The TV Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6477
    Finished Game of Thrones. Some things very good - especially the intrigue - but much stuff was too plodding. Final season has awful pacing and was also too dark (literally). FFS, it's CGI so there isn't even a lighting bill! 6/10

(with 1 point docked for Sky/NowTV's atrocious image quality)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16622

VimFuego said:
    just caught the 1st episode of Daryl Dixon, another walking dead spin off. It's OK I guess, will probably stick with it. 

I'm trying to decide if I save DD for a binge watch at some point although part of it is filmed at Mont St Michel so I'm keen to start on the ooh I've been there aspect. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

VimFuego said:
    just caught the 1st episode of Daryl Dixon, another walking dead spin off. It's OK I guess, will probably stick with it. 

I'm trying to decide if I save DD for a binge watch at some point although part of it is filmed at Mont St Michel so I'm keen to start on the ooh I've been there aspect. 
    Watched the first episode. 10/10 for the location scout. 2/10 for the script. 
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16297

VimFuego said:

yeah, it looked fantastic. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1405
    The Traitors US season 2 -BBC iPlayer

Watched on the recommendation of Richard Osman and Marina Hyde.  (The Rest is Entertainment, podcast).

We're one episode from the end. 
    What to say about The Traitors that hasn't already been said?  A great concept, a great game, with lots of ways to play. 

The US version is full of reality stars that you won't know and, unaccountably, the former speaker of the house of commons, John Bercow.

It's really entertaining.  There's some surprisingly high level gameplay tactics.  It becomes quite tribal and the over-riding issue with the game really rears it's head, that being the question : "if I know who the traitors are, why would I want to get rid of them?"

Everybody's gotta go. 

Way better than series 1 of the US version.  Alan Cumming adds a lot to it.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12705
    My wife has been watching the US version avidly, I’ve caught a couple of odd bits when she’s had it on. Alan Cumming is indeed very good…. I love the way he says “Dough Lahs” for $$$$$. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74041
    Lebarque said:
    Eric (Netflix)
    Best thing I've watched in ages. It's gripping and so well done. Benedict Cucumberpatch (and the rest of the cast) is excellent. Highly recommended.
    I've recently finished this too - I think it's the best thing Cumberbatch has ever done. All the other actors are excellent too, even in fairly minor roles - there's nothing trite or formulaic about it, and even though it deliberately introduces plenty of coincidental red herrings to keep you guessing it all seems quite believable. The writing and direction is top-notch too.

My only criticism still stands, it's meant to be set in 1985 but looks more like 1980 to me. (I'm guessing the director is considerably younger than I am ;).) But it's not a big problem, just forget the supposed date.

I've also just finished Alias Grace on Netflix - a Victorian mystery based on a book by Margaret Atwood, about a young doctor trying to discover the truth about a young woman found guilty of a notorious murder, but possibly innocent. I've read quite a lot of Atwood, although not this one. It's well enough done but a bit 'staged' in some ways - good acting but I didn't find it completely convincing. There's an amusing cameo from Atwood too - she's only on screen for a few seconds but is one of the best characters in it :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NeilNeil Frets: 3829
    Currently re watching the magnificent Toast of London.

Genuinely funny with some amazingly mad characters. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6445

VimFuego said:

All episodes are available.  Highlights for me
    1.highly corrosive zombies
    2.the introduction of the flail/Morgensten as Daryl's weapon of choice
    3.the Carol teaser for the next series
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Jalapeno said:

VimFuego said:

All episodes are available.  Highlights for me
    1.highly corrosive zombies
    2.the introduction of the flail/Morgensten as Daryl's weapon of choice
    3.the Carol teaser for the next series
    Just started on it too. I was convinced it was going to be a bit shit after The Ones Who Live was so awful, but this looks more promising so far. 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1405
    boogieman said:
    My wife has been watching the US version avidly, I’ve caught a couple of odd bits when she’s had it on. Alan Cumming is indeed very good…. I love the way he says “Dough Lahs” for $$$$$. 
    He truly is a national treasure at this point. 

Watched the last episode and it was brilliant.  Certainly although we have had secret couples in the UK series' it adds a dynamic to have people who have decades of history outside of the show supposedly facing off against one another.
  • CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3400
    edited August 3
    VimFuego said:

Also rewatching The Sopranos, dear god that was a great TV Show.

If you like zombie stuff - The Walking Dead, Night of the Living Dead and so forth, I strongly recommend ''Z Nation'', give it a few episodes as it does kind of have a really ''low low budget'' feel to the first few episodes, but once the story starts - or at least one of the story arcs, it becomes bloody brilliant.

One that we've just finished watching is ''Continuum'', it's a sci-fi TV series, if you liked the time traveling series Travelers, Continuum is even better. same general principal a time traveler in-beds themselves with the time they have traveled to law enforcement, but with far far more interesting ideas, theories, ideas, morality with regards to time travel.

And we've just bought ''Haven'' it's a TV series based off of the Stephen King story ''The Colorado Kidd'', we've only just started this, kind of a X-Files without little green men vibe, and ''darker'' than ''Once Upon A Time'', we're only a few episodes in, but we're really enjoying it, it is extremely ''moreish'' as in, we'll just watch one more episode before bed.
    Finished Daryl Dixon. Actually pretty good. Quite French, as in it looked like France and there was quite a lot of French with subtitles and not just pandering to an American audience.
    If you enjoyed The Walking Dead but gave up on it you might enjoy this. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7986
    Cam to this thread to recommend The Brothers Sun on Netflix - we have one episode left to go and it's just got better and better as it has gone on  - bit fighty, bit gangstery, bit funny. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6445
    TimmyO said:
    Cam to this thread to recommend The Brothers Sun on Netflix - we have one episode left to go and it's just got better and better as it has gone on  - bit fighty, bit gangstery, bit funny. 
    Plus comedy mum Michelle Yeoh IIRC

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Finished Daryl Dixon. Actually pretty good. Quite French, as in it looked like France and there was quite a lot of French with subtitles and not just pandering to an American audience.
    I’m about 4 episodes in and just realised that the lead female was in The Tunnel. Apparently she was in one of the Harry Potter films too. I agree, it’s pretty good and adds a different twist to what was becoming a very hackneyed formula. 
    boogieman said:
    I’m about 4 episodes in and just realised that the lead female was in The Tunnel. Apparently she was in one of the Harry Potter films too. I agree, it’s pretty good and adds a different twist to what was becoming a very hackneyed formula. 

I really liked The Tunnel and she was a French schoolgirl in one of the Potter films. Other stuff too I'm sure. 
    Second season gets launched in the USA later this year and a third already agreed. 
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6477
    Finished Killing Eve at last (iPlayer). Seasons 3 and 4 seem to go for style over plot, and halfway through Season 4 the director must have thought "OMIGOD, we're not being commissioned for Season 5, so we've got a lot of characters to sort out, so there's no time for plot".

I watched the first two seasons years ago, and they were great. The last two seasons were fun, in a Lesbian Nikita way, but not as interesting.

(Also - extreme narrow depth of field filming was super annoying.)

5/10
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2132
    As I mentioned in a different thread today I saw The Princess Diaries as I'm on an Anne Hathaway binge.
    Not quite Colossal and now I want to buy a pink unicorn. And go to prom.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2989
    Not sure why I missed this initially but have been working my way through seasons 1-3 of For All Mankind on Apple.  It's brilliant TV - well shot, great science fiction, tense and gripping storylines - I'm loving it.   Will start Season 4 later and will be caught up in a couple of weeks ready for Season 5 next year.