Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Not using Anderton's again

What's Hot

Comments

• I like Lee. But the shop/business could stand some improvement.
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Andertons are just box shifters with a big online presence. 
    This 100%....and far too Smug for me.....they are nothing special. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • The big-red-warning light for me with Andertons was their pathetic sucking up to and subsequent doubling down on their relationship with known conman Vertex Effects.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7249
    edited October 2020
    I use them when they are the only retailer for certain kit. The Vertex thing sucks. 

In 2020 we have very little power left in this world but how we choose to spend our money is pretty much the only thing left to us that makes a difference. Where possible I prefer to spend my money with people  who demonstrably give a shit. 

Likewise I like to buy more locally in these times because if we don't support these businesses they will disappear. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    Send the whole lot back for a refund under distance selling.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 638
    Personally I've had nothing but excellent service from them - they had something for sale I ordered and paid for it, it arrived.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1274
    The big-red-warning light for me with Andertons was their pathetic sucking up to and subsequent doubling down on their relationship with known conman Vertex Effects.

I used Andertons quite often prior to that debacle, but I've never used them since. The whole Vertex thing left a very poor impression.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    i've found them very good when actually in the store, staff are knowledgeable, helpful and don't hassle you.  Online they are just average.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3432
    I’ve never had any problems with Andertons, they’ve always been very prompt and helpful. Guitarguitar have been marginally better, identifying problems before shipping and contacting me to offer a suitable reduction in cost. The only store I have ever had a problem with is the one everyone on here raves about -just shows not everyone gets it right all of the time, but one balls up probably shouldn’t lead to them being written off.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1822
    Again all positive from me
    at the end of the day stuff happens humans involved guy promised case trying to be a good customer rep boss looks at it as I have done and said sorry you are going to have to walk this back what we’re you thinking giving the customer a case making nothing oh and if you look at the cost price you are actually putting a 20 pound note in the case for the customer. Humans involved so stuff happens.

customer moans but I gave them a 1500 quid order they should suck up to me like I am the chick in pretty woman. No you gave the vat man 20% the tax man another chunk what you gave the store was the heavily discounted bit in the middle and because someone got it wrong you feel the need to name and shame them on the internet.

these days do people actually think that works other than you feel better sharing it and finding a few others with grudges to grind your gears. Ultimately the smart consumer turns the situation to his advantage. 

As one one of the largest online sellers with 1000’s of transactions per month stuff will go wrong it happens. 

Then you face the fact that Andertons are actually not a total basket case rip off company that most of the time get it right give good service and look after their customers.

As a good few on this thread have pointed out.

rant mode off

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • To expand on my comment - Andertons have made mistakes with my orders. But they've rectified them fairly promptly where they could. I think their after sales is pretty decent.

Bye!

• mbembe Frets: 1840
    The guitar manufacturers should supply the cases. You buy a cheap Chinese violin or a flute, it comes in a case. The reason why retailers don't want guitar manufacturers to supply cases is because that's another lucrative profit centre and they certainly aren't going to give that up.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8361
    It does sound like a v poor situation but by way of balance and context, I'd be pretty sure they have huge amounts of happy customers too.

Not sure I would use this one example as a reason not to use them but each to their own.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • antonyivantonyiv Frets: 304
    edited October 2020
    Adi said:
    Should we officially add Andertons to the weekly moan list along with the ever-hated ebay?;)
    For the past year and a half I've buying guitars mostly from eBay. Every transaction went smoothly and the products were as described. 

I think the bad sellers and buyers moved to Reverb for some reason. I can give many examples but one really stands out. A buyer raised a case against me because according to him the violin burst of my SA2200 was not red enough around the edges. This happened 2 hours after the sale before I even shipped the guitar. Good things is that I decided not to sell it anymore and I'm happy playing it.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andertons are just box shifters with a big online presence. 
    This is exactly my opinion of them. I’ve bought several guitars both personally , (when I lived in Guildford), and on line over a period of over 50 years. Harry Anderton who started the business was a drummer who always acted a bit like a market trader, Peter Anderton his son who succeeded him was quite low key and did a lot to develop the business. I assume that Lee, (AKA The Captain), is Peters son, he’s certainly done a lot to develop the shops online presence. When buying in the shop you always had to check things carefully before parting with your cash as their quality control wasn’t the best, online I’ve had the odd problems such as extremely long back order times, damaged goods and wrong parts. Why do I continue to deal with them? Basically low prices, at leat  90% of the time everything is good , which is about average for online shopping, I’m sure that most guitars sold online are never taken out of their boxes by the vendors.
  • Rob1742Rob1742 Frets: 1128
    Another positive from me on GG Birmingham. I don’t want to go into detail, but they go over and above every time. Without question it’s the go to place for me. Just outstanding knowledge, service and they have helped me out with things I had problems with that I purchased elsewhere. Outstanding. 
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 348
    edited October 2020
    mbe said:
    The guitar manufacturers should supply the cases. You buy a cheap Chinese violin or a flute, it comes in a case. The reason why retailers don't want guitar manufacturers to supply cases is because that's another lucrative profit centre and they certainly aren't going to give that up.
    I think every guitar  should come with a case and I just don’t see any reason why they don’t apart from money . It should be included .
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Andertons are just box shifters with a big online presence. 
    This is exactly my opinion of them. I’ve bought several guitars both personally , (when I lived in Guildford), and on line over a period of over 50 years. Harry Anderton who started the business was a drummer who always acted a bit like a market trader, Peter Anderton his son who succeeded him was quite low key and did a lot to develop the business. I assume that Lee, (AKA The Captain), is Peters son, he’s certainly done a lot to develop the shops online presence. 
    Pete was also a drummer and yes grandfather, father, son - I lived in Goldaming for a while, when I was 5 - Brother born there - And my dad called on Andertons, as a rep in the music trade, when they first opened in the mid 60's 
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 275
    Another vote for GG Birmingham from me. Had a slight issue with a guitar I bought from they, they put it right and compensated me for my trouble. 

• DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    I've only used them a few times. Never really had an issue with them.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.