Have Line6 lost the plot?

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Lev said:
    Fretwired said:
    Lev said:
    I did some searching around for multi FX options today and started looking at what Line6 have on offer. I just realized that the POD HD300 and HD400 have been discontinued and only the HD500X is available. 
    I never saw the point of the HD300 or HD400. If you just want effects then get an M13.
    I guess they gave an entry into the HD amp and FX modelling at a lower price point. I had an M13 and although a great unit I found it difficult to get a satisfactory tone running into any amp modelling gear for home recording. Sounded great with an amp in a live situation though but not a low cost unit either. 

My main point is that the unit that has replaced them at that price point has older modelling technology, is tied to an IOS device and doesn't allow you to record over USB. I don't get why a company would launch a product that can only be used with a thrid party device that doesn't even have the largest market share. Talk about limiting potential sales.
    The processors that Line 6 used were discontinued so they decided to drop the HD300 and HD400 and the bean and upgrade the 500 with better foot switches and improved functionality [you can run more effects before you get a DSP error]. I guess the 300 and 400 would have become more expensive.

The AmpliFi is a totally different concept.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16472
    Drew_fx said:
    I just don't see the Amplifire selling. I'm highly skeptical of the words fed to Eric by the nice GuitarGuitar man. I've not seen a single person using one of these, and our old singer bought one and sent it back a day later saying it was a piece of shit. He bought a Cube instead as far as I recall.

well, he didn't say they weren't bringing them back! I don't like the Spiders but they sold a lot, I guess people buying on features rather than what it sounds like.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17948
    tFB Trader
    I'm not sure why people would be buying them when they are more expensive than the Blackstar and Yamaha equivalents.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16472
    Guitar Hero? My kids perceive Line 6 as a big name in guitar gear because they are one of the brands plastered all over that. I suspect GH is a bit yesterday now but they certainly have a profile through that, they have good distribution ( better than Yamaha have had in the UK) and they are good at getting in the guitar mags ( although also true of the others).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Guitar hero is a bit yesterday? So is actually being able to play cool again yet?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12065
    Guitar hero is a bit yesterday? So is actually being able to play cool again yet?
    They've moved onto Rocksmith now don't you know :p
    I'm not sure why people would be buying them when they are more expensive than the Blackstar and Yamaha equivalents.
    This .. I guess hipsters in their New York loft conversions think they look cool playing them .. :-)

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    edited August 2014
    ICBM said:
    I would suspect Yamaha are running down the old product line on purpose.
    Agree, and at a Namm soon they will be back

It's not like Yamaha has a competing product line - that they bought Line6 just to kill it off.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    The thing is, Yamaha are slow to react to the ever changing world of music tech. I've seen it in my industry, whilst I cannot go into details, have seen it first hand.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    Hence why they bought Line6  & Steinberg I'd say
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    I agree, but the danger is more bureaucracy and red tape blocking innovation. And then it seems Line 6 are blind to customer demand. I think we can all agree that the market is screaming for an updated M13, with better algorithms, more modern sounds, more parameters, and a general overhaul of the unit. But alas... we got Amplifire.
    Drew_fx said:
    I agree, but the danger is more bureaucracy and red tape blocking innovation. And then it seems Line 6 are blind to customer demand. I think we can all agree that the market is screaming for an updated M13, with better algorithms, more modern sounds, more parameters, and a general overhaul of the unit. But alas... we got Amplifire.
    An updated M13 costs money Line 6 didn't have. The AmpliFi is cheap as it uses readily available components and modelling tech. I used to know a senior guy at Line 6 and they've been close to going bust hence the plethora of new products based on existing tech to squeeze more cash out of their existing products.

Fretwired said:
    Drew_fx said:
    An updated M13 costs money Line 6 didn't have. The AmpliFi is cheap as it uses readily available components and modelling tech. I used to know a senior guy at Line 6 and they've been close to going bust hence the plethora of new products based on existing tech to squeeze more cash out of their existing products.
    I'm guessing this was pre-Yamaha buy out?
    Drew_fx said:
    Fretwired said:
    Drew_fx said:
    I'm guessing this was pre-Yamaha buy out?
    Yep. I suspect they'll be a raft of new high quality product releases. That's what's happened at Steinberg with regular releases to all the major products plus the addition of Yamaha's pro audio plugins and studio technology into Steinberg's excellent recording interfaces. I suspect that the recording interfaces will be an early win as Line 6 can use Yamaha's existing pro studio technology.

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Anyone remember when Gibson bought Trace Elliot?

This could go either way
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24883
    jeztone2;316360" said:

This could go either way
    And Fender bought Hamer and Ovation....
  • The bidding war between Fender and Gibson for the acquisition of Phillips Cleartone conversions, rumbles on.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Things like the Dl4, M13, POD are allll great.

It's like a different company to some of the stuff they produce
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73235
    jeztone2 said:

This could go either way
    Yes - although Trace were owned by Kaman and not independent at the time. Gibson didn't do enough to fix the problems at Trace though, and it still went bust eventually. Peavey own the brand now, and the amps are completely different, although they look superficially similar from the outside.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6240
    tFB Trader
    I really don't understand the amplifier hate. I have the amplifi 75 as my front room amp. It sounds great, has all the modelling I could need from an amp and it sounds great as a Bluetooth speaker too. I have valve amps too and they do sound better but they cost a lot more (aren't acceptable in the front room either) and don't have all the options of the amplifi.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com