Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Not using Anderton's again

What's Hot

Comments

• thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Hattigol said:
    darius said:
    Chappers, is that you? ;)
    No, but i did get a selfie with Rabea, Chappers and Lee in store once. It really made their day.
    I bet it did. Did they get you to sing that Britney Spears song you did on Pop Idol?
    Aw man I was going to ask if he was the "hit me baby one more... tiiiiiiiiime" Darius - you beat me! lol
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10104
    Interesting thread...

I think a Dealer really shows its colours when it comes to a problem or returns. Best for me has been Doug at Coda, who is simply superb in every way.

Distance selling regs has made returns much easier. The stores who excel at this, amd make the process hassle free and easy, are as follows;

Andertons

Gear4Music *

Thomann

Juno Records *

* will often post next day even up to 6pm, Juno 7pm !

Others that are really good;

GAK

GG

Avoid;

PMT

This above is based upon a LOT of (mainly pedal) purchases.

———————————————————————

Now buying guitars can be a whole lot different.

I have actually found one of the big boys, who are often quoted for good service, very poor when it comes to guitar returns. As such, I tend to avoid them....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 413
    A few months ago I was after a specific amp so had been watching eBay etc but seemed to just miss out on them so decided to bite the bullet and bye new from a dealer.

Contracted a dealer who confirmed they has one in stock of the spec I wanted so agreed a price.

After payment I then had major issues getting it shipped. They seemed to constantly tell me me the courier had failed to collect it. After a week of chasing it finally ships and arrives a day or so later. I unpack it and first thing I notice is it's not quite the spec they were advertising or we agreed. Then on closer inspection I think it looks very similar to a used on I,d missed on ebay. I go back and check the completed eBay listing and sure enough it's the same amp as the serial number is clearly visible in the listing.

Go back to to the dealer who claims a mix up on their part and we eventually agree I pay less that the eBay price.

When I do back and look at the other listings on eBay from the same account, which was a private account rather than a dealer/business account, they were listing loads of other gear which was also listed on the same dealers website as new along with loads of used baby clothes!

I got an amp at a good price but I won't buy from them again.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4081
    I'm not entirely sure why but "a couple of guitars/amps plus numerous items of clothing" is always an Ebay red flag for me.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnr said:
    I'm not entirely sure why but "a couple of guitars/amps plus numerous items of clothing" is always an Ebay red flag for me.  
    I use my wife's account.  She sells on clothes our son's outgrown plus anything she can turn a profit on that she sees in charity shops - bit of a hobby for her I think.

Meanwhile I'm selling gaming PCs and camera equipment as I upgrade - and most of my guitar gear after I gave up for a while.

So not such an odd combination unless you've been stalking my wife's eBay account!
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    Interesting thread...

I think a Dealer really shows its colours when it comes to a problem or returns. Best for me has been Doug at Coda, who is simply superb in every way.

Distance selling regs has made returns much easier. The stores who excel at this, amd make the process hassle free and easy, are as follows;

Andertons

Gear4Music *

Thomann

Juno Records *

* will often post next day even up to 6pm, Juno 7pm !

Others that are really good;

GAK

GG

Avoid;

PMT

This above is based upon a LOT of (mainly pedal) purchases.

———————————————————————

Now buying guitars can be a whole lot different.

I have actually found one of the big boys, who are often quoted for good service, very poor when it comes to guitar returns. As such, I tend to avoid them....

I'd avoid PMT in the shop as well.  I've been lied to by their staff.
  • Islandape said:
    prlgmnr said:
    I use my wife's account.  She sells on clothes our son's outgrown plus anything she can turn a profit on that she sees in charity shops - bit of a hobby for her I think.

Meanwhile I'm selling gaming PCs and camera equipment as I upgrade - and most of my guitar gear after I gave up for a while.

So not such an odd combination unless you've been stalking my wife's eBay account!
    I tend to list a load of stuff whenever there's a £1 listing offer, so it tends to be clothes, sunglasses, camera gear & tech, and guitar stuff. Having said that, I sort of agree with @prlgmnr, which I guess makes me a big ol' hypocrite
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• NickNick Frets: 98
    edited November 2020
    It's a shame, the website is doing an ever increasing amount of business when compared to the shop, but Andertons just does not have the capacity to expand their after-sales operation in their current premises. They have simply run out of office space and can only fit a maximum of around 10 or so people on the phones. During my tenure, those staff were at absolute capacity from 9am to 6pm, all day. The phones did not stop ringing, and the emails did not stop coming in. During the holiday periods, it was hell on earth. Even an honest phone call from a YouTube fan, enquiring as to whether Chappers was in the shop, was enough to break a man on most days.

Add to that the reliance on part-timers, and the fact that many full-timers were shared between shop floor and telephones based on the whim of one of the partners, what you ended up with was a bit of a lottery on whether your after-sales enquiry was going to be handled by the same person all of the way to its conclusion (or indeed, with complete care and competency).

What I will say however is that the majority of the staff there were good people and hard workers, but as it is with the retail industry, the best tend to move on if they cannot move up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    Nick said:
    It's a shame, the website is doing an ever increasing amount of business when compared to the shop, but Andertons just does not have the capacity to expand their after-sales operation in their current premises. They have simply run out of office space and can only fit a maximum of around 10 or so people on the phones. During my tenure, those staff were at absolute capacity from 9am to 6pm, all day. The phones did not stop ringing, and the emails did not stop coming in. During the holiday periods, it was hell on earth. Even an honest phone call from a YouTube fan, enquiring as to whether Chappers was in the shop, was enough to break a man on most days.

Add to that the reliance on part-timers, and the fact that many full-timers were shared between shop floor and telephones based on the whim of one of the partners, and what you end up with is a bit of a lottery on whether your after-sales enquiry is going to be handled by the same person all of the way to its conclusion (or indeed, with complete care and competency).

What I will say however is that the majority of the staff there were good people and hard workers, but as it is with the retail industry, the best tend to move on if they cannot move up.
    The amount of empty office space in and around Guildford is sky-high. I'm sure they could get a deal on a floor in a drab office block and install a small call centre team. Could probably handle most of the enquiries without having to even punch the call through to the shop floor. After all, the warehouse is off-site too and not particularly close to the shop, so what's another premises in the grand scheme of things?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NickNick Frets: 98
    Whitecat said:
    Nick said:

Add to that the reliance on part-timers, and the fact that many full-timers were shared between shop floor and telephones based on the whim of one of the partners, and what you end up with is a bit of a lottery on whether your after-sales enquiry is going to be handled by the same person all of the way to its conclusion (or indeed, with complete care and competency).

The amount of empty office space in and around Guildford is sky-high. I'm sure they could get a deal on a floor in a drab office block and install a small call centre team. Could probably handle most of the enquiries without having to even punch the call through to the shop floor. After all, the warehouse is off-site too and not particularly close to the shop, so what's another premises in the grand scheme of things?
    I'm sure they flirted with that idea. I imagine they didn't go with it at the time, as the whole operation was run very much with one of the partners in complete micro-management control - his desk was quite literally in there with the telephone team, with the rest of the admin team next door. Not sure if that is still the case, but I would be surprised if anything had changed.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darius said:
    Chappers, is that you? ;)
    No, but i did get a selfie with Rabea, Chappers and Lee in store once. It really made their day.
    Was it the sort of selfie that ends up on OnlyFans?
  • Never had an issue with Andertons myself. 
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Never had an issue with Andertons myself. 
    Is this the Captain of the ship?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    I just bought a mic from Andertons at 13:30 hours. 

Can you believe that not only have they not yet delivered it, but they also made me pay money for it.. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    skunkwerx said:

Can you believe that not only have they not yet delivered it, but they also made me pay money for it.. 
    It arrived... its being replaced. Hopefully tomorrow. 

This is what karma I get for chatting preemptive sarcastic shite. 
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerx said:
    skunkwerx said:

hahaahahha
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    skunkwerx said:
    skunkwerx said:

haha what mic?
    thegummy said:
    skunkwerx said:
    skunkwerx said:

haha what mic?
    Lol twas a Rode video mic pro.. 

It might work fine but the sealing stickers on the box have previously been torn off as the hologram shows void lol.. 

I just want a new one..
  • roberty said:
    Cols said:
    That’s a shame.  Was it a hefty discount?
    The case was discounted by £35. In the end they wanted to reduce the discount by £15 to £20. This was after lots of miscommunication and wasted time on the phone. It's petty but I would just rather not deal with them at this point. The original order was for more than £1.5k
    On today's episode of "Man-Babies Whinging About £5 On The Internet" 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1682
    roberty said:
    Cols said:
    That’s a shame.  Was it a hefty discount?
    The case was discounted by £35. In the end they wanted to reduce the discount by £15 to £20. This was after lots of miscommunication and wasted time on the phone. It's petty but I would just rather not deal with them at this point. The original order was for more than £1.5k
    On today's episode of "Man-Babies Whinging About £5 On The Internet" 
    On today’s episode of “Spot the newly created account that won’t be about for long”
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom