Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The best feel good TV series you’ve seen?

What's Hot

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7109
    Boys From the Blackstuff
    Not sure if many people are aware of the original play for today: The Black Stuff; it has all same the characters, and it's basically how they all end up on the dole; it's also how Yosser has his breakdown.

It's currently on iPlayer.

wouldn't say it's feelgood though

Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnS37JohnS37 Frets: 345
    Perhaps not really qualified for this thread, but two old TV series I have been watching on YouTube that really are ‘feelgood’ and make me laugh are ‘Alas Smith and Jones’ and ‘Get Smart’, you can watch them via YouTube on your smart TV if it helps!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    We've been watching Who's Line Is It anyway, but mainly ones with Ryan Styles, Colin Mockery and Greg Proops. We started watching one with Tony slattery and it was just not funny
  • Parks and Recreation has to be up there with the best from the last decade. 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1960
    zepp76 said:
    fob said:
    I might be pushing the brief here but remembering back to Lockdown (the original and best lockdown) I had cause to prove that there really was a kids TV show that involved young boys going over obstacle courses on motorbikes. Went onto YT to dig up a copy and it was surprisingly life-affirming. Hosted by Peter Purves and the great Jack Stites.

I give you Junior Kickstart:

I remember that! I used to love watching Kickstart when I was a kid. 
    Crikey, yes! How on Earth could I have forgotten such an important part of my youth! Absolutely brilliant, I do remember an episode where a lad has an off into some kind of pit and the St Johns ambulance guy continually falling arse over tit trying to get to him!
    My favourite Kickstart episode...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    exocet said:
    zepp76 said:
    fob said:
    I might be pushing the brief here but remembering back to Lockdown (the original and best lockdown) I had cause to prove that there really was a kids TV show that involved young boys going over obstacle courses on motorbikes. Went onto YT to dig up a copy and it was surprisingly life-affirming. Hosted by Peter Purves and the great Jack Stites.

Crikey, yes! How on Earth could I have forgotten such an important part of my youth! Absolutely brilliant, I do remember an episode where a lad has an off into some kind of pit and the St Johns ambulance guy continually falling arse over tit trying to get to him!

Brilliant! That’s made my day seeing that. Thanks.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Jetfire said:
    We've been watching Who's Line Is It anyway, but mainly ones with Ryan Styles, Colin Mockery and Greg Proops. We started watching one with Tony slattery and it was just not funny
    Tony Slattery was a bit hit and miss ISTR, the other 3 plus Joise Lawrence were superb.

Feel Good or Chortlefests ?

Feel Goods:

Repair Shop
    24hrs in A&E
    Nadia docus
    Nigella stuff - quite amusing sometimes

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15491
    Jetfire said:
    Upload is similar to The Good Place but less schmoltz.. rather looking forward to season 2 
    just watching that now. Digital consciousness is a bit of a staple of sci fi, but most of the ones I've read have been a bit utopian, so I like the capitalism angle to it, and as an MMO gamer I think the whole micro transaction thing is fun. Looks like a keeper to me.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• VimFuego said:
    Jetfire said:
    Upload is similar to The Good Place but less schmoltz.. rather looking forward to season 2 
    just watching that now. Digital consciousness is a bit of a staple of sci fi, but most of the ones I've read have been a bit utopian, so I like the capitalism angle to it, and as an MMO gamer I think the whole micro transaction thing is fun. Looks like a keeper to me.
    Yep, it's actually surprisingly good - it was supposed to just be a vehicle for Robbie Amell after bit-parts in his cousin's more famous series, and I was pleasantly surprised by how thoughtful it seemed to be. Certainly a hell of a lot more than all the CW stuff he's been in up to this point.
    <space for hire>
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1939
    Well it's not a series but for a feel good film with musical content I think "Brassed Off" is the ultimately feel good factor film. It deals with some serious issues of hardship through the threat of pit closures, the miner's strikes, family issues, personal romance and conflicts of interests, breakable but ultimately unbreakable friendships and comedy. It has it all. But when it comes down to it (as Pete Poselthwaite's character succinctly puts it), It's people that matter. His speech at the end sums up that life throws some shitty curved balls but at the end of the day we all need each other. Probably my favourite film and if you haven't seen it then you should. I don't often get that emotional watching films but you just want to punch the air at the end of that film. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    rewatched early vicar of dibs recently, some great character actors in that
  • M*A*S*H

Every episode is a winner.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1939
    tony99 said:
    Yep. That was also a great comedy series. It wasn't banal and it wasn't crude and still managed to be hugely funny. Hard to hit that middle ground but it did it. It was a real shame about Emma Chambers who played Alice Tinker. She was a superb foil to Dawn French. Played the part great. She was the Trigger to Del Boy. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• zepp76 said:
    exocet said:
    zepp76 said:
    fob said:

Brilliant! That’s made my day seeing that. Thanks.
    If my brother and I don’t shout ‘dougie lampkin’ at least once when we are out cycling, it’s a rubbish ride. Admittedly, I could say the same about shouting Joey Deakin
    Devil#20 said:
    tony99 said:
    Yep. That was also a great comedy series. It wasn't banal and it wasn't crude and still managed to be hugely funny. Hard to hit that middle ground but it did it. It was a real shame about Emma Chambers who played Alice Tinker. She was a superb foil to Dawn French. Played the part great. She was the Trigger to Del Boy. 

quite mad that Trigger's in it too and really you forget it's him

shame about both of them tbh, such talents
  • tony99 said:
    Boys From the Blackstuff
    Not sure if many people are aware of the original play for today: The Black Stuff; it has all same the characters, and it's basically how they all end up on the dole; it's also how Yosser has his breakdown.

I have seen that @tony99 although I wasn't aware of it until about 6 years ago. I watched it on YouTube.

My post was only ironic though as it's quite grim, but does have some humorous qualities to it.

"I'm Desperate, Dan!"  =)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    tony99 said:
    Boys From the Blackstuff

I have seen that @tony99 although I wasn't aware of it until about 6 years ago. I watched it on YouTube.

My post was only ironic though as it's quite grim, but does have some humorous qualities to it.

"I'm Desperate, Dan!"  =)
    There's an interesting point in the first play where they go to pick up Yosser to go to the job, but he can't go as he has to mind the kids: "what do you want me to do, bring them with me?"

it seems to be a precursor (although probably not known at the time) to that in the following series, a mentally shattered Yosser does indeed take his kids with him everywhere he goes
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 943
    Two from me are 'The Middle' and 'Malcom in the Middle'-both good fun that the kids and grown-ups can enjoy.
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 943
    Got to add 'ManDown' with Greg Davies -not for kids but one of the maddest funniest comedy's ever and the late great Rick Mayall is great in the first series. I rarely re-watch stuff but this is my third go.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Well I’ve got a new one, the new Worzle Gummidge. 

Directed and acted by Mackenzie Crook, the locations, music, I don’t know what age group it’s supposed to be aimed at but he just “gets it”. It’s superb, I’ve just watched the first two episodes and it’s got that Detectorists vibe. Just brilliant.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.