GAK vs. Andertons

What's Hot

Comments

• TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Fifty9 said:
    GAK sold me a partscaster pretending to be a Robert cray strat. That’s enough for me to not return..
    Wow. Not sure i’d necessarily have picked up on that unless it was very obvious.

To be fair to both retailers in the OP, it sounds like the main comparison here is DPD delivery time, which is out of the retailers hands assuming they handed goods over to the courier on time (which they clearly did).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23022
    TINMAN82 said:
    To be fair to both retailers in the OP, it sounds like the main comparison here is DPD delivery time, which is out of the retailers hands assuming they handed goods over to the courier on time (which they clearly did).
    Absolutely.  The thread is really just me mucking about.

I even thought they might turn up in the same DPD van, but I guess they started in different places so the routes were completely different.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2329
    Who would pay to subscribe to a shop doing blues videos / adverts. No. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3888
    flyingv said:
    flyingv said:
    Calls himself the Captain??? Say no more.
    Not that it matters and not want to start another Chapman hating thread but I think...I THINK it was Chapman who called Lee the Captain when Andertons videos was hosted there, Rob introduce the video and he called himself the monkey lord or something and gave Lee the nickname the Captain.
    Sounds about right 
    That irritates me too. Fair enough it was an 'in' joke, but to carry it on as Lee's persona is the equivalent of referring to oneself in the third person. Not funny and not cool.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    ennspek said:
    I think doubting Lee Anderton's moral compass and calling him greedy is harsh seeing as he just raised over £100,000 for Teenage Cancer Trust.
    Jimmy Saville is estimated to have raised over £40 million for charity. What is your point? Was he a man of sound morals?

More so than ever public donations are more of a PR exercise.
    The man runs a business employing 10's of people, successfully, in the UK and payed his taxes.
    He runs the business in what I assume is a lawful and correct manner and makes money. What a deviant, lock him up.

I just thought the moral compass comment was in bad taste. That was before you demonstrated to me what bad taste really is by using that, patently utterly ridiculous, comparison.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 25reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24843
    I’ve ordered something from both in the last few months and can’t fault my experience with either.

I had to do a return with GAK and they were great.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2201
    edited April 2021
    Andersons used to be local to me and I can't fault them. Since I moved I ordered an amp from them and delivery was fine. I've spent thousands there over the years.

I've not ordered from GAK yet, but I've got my eye on a guitar there, so maybe I will soon.

It's not a competition.
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1885
    I like this Andersons place better than Andertons based on their reviews on here.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6713
    edited April 2021
    GAK are local to me so I can call in the morning and walk to the shop to pick up in the afternoon if they need to transfer from the warehouse. Plus they'll price match.

Most of the staff are great, friendly, helpful. There have been a couple of abrasives over the 2 decades I've been going there but they've moved on pretty quickly. And on the occasions when I haven't been able to go there, their shipping service has been exemplary. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11892
    Lebarque said:
    flyingv said:
    flyingv said:
    Calls himself the Captain??? Say no more.
    Not that it matters and not want to start another Chapman hating thread but I think...I THINK it was Chapman who called Lee the Captain when Andertons videos was hosted there, Rob introduce the video and he called himself the monkey lord or something and gave Lee the nickname the Captain.
    Sounds about right 
    That irritates me too. Fair enough it was an 'in' joke, but to carry it on as Lee's persona is the equivalent of referring to oneself in the third person. Not funny and not cool.
    One can say it is in a way a perona on his channel, it's only a nickname.  Honestly, I don't really care or see how it matters to anyone.  It's just a name he now adopted on Andertons.  In a sense he is the captain of his own company. Afterall, he does own it.  He is not suggesting he is in the army or on a literal boat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    edited April 2021
    GAK used to have a bad rep for advertising stuff not in stock and taking an eternity to fulfil, those days seem long gone.  I treat them both like Thomann these days, especially now that it isn't so easy buying from EU.

When I went to buy a Les Paul Godtop from Andertons, they went out to the warehouse (which isn't at the shop) and brought me 6 to choose between - I always remember that going the extra mile , and lean towards Andertons first.  I don't care for the videos tbh, but each to their own.  I DO however like Danish Pete videos.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Never had a problem with either Andertons or GAK. My default has always been Andertons though. I don’t buy much from either though tbh. I buy mainly from here :) 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11806
    One can say it is in a way a perona on his channel, it's only a nickname.  Honestly, I don't really care or see how it matters to anyone.  It's just a name he now adopted on Andertons.  In a sense he is the captain of his own company. Afterall, he does own it.  He is not suggesting he is in the army or on a literal boat.

Plus in the army a Captain is still a junior officer rank, in the Navy it's pretty senior, the equivalent of Lt. Colonel in the army.

Lee hasn't clarified which kind of Captain he thinks he is, and without his uniform and a cap on, he shouldn't be saluting all the time.

Plus you have to EARN those ranks dammit!

I'll get me coat ;)

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12414

Plus in the army a Captain is still a junior officer rank, in the Navy it's pretty senior, the equivalent of Lt. Colonel in the army.

Lee hasn't clarified which kind of Captain he thinks he is, and without his uniform and a cap on, he shouldn't be saluting all the time.

I'll get me coat ;)

He could be a merchant navy captain or US police Ed. 
  • breezytelebreezytele Frets: 273
    My niece had a Blackstar core ID beam amp pack up, just after warranty had expired.
    Andertons replaced with a new one, free of charge
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    ennspek said:
    ennspek said:
    I think doubting Lee Anderton's moral compass and calling him greedy is harsh seeing as he just raised over £100,000 for Teenage Cancer Trust.
    Jimmy Saville is estimated to have raised over £40 million for charity. What is your point? Was he a man of sound morals?

More so than ever public donations are more of a PR exercise.
    The man runs a business employing 10's of people, successfully, in the UK and payed his taxes.
    He runs the business in what I assume is a lawful and correct manner and makes money. What a deviant, lock him up.

I just thought the moral compass comment was in bad taste. That was before you demonstrated to me what bad taste really is by using that, patently utterly ridiculous, comparison.
    I will apologise to the OP for derailing the thread in advance. 

I was trying to convey that generous acts for charity aren't always made by good men. History is literally littered with 100s if not 1000s of cases of these actions. You can even look at the people that operate within these charities and see how good their moral compasses are (say hello Oxfam).

You made a point that my opinion was harsh because Lee has raised money for a charity. Hence my follow up with Jimmy Saville. I wasn't implying he was as bad as Jimmy, just giving you an example that charity work/money does not vindicate shitty behaviour. Me, or google can provide you with lots more examples of people with bad morals giving money/performing charitable acts for charity. 

When you look into his fundraising, he is getting common folk to pledge money to a just giving page or via a raffle. The money is not from his own pocket.
    Yes kudos for him for using his public profile for increasing awareness that is a good deed.
    However did you know that charitable donations are tax deductible for a limited company? Realistically the action is of no cost to the business but it does generate more PR (quite arguably a good incentive right?).  Hence my second comment

Not sure what relevance to his tax payments are to the conversation or your retort about locking him up. These are completely irrelevant to my response. You have made an assumption or taken something out of context.

Happy to pick it up on PM if you feel the need to go back and fourth any more and save this thread from going off on a bigger tangent. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12414
    munckee said:

I'll get me coat ;)

He could be a merchant navy captain or US police Ed. 
    Or Jordan Henderson. 

For me Lee’s great strength was always not being Rob in the same way Mick is very successful at not being Dan on that pedal show. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jhumberjhumber Frets: 238
    Always received good service from Andertons. When my Kemper power supply fried, I called them up as it was still (just) in warranty. They took care of all the shipping to/from Germany and comms with Kemper. Within 2 weeks they called me to say it was back at the shop. Really impressed, they could easily have pointed me directly at Kemper and not stepped in to help. For every other purchase it’s always been hassle-free, quick delivery, and as-described.
  • So far I've not used Andertons, they don't seem to crop up much in internet searches when I'm looking for guitar accessories, amp or pedalboard stuff - mainly seems to be Gear4Music and Richtone, sometimes GAK.
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7295
    Ive had the shows up as in stock then isnt actually there thing from andertons a few times, never from gak. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
This discussion has been closed.