Beware - Essex Recording Studios overpriced content

What's Hot

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    I owned a pedal that was looked at by a guy who walked past the factory where Eric Claptons light bulbs are made.

Normally £50, now £2000.
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4692
    lets all watch Batman this weekend and see if we can spot it 

we wont 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 168
    Is there a way on Reverb to see how much stuff was originally listed for and how much it eventually sold for?
    I wonder how often this guy sells stuff for the price he originally listed it at.

Someone should act as an interested buyer of the Batman speaker cab but ask him for a screen grab from the Batman film showing the speaker in a movie. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8040
    So the £50 description: 

Bought from an American friend who had it from new and brought it over from California. He worked at film studios there hence the Batman cover! 

And the £999 description:

This cab was brought to London from Los Angeles years ago by a set designer who worked on the early Batman films where this apparently was used as a prop on set. This person also worked in Jim Henson's prop shop and came to London to work on one of his projects, bringing this cab with him. 

Of course, all of that new information could very well have come about from conversation. The work at Jim Henson's prop shop does nothing to the value of the cab but makes it for nice feel-good-provenance-hot-cocoa-sipping-comforting-goodness.

The middle bit, where 'this apparently was used as a prop on set' is the what hikes it up £950, and if it's true it is legitimately more valuable than your run-of-the-mill Jackson cabs. The problem is this 'apparently'. Either it was used or it was not used. If there is provenance, a screen-cap of the scene where it's used or other evidence, then it fair enough, otherwise it's just waffle.

Not waffle.

Lies - used to increase perceived value.

It's inherently unethical. :(

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • ten77guitarten77guitar Frets: 1174
    So the £50 description: 

Bought from an American friend who had it from new and brought it over from California. He worked at film studios there hence the Batman cover! 

And the £999 description:

This cab was brought to London from Los Angeles years ago by a set designer who worked on the early Batman films where this apparently was used as a prop on set. This person also worked in Jim Henson's prop shop and came to London to work on one of his projects, bringing this cab with him. 

Of course, all of that new information could very well have come about from conversation. The work at Jim Henson's prop shop does nothing to the value of the cab but makes it for nice feel-good-provenance-hot-cocoa-sipping-comforting-goodness.

The middle bit, where 'this apparently was used as a prop on set' is the what hikes it up £950, and if it's true it is legitimately more valuable than your run-of-the-mill Jackson cabs. The problem is this 'apparently'. Either it was used or it was not used. If there is provenance, a screen-cap of the scene where it's used or other evidence, then it fair enough, otherwise it's just waffle.

Not waffle.

Lies - used to increase perceived value.

It's inherently unethical. :(
    And if they are indeed lies - illegal.
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461

With respect to Andertons their price matching strategy is entirely their commercial choice. They have no obligation to do so. 

Si
    Agreed, and I think you'll find they very rarely (if ever) do price matching any more.  I've asked three or four times in the last couple of years and they don't seem to even attempt to compete with other prices now.
    But again, this is their choice,and my observation alone, so apologies for the digression....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Tat2dsteshTat2dstesh Frets: 193

With respect to Andertons their price matching strategy is entirely their commercial choice. They have no obligation to do so. 

Si
    Agreed, and I think you'll find they very rarely (if ever) do price matching any more.  I've asked three or four times in the last couple of years and they don't seem to even attempt to compete with other prices now.
    But again, this is their choice,and my observation alone, so apologies for the digression....

There is a difference between price matching at a shop and what this guy does.
    If a shop has something for sale and its cheaper in another shop its up to that shop if they want your business or up to you if you want to buy from shop A or Shop B.

But if I walked into a guitar shop and the guitar on the wall said something like ex-artist used on whatever album and during this tour etc and I bought it as I was a fan. Now imagine if I went to sell this guitar and a collector came to look at it and confirmed that this was never used by the person but was a similar guitar, that in reality would have been illegal for the shop to lie and bump up a price to make a massive profit on someone elses expense.This guy is increasing the value by an extortionate rate and using terms like rare, ex-artist etc to justify items that have been bought for market value or less than market value. I feel sorry for the buyers as if they come to sell they will loose not just a bit of money but will loose lots of money from buying a bulls**t COA or story. He was reported to Ebay and started using his wife/girlfriends account to do the same and now is on Reverb. He should be reported to Reverb too if possible and try and get him off sale sites.
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3097
    Doesn't help the batman logo is from one of the terrible Batman's films that no one wants to remember
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1359
    There are lots of posts here but ultimately I think we share the basic view:

He can do what the heck he likes with pricing but stop lying about the provenance in order to con people..

He can do what the heck he likes with pricing but stop lying about the provenance in order to con people..

Agree. The pricing is not the biggest problem as just like shops they would buy a guitar off someone for under market value and sell for slightly above SH value (his price increase is still crazy), but the fact the one's he claims are ex-artist amps and guitars have no real proof besides a COA which can be forged and have been by him as he did with the relic ESP he sold

this is a prime example
    https://reverb.com/item/25593005-peavey-6505-artist-owned-by-bfmv-bullet-for-my-valentine-matt-tuck-studio-recording-amp-head-5150

• ModellistaModellista Frets: 2046

Agree. The pricing is not the biggest problem as just like shops they would buy a guitar off someone for under market value and sell for slightly above SH value (his price increase is still crazy), but the fact the one's he claims are ex-artist amps and guitars have no real proof besides a COA which can be forged and have been by him as he did with the relic ESP he sold

this is a prime example
    https://reverb.com/item/25593005-peavey-6505-artist-owned-by-bfmv-bullet-for-my-valentine-matt-tuck-studio-recording-amp-head-5150

I can’t stand the guy either but that one is probably true. There’s a video of the chap playing his Strat in the Essex studio so he probably played through that amp. Why it makes it so much more expensive is beyond me however. 

The Batman thing is almost certainly lies though. The Thin Lizzy Les Paul was all the proof I need that if this guy told me it was raining I’d walk outside to check if I got wet. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8040

On one hand, the real context behind this thread (if one wants to look at it that way) is the desirability/added value imparted by artist owned/artist played items.

That intangible "aura" of fame is precisely what this guy is exploiting, regardless how tenuous the link...

Personally, it means sweet FA to me, but that's obviously not the case for an awful lot of other people.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• InactiveXInactiveX Frets: 295
    Strat54 said:
    Doesn't Nigel Pulsford own Vintage N Rare in Bath? Odd.

Is this a fact? I'd really like to know.
    Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31925
    InactiveX said:
    Strat54 said:

He did two years ago when I sold him a Strat. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7125
    tFB Trader
    InactiveX said:
    Strat54 said:

That's easily verified:
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09199475/officers
    Stevepage said:
    thats a 200% markup on original buy price.. this guy is more trotter than a horses hoof.

Stevepage said:
    thats a 200% markup on original buy price.. this guy is more trotter than a horses hoof.

• InactiveXInactiveX Frets: 295
    InactiveX said:
    Strat54 said:

That's easily verified:

Thanks.
    Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23596
    InactiveX said:
    InactiveX said:
    Strat54 said:

That's easily verified:

Thanks.
    Interesting that he's Nigel Pulsford but it says Nigel Pulford.  Pretty dopey to spell someone's name wrong on Companies House.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7125
    tFB Trader
    Philly_Q said:
    InactiveX said:
    InactiveX said:
    Strat54 said:

That's easily verified:

Thanks.
    Interesting that he's Nigel Pulsford but it says Nigel Pulford.  Pretty dopey to spell someone's name wrong on Companies House.
    It must be a typo. Nigel Kenneth Pulsford is director of other companies, one of which is at the same address
    https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/officers/s87zL0aCniRYOduoIQz7sAsZHs0/appointments
This discussion has been closed.