work not carried out so not sure if they would have been found guilty of fraud if it was only a case of overcharging. But it does sound like that is taken into account as part of a fraud case.

https://www.duncanlewis.co.uk/crime_news/Building_firm_prosecuted_under_Fraud_Act_for_overcharging_customers__(22_March_2016).html
  • Tat2dsteshTat2dstesh Frets: 193
    Hes tried to low ball me numerous times on Ebay but looking through his for sale collection I have to question  this one the most

https://reverb.com/item/28307206-esp-custom-shop-celebrity-artist-owned-by-iron-maiden-with-tour-flight-case-coa-phoenix-firebird

I'm not the biggest maiden fan in the world but certainly have no memory of dave Murray playing this when I did like them when I was younger.. people can certainly correct me if I'm wrong though but 20k come on that's insane 
    Jesus I’ve just noticed all his positive feedback on Reverb! As if any more evidence were required but fuck me there are some dumb cunts out there.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Advertising stuff at outrageous prices increases people's expectation of true value. We all end up paying more because of creeps like him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1052
    He is a bell end and his pricing is insane. I pity any poor sucker that buys anything from him :)
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    Hes tried to low ball me numerous times on Ebay but looking through his for sale collection I have to question  this one the most

https://reverb.com/item/28307206-esp-custom-shop-celebrity-artist-owned-by-iron-maiden-with-tour-flight-case-coa-phoenix-firebird

I'm not the biggest maiden fan in the world but certainly have no memory of dave Murray playing this when I did like them when I was younger.. people can certainly correct me if I'm wrong though but 20k come on that's insane 
    I could get called out and look a fool here, but the only association Dave Murray had with ESP were strats. Never known him play anything other than a strat. Adrian Smith possibly. 
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    Just read the ad. He's very cleverly not stating that Dave Murray actually played the guitar. But he's insinuating  he did by his association with ESP. All he claims is 'Played by Iron Maiden!'
    What, all of them?
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5108
    edited March 2020
    icu81b4 said:
    G&H ask for additional 20% of the hammer price if your stood in the room and 24% online, that's what stopped me pulling the trigger on a. superb guitar today.... I hope this guy didn't buy it. 
    The standard buyers commission is 20% + VAT = 24%. And there’s an additional 2.5% + VAT if you bid online through GH or an additional 4.95% + VAT if you bid online with thesaleroom.

Oh, and of course the seller pays commission to the auctioneer too!
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited March 2020
    In 2005 Vintage & Rare in Denmark Street sold a pair of Ex Nigel Pulsford Custom Shop Strats for under a grand. I seem to remember the hard tail one with three Dimarzio Chopper style pickups went for £850.00. 

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited March 2020
    I like bush. Comedown is another good tune.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31925
    I sold my '63 Strat to Nigel Pulsford, which I thought he would probably move on through the shop, but he's kept it in his studio. 

He gave me a fair price and offered me some stunning guitars if I wanted to trade, it would be hilarious if that had gone to Essex Man though. 
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1333
    CeeJay said:
    Just read the ad. He's very cleverly not stating that Dave Murray actually played the guitar. But he's insinuating  he did by his association with ESP. All he claims is 'Played by Iron Maiden!'
    What, all of them?
    Gang banging it mate!
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3377
    I’m a fan of Bush (well up to the split the reformed band is meh). 
    You what, if I had the money....ner I still wouldn’t buy from this clown. 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3021
    The last band I was in used to do a cover of “Swallowed”, it went down pretty well as I recall 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBob said:
    The last band I was in used to do a cover of “Swallowed”, it went down pretty well as I recall 
    Reminds me of my ex. 

God I miss her! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.