Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Not using Anderton's again

What's Hot

Comments

• BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2716
    edited October 2020
    Always been wary of them since I bought a Gibson 339 off them a few years ago.  Guitar arrived loved the way it looked, sounded and played, but it wouldn't stay in tune for 5 minutes.  Probably just the nut needing some attention, but I'm not a tech and I didn't want to keep the guitar beyond the return period and find it was something more serious.  So I notified them I was returning it.  The attitude I got from staff instantly switched from we're-your-best-chums to absolutely glacial.

At first I just wanted a replacement, but I did ask to confirm the 7 day return period for the new guitar would date from the arrival of that guitar, not the first.  The reply (after consulting management) was no, the return period starts from the arrival of the first guitar.  So if the second guitar had arrived and was substandard it could have been too late to do anything about it (it was Christmas week and delivery times were unpredictable).  This seemed not only unreasonable but probably illegal, so I said ok don't send a replacement I'll just have my money back.

I must admit I was completely bewildered by their attitude.  For the sake of giving me a few more days to make up my mind (in fact I'd have been happy if they'd even guaranteed 2 days after arrival) they lost a £1,500 sale. It's not that I thought there were likely to be problems, but we all know about Gibson's QC and the whole point of buying from a dealer is that you're protected if you end up with a lemon. I've bought a good few guitars from distance and that was the only one I've ever returned, so it's not like I make a habit of it.

They then managed to screw up the arrangements for picking up the guitar so I waited in for hours for a non-arrival; and then took 3 weeks to refund my money.

I bought my 339 from Guitar Guitar.  I haven't bought anything from Andertons since.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nick79 said:
    Another vote for GG Birmingham from me. Had a slight issue with a guitar I bought from they, they put it right and compensated me for my trouble. 

GG Birmingham looked after me splendidly when I purchased my 345. Its a nice store to be in as well
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I have only purchased once from Andertons - a power brick. They said it was too late to get it to me pre a bank holiday, however they managed it - so I was quite impressed. No idea on their after sales though.

As for GuitarGuitar, they have been great whenever I have been in or ordered from them. I was once in the Camden store, and tried out an AVRI Jazzmaster - it was nearly new (still with pickguard protector film) and only £1089 The employee said to me I should buy it as it was a Really Good Deal.

Stupidly, I didn’t, as I wanted to hear more variations. Shoulda purchased and returned if I wasn’t sure...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    See for balance whilst I’ve had a couple issues with Andertons, they did get resolved and a good outcome. 

Guitarguitar for me have been a bit disappointing, though I’ve only used them online. 

First was the Snakebyte they sent with holes in the fretboard, tooling marks everywhere, cracks in the finish. 
    They didnt check it, put in their card or anything.. 

They didnt even put the invoice and receipt in the sleeve on the box, or email it to me, so apart from bank statements I had zero proof of purchase given to me. Luckily that didnt prove troublesome, but it showed they too just shift boxes. 

So GG obviously took it for a refund which I booked in asap in line with returns procedures etc, but as this was the 3rd Ltd in several months I had with awful QC, I wanted to try and get something sorted rather than keep ordering and hoping for the best.

Places didnt have much in stock at the time so wasnt as easy as a road trip to check some out in the flesh.

Raised it with Esp, they said as they are based in the states they can’t help. Even though it is their product and the guitars pass through their US dizzy centre first of all. 

They pointed me to the Uk distributor, Sound Services.  

SS were initially really helpful and confirmed it wasnt good, but said they had several in stock and would make sure one is checked for me by themselves before being sent on to a supplier for me to buy. 

The manager there delegated it to someone to then handle. 

They wouldnt/couldnt sell direct, which was a shame as I would have driven there and picked it up myself. 

So I said ok, thats great though, lets do it. 
    They said ok we will speak to GG to organise it and them/us will be in touch. 

A week goes by, nothing. 
    Chased SS, they said they hadnt heard back from GG but will chase. 

That was months ago, never did hear from either company since. So I let it go. 

Looking at replacements, I saw the Balaguer Hyperion in stock at GG. Spoke to them on live chat, said hey had a few issues with QC etc, would love to see a couple more detailed pics of one of the Hyperions ‘in the flesh’ before putting the cash down. 

GG said no, cant do that, stocks at the warehouse and the guitars will be as pictured on the website. 

The website has 2 low res manufacturer stock photos. 

Said forget it then as I couldnt be arsed ordering another guitar blind at the time. 

One time with Andertons I took a Boss Chorus pedal back within 7 days as it was wank. Was microphonic with gain and just wasnt up for it, so I wanted to exchange for an Angel wing. 

I explained I thought it was a bit faulty etc. Maybe it wasnt, I dunno. 

Bloke in the store said no. I said eh? No exchange? He said no, because I tested it and its fine, and people use us as a pedal exchange to try stuff. 

I took their returns leaflet off the desk and pointed out that it says they will refund, refund quoted as its own thing aside from exchange, any unwanted item subject to it having been subject to reasonable use.

He couldnt argue with that so refunded me in full. Negating his previous argument for an exchange. 

I said this is silly because you are refunding me £80 when I only want £35 back and the Angel Wing. But no, he had to process a full refund then I had to buy an Angel Wing seconds later as its own transaction. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My main issue with Andertons is their practice of charging your card for the full amount for things they don't actually have in stock, and then the ever-shifting target of when they'll get the item in question back in, with promised dates coming and going and all the time they have your cash. Not sure if they still do that though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    Rob1742 said:
    Another positive from me on GG Birmingham. I don’t want to go into detail, but they go over and above every time. Without question it’s the go to place for me. Just outstanding knowledge, service and they have helped me out with things I had problems with that I purchased elsewhere. Outstanding. 
    nick79 said:
    Another vote for GG Birmingham from me. Had a slight issue with a guitar I bought from they, they put it right and compensated me for my trouble. 

My one experience of GG Birmingham is that they were overly pushy and not particularly helpful.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    Again all positive from me
    at the end of the day stuff happens humans involved guy promised case trying to be a good customer rep boss looks at it as I have done and said sorry you are going to have to walk this back what we’re you thinking giving the customer a case making nothing oh and if you look at the cost price you are actually putting a 20 pound note in the case for the customer. Humans involved so stuff happens.

customer moans but I gave them a 1500 quid order they should suck up to me like I am the chick in pretty woman. No you gave the vat man 20% the tax man another chunk what you gave the store was the heavily discounted bit in the middle and because someone got it wrong you feel the need to name and shame them on the internet.

these days do people actually think that works other than you feel better sharing it and finding a few others with grudges to grind your gears. Ultimately the smart consumer turns the situation to his advantage. 

As one one of the largest online sellers with 1000’s of transactions per month stuff will go wrong it happens. 

Then you face the fact that Andertons are actually not a total basket case rip off company that most of the time get it right give good service and look after their customers.

As a good few on this thread have pointed out.

rant mode off

It was the series of broken promises that put me off but okay
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    My personal experience is that it's always down to individual workers rather than shops as a whole how good they are. I.e. in the same shop I've had very useful help from some and useless help from others.

It makes sense that this would usually be the case.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16678
    I have found them perfectly ok but nothing special
    I don't have a favourite guitar store.........they're all just shops,nothing more
  • Andertons are fine (by fine I mean, 5-out-of-10 mediocre) for buying things off the shelf, and utterly dogshit for buying anything of value, or anything with which you need actual assistance. Their supposed expert staff are all first-year ACM students who are only working there for the staff discount.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2413
    My main issue with Andertons is their practice of charging your card for the full amount for things they don't actually have in stock, and then the ever-shifting target of when they'll get the item in question back in, with promised dates coming and going and all the time they have your cash. Not sure if they still do that though.
    Yep. Hate that. 
  • BorkBork Frets: 265
    Message Lee on FB.  Tell him the names of the staff involved and ask for help.  He and I have occasional chats about retail  and product trend related things.

[This space for rent]

• skunkwerx said:
    See for balance whilst I’ve had a couple issues with Andertons, they did get resolved and a good outcome. 

Guitarguitar for me have been a bit disappointing, though I’ve only used them online. 

First was the Snakebyte they sent with holes in the fretboard, tooling marks everywhere, cracks in the finish. 
    They didnt check it, put in their card or anything.. 

They didnt even put the invoice and receipt in the sleeve on the box, or email it to me, so apart from bank statements I had zero proof of purchase given to me. Luckily that didnt prove troublesome, but it showed they too just shift boxes. 

So GG obviously took it for a refund which I booked in asap in line with returns procedures etc, but as this was the 3rd Ltd in several months I had with awful QC, I wanted to try and get something sorted rather than keep ordering and hoping for the best.

Places didnt have much in stock at the time so wasnt as easy as a road trip to check some out in the flesh.

Raised it with Esp, they said as they are based in the states they can’t help. Even though it is their product and the guitars pass through their US dizzy centre first of all. 

They pointed me to the Uk distributor, Sound Services.  

SS were initially really helpful and confirmed it wasnt good, but said they had several in stock and would make sure one is checked for me by themselves before being sent on to a supplier for me to buy. 

The manager there delegated it to someone to then handle. 

They wouldnt/couldnt sell direct, which was a shame as I would have driven there and picked it up myself. 

So I said ok, thats great though, lets do it. 
    They said ok we will speak to GG to organise it and them/us will be in touch. 

A week goes by, nothing. 
    Chased SS, they said they hadnt heard back from GG but will chase. 

That was months ago, never did hear from either company since. So I let it go. 

Looking at replacements, I saw the Balaguer Hyperion in stock at GG. Spoke to them on live chat, said hey had a few issues with QC etc, would love to see a couple more detailed pics of one of the Hyperions ‘in the flesh’ before putting the cash down. 

GG said no, cant do that, stocks at the warehouse and the guitars will be as pictured on the website. 

The website has 2 low res manufacturer stock photos. 

Said forget it then as I couldnt be arsed ordering another guitar blind at the time. 

One time with Andertons I took a Boss Chorus pedal back within 7 days as it was wank. Was microphonic with gain and just wasnt up for it, so I wanted to exchange for an Angel wing. 

I explained I thought it was a bit faulty etc. Maybe it wasnt, I dunno. 

Bloke in the store said no. I said eh? No exchange? He said no, because I tested it and its fine, and people use us as a pedal exchange to try stuff. 

I took their returns leaflet off the desk and pointed out that it says they will refund, refund quoted as its own thing aside from exchange, any unwanted item subject to it having been subject to reasonable use.

He couldnt argue with that so refunded me in full. Negating his previous argument for an exchange. 

I said this is silly because you are refunding me £80 when I only want £35 back and the Angel Wing. But no, he had to process a full refund then I had to buy an Angel Wing seconds later as its own transaction. 
    That carry on with sound services and GG sounds terrible, imagine them not contacting you. I remember the thread on here with all the high end LTD guitars with honorific QC  such a shame , the distributor and retailer were not much use , even ESP just passed you off to the distributor 
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4198
    edited October 2020
    Never had a problem with Andertons. They were happy to arrange the return of an amp I didn't like the sound of.

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3413
    I'm sorry to see a few people have not had good dealings and when I read about these experiences, it's like I live in a parallel universe.

I've never had anything but exemplary, and I don't mean average, ok or good, I mean exemplary service from shopping at Andertons and Guitar Guitar, Epsom for many years now (with the latter, since day one of when they opened). Returns/exchanges, deals, after service...all top notch and consistent, too.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10104
    Kebabkid said:
    I'm sorry to see a few people have not had good dealings and when I read about these experiences, it's like I live in a parallel universe.

I've never had anything but exemplary, and I don't mean average, ok or good, I mean exemplary service from shopping at Andertons and Guitar Guitar, Epsom for many years now (with the latter, since day one of when they opened). Returns/exchanges, deals, after service...all top notch and consistent, too.

I'm with you Kos, with regards to Andertons. They and G4M are my pedal go-to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Andertons have such a meteoric rise in the market that I'm not sure they have kept up with how busy and large their business has become and they have turned into a bit of a box shifter. 

Saying that I've never had a problem with them. The sales guy who was helping me select a mexi strat couldn't have been more helpful when I asked to try 3 different samples of the same model and this was on a low price guitar. They also leave you alone unless you ask/look like you need assistance too which is nice even when you may just be browsing.
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    edited October 2020
    I think there’s always going to be some bad and good stories from any retailer but it’s the really bad ones that set the bar.

My vote goes to Peach. I once wanted to Return something and they were super accommodating. In fact, they followed up a couple of days later to make sure I got their return process email etc (I eventually decided not to return).

I have had some bad experiences with other retailers  returning things , with tone changing once you decided to ryeturn. 

I am also conscious that salesmen are young people in low wages trying to make a living in a busy environment with all sorts of weird clients.
  • Probably average retailer with above-average online presence. Had disappointing experience in store - no-one bothered to speak to me (even a "hello, we'll be with you soon"), despite me wanting to buy a ES335 in person and trying to get attention for 15 minutes. 

Avoid anything with Chapman name on it.

Negative points for not letting you filter their website by whether item is in stock, or not.

To be fair to them though, basic online delivery on smaller items like pickups has been absolutely fine.

TL:DR; not the best, not the worst
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Here we go again. I love these threads.