Sad dad bands

What's Hot
123457»

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11780
    I'd add The Spin Doctors to that list of (slightly) alt US bands of the early 90s.  I loved 'em back in the day and still give them an occasional listen.  Eric Schenkman is a fantastic guitarist.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22920
    Offset said:
    I'd add The Spin Doctors to that list of (slightly) alt US bands of the early 90s.  I loved 'em back in the day and still give them an occasional listen.  Eric Schenkman is a fantastic guitarist.
    Yeah, they were good, I really liked them for a while, bought all the first few releases... then totally forgot about them.

What about Incubus?  I don't think they were on that list.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24329
    Snap said:
    Snap said:
    Some of you lot are weird. Guitarists and bassists who don't really know these bands, especially ones like REM, The Pixies and Pearl Jam. I think you are making it up. All three have released stock in the canon songs over the years that I would have thought would be on the roster for most of us fret spankers?

and I like Americana
    I actually like country 
    and western

yeehaw mothertruckers!
    What do you mean by "on the roster"?

While I agree "canon" songs exist (Imagine / Bo Rap etc etc) I don't think any of those bands get anywhere close. Chart dominance is not the only part (not that I recall any of them other than REM charting in the UK) but it needs to get into other forms of popular culture.

For example - Without 'Independence Day' I doubt I would be able to recognise REM's end of the world song.

In my youth, if it didn't get played on Tommy Vance's Friday Rock Show then I both didn't listen to it, and didn't care I hadn't.
    REM are a massive band and have done a couple of what I would say are more or less modern classic tracks that I would think most people who are into music would know. Losing My Religion, Everybody Hurts, End of The World.

Pearl Jam - a slightly huge first album, that again I would have thought most guitarists would at least be familiar with. 

Pixies - a seminal band really. Monkey's Gone to Heaven?

Not saying you have to like them, but just surprised people saying they don't know them. 

Tommy Vance's rock show! Yep, remember listening to that with my mum back in the day. 

The National are good - High Violet is a quality album, no filler on there. 
    Most “specific genre of rock” guitarists maybe.

At that time, if it didn’t involve Hetfield / Mustaine / Ian etc then I had no interest.

Pink Floyd are a massive band too. Bigger than any of the list. I reckon I could name maybe 5 tunes. Don’t like them either. 

I can’t even name 5 Rolling Stones songs. Same reason. Not a fan.

To me, Ride the Lightning was more important than all of the list, the Stones, the Beatles, etc put together together.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24329
    Iamnobody said:
    Even if all the posters who claim ignorance of these bands are that blinkered and haven’t read a magazine, watched a festival or TV programme (Jools etc) that’s featured these bands….

I bet most are aware of the Jeff Tweedy signature SG that was released in 2012, a lovely frost blue? colour with long lyre vibrato and a natural neck like Melody maker SG’s - well he’s in Wilco. 
    Nope. I’ve been playing for 35 years and I don’t recognise that guitar or the name of the person.

Theres no “claim” about it. That’s just weird. It’s the “I’ve heard of them so you must have done too” position.

Thats as silly as saying a Lewis Hamilton fan absolutely must know who Arie Luyendyk is because I know who he is. You haven’t? Why?you must have done! He’s a racing driver too!

Different genre can easily mean zero interest, therefore zero attention paid. Zero need to commit it to memory.

I wouldn’t go to a festival with those bands on the list, and they wouldn’t get to play with the bands I like. Zero chance of cross over. None of them are going to be on the bill with Anthrax.

I wouldn’t buy a magazine with them in the cover, unless there was something else in the mag I was interested in. And I wouldn’t read the article about the cover star if I didn’t care about their music. And to be honest, if the person in the front looked like a strat playing old man then I wouldn’t be bothered about checking them out either.

If they appeared in Jools when I used to watch it they clearly didn’t excite me enough to remember them.

But that’s ok. I don’t expect other people to have even heard of all the bands I listen too. That would be weird.

Iamnobody said:
    Even if all the posters who claim ignorance of these bands are that blinkered and haven’t read a magazine, watched a festival or TV programme (Jools etc) that’s featured these bands….

I bet most are aware of the Jeff Tweedy signature SG that was released in 2012, a lovely frost blue? colour with long lyre vibrato and a natural neck like Melody maker SG’s - well he’s in Wilco. 
    I have heard of Jeff Tweedy - not sure if I've ever heard any of his music - and I do remember his signature SG, it looked great.

However, I doubt "most" remember that SG, any more than they recognise the bands in the list.  It wasn't widely available or in production for very long, and in any case I get the impression there's generally a lot more interest here in Les Pauls, Strats and Teles than there is in SGs.

(Just saying, I'm not trying to have a big argument about it. :) )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 431
    The 'sneering' in here is hilarious..... Bunch of sad dweebs. Particularly since it was a humorous article to begin with...
    'Musos', eh....
  • PetGerbilPetGerbil Frets: 176
    He must be talking about you lot ^

Although I don't know who Jeff Tweedy is. Who wilco are, I haven't heard their music or recognize that SG..

And I am supremely proud of those facts. You should see me, My chest is pumped up, my shoulders back and the smug grin on my face is a joy to behold!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16102
    The Sad Dad Band ............................quite a good name for a Pub band actually
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Poboy said:
    The 'sneering' in here is hilarious..... Bunch of sad dweebs. Particularly since it was a humorous article to begin with...
    'Musos', eh....
    Don't think it's sneering, more discussing isn't it? You don't need to get all defensive cos you ain't heard of the amazing americana band Mucky Apron or some such lol
  • Poboy said:
    'Musos', eh....
    I think the only ‘sneering’ here is this ^

Music is a large world, I wouldn’t sneer if someone didn’t know who Allan Reuss or Baden Powell was.  I like the music I like.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    edited January 2022
    Fair enough if my post is singled out as sneering, I suppose it could be taken that way. 

The thing is for me, these bands aren’t particularly niche and I’m more surprised than anything at the amount of comments from music loving? musicians? never hearing of them.

Maybe it’s an age thing, I’m not sneering or looking for an argument. I guess some people just don’t absorb much outside their own sphere of interest etc.

I like to think I have a reasonable appreciation of lots of genres; music is one of my main interests. I couldn’t tell you albums, song names etc but I do tend to recognise artist names from genres I wouldn’t ever listen to,  if they’ve had reasonable exposure/success I’ve probably seen or read about them etc.

I only listen to 3 of those bands in the article myself and don’t resemble the comments about their listeners 
    s but I’m aware of all of the others in the article.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • I found it funny. I'm a forty-something dad and I and my fellow dad friends like a few of these bands. For me, Pearl Jam, Pavement and War on Drugs in particular. Some of the observations ring true as well, as we try to cling on to our youth and become embarrassing dads! 

The Pearl Jam comment about 'Josh' was a reference to this video, just watch the intro

The Pearl Jam comment about 'Josh' was a reference to this video, just watch the intro

Holy shit, they were so good in those days.  And great hair. 

For me they did it all on that first album - I'm not saying the later stuff was inferior, I know they have many fans, but they lost the hard rock element and that's the part I liked.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited January 2022
    Iamnobody said:
    Fair enough if my post is singled out as sneering, I suppose it could be taken that way. 

The thing is for me, these bands aren’t particularly niche and I’m more surprised than anything at the amount of comments from music loving? musicians? never hearing of them.

Maybe it’s an age thing, I’m not sneering or looking for an argument. I guess some people just don’t absorb much outside their own sphere of interest etc.

I like to think I have a reasonable appreciation of lots of genres; music is one of my main interests. I couldn’t tell you albums, song names etc but I do tend to recognise artist names from genres I wouldn’t ever listen to,  if they’ve had reasonable exposure/success I’ve probably seen or read about them etc.

I only listen to 3 of those bands in the article myself and don’t resemble the comments about their listeners s but I’m aware of all of the others in the article.

It can be a badge of honour among musicians to like a wide variety of stuff, and I'm sure it can be useful, but I think you could also argue that people who only listen to a certain type are actually more passionate about it?

There's obviously not a right or wrong way to enjoy music. 
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1843
    Offset said:
    I had pocketful of kryptonite on tape when it came out. It never got replaced as a CD unlike most of the tapes I had. Then, on a nostalgic whim I bought the CD a few months ago. And, I'm glad I did, it's all a bit aged but also pretty good. 
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.