What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    The Boxtrolls

Excellent if you like this sort of animation. Visually brilliant, the usual type of good eventually wins over evil storyline (with a few more subtleties than usual), dark and grotesque - which my kids love - and some great Python-esque satirical touches which adults should like too.

8/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    Defiance. James Bond, Billy Elliot and Wolverine's brother take on the nazis.

this. Was quite good, not exactly a light hearted romp though.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Defiance wasn't bad but a little bit clichéd.. why does every director have to portray the Nazis as the bad guys?  It's just gets really obvious in the end.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    well, like most Hollywood films, it couldn't decide what it wanted to be; action adventure, docudrama on the plight of the jews in Belarus, period rom com, nature ramble in the woods. Consequently in failed on a number of levels.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I think one of them got arrested for rape or something.
    My V key is broken
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Castaway On The Moon - 9/10

Wonderful, funny, sweet, highly recommended.
    All practice and no theory
  • Just watched "Sexy Beast" recorded from the telly last week.

Seen it before but forgot how good it is. Ray Winstone is good but Ben Kingsley is outstanding.

Some of his sweary rants are unbelievable, watch it if you haven't already.

NOT one to watch with kids. Language / Violence / Crime etc etc but brilliant. 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    edited September 2014
    kevt141 said:

Just watched "Sexy Beast" recorded from the telly last week.

Seen it before but forgot how good it is. Ray Winstone is good but Ben Kingsley is outstanding.

I watched it again too. I still think Ian McShane beats even Kingsley for sheer evil - he's more subtle, but actually more frightening. Winstone's visible fear when they're in the car together at the end is some of the best acting he's done too. A very good film indeed.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Watched watchmen last night. How totally bizzar and long. Also the voices were far to low in the mix
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10
    Really very good. A simple combination of Tom Cruise getting killed loads of times and Emily Blunt. What's not to love?

I liked that one too....

looked like a combination of films to me...

didn't bother me though cos a lot of stuff got blown up a lot of times... so I was all entertained and stuff..

play every note as if it were your first
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    HAL9000 said:
    Saw 'Lucy' this afternoon. I didn't hold out a lot of hope for it and the plot is ridiculous. But... very enjoyable, visually stunning, and I was entertained, (and it starred the lovely Scarlett Johansson). 8/10.

I'm hoping to go see this one at the weekend...

looks to me like Matrix but with an extra sprinkling of tottie..

I reckon that'll make for a good combination

play every note as if it were your first
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Snowpiercer - 5/10

My mate rang me all excited cos he'd imported this and it had finally arrived - never had a UK release and none planned afaik, a modern classic sci-fi based on a French dystopian comic book made in Korea blah blah...

Meh.
    All practice and no theory
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    kevt141 said:

Just watched "Sexy Beast" recorded from the telly last week.

Some of his sweary rants are unbelievable, watch it if you haven't already.

NOT one to watch with kids. Language / Violence / Crime etc etc but brilliant. 

Sexy Beast is an awesome film and yeah Ben Kingsley is immense in it. One of my faves

On a 10 hour flight back from the US I watched :

Noah : We all know the story, it's kinda ok but wouldn't recommend it

3 days to kill : Kevin Costner plays more or less the same roll Liam Neeson did in Taken but he's dying of a terminal illness and needs a special pill that a horny CIA agent will only give him if he kills the right people for her ...... pretty bad film

Transcendence : An Ai expert working on recreating brains in software gets shot and before he dies his wife and college upload his brain waves into a main frame super computer. That enables him to live on with software and the next thing you know he's on the net and taking over the world. Turned that one off, watching the clouds through the plane window was more interesting !

Oculus : A naughty mirror makes people do bad things in a terrible film 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • i am planning on watching this today   

have been looking forward to this film since it came out (and i saw a review of it with mark commode ;-)

looks right up my alley 
    :D
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Million Dollar Arm - Jon Hamm is great in this. "Inspirational" Indian rags to American riches sports film. Formulaic, but feel good. 8/10
    My V key is broken
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Lone Survivor - on bluray sound turned up ! Great movie just put it on your watch list if you like a good war movie.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140

Elysium. Sci-Fi with an eco-message. I dislike eco-messages in films. It was OK, but that's about it.

Looper. More time-travel sci-fi. Confusing to an old fart like moi. Bruce Willis must have been short of a few bob.

• The Equalizer - predictable, but fairly enjoyable, 7.5/10.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    edited October 2014
    capo4th;370314" said:
    Lone Survivor - on bluray sound turned up ! Great movie just put it on your watch list if you like a good war movie.
    +1 Excellent film.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8499
    Lucy:

Woman ingests drugs accidentally.  Turns into some sort of superhero. Then, she antagonises bad guys. touches a monkey, and turns into a sparkly usb stick.

The end.

Marlin