The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7327
    Moloch said:
    It was Patrick Vieira.
    I wouldn't say that he was 'attacked' . He got shouted at and insulted, and someone was pretty much goading him and when the guy ran off he kicked out at the guy. Then someone pushed him away. He's obviously antagonised because someone is in his face and his team had been beat, but he kicked out at the guy as he had his back turned. Ultimately, it was a big load of nothing.

He had no option but to walk across the pitch at the end of the game as the other exits were closed due to ‘covid security’ apparently .It’s a ridiculous situation for him to be in and I hope he doesn’t get in trouble for it. The stupid chav filming himself insulting Vieira an sticking his middle finger right in his face deserved worse - a bit like that idiot who got his mate to film him provoking mike Tyson on a plane last month.

Some people shouldn’t be allowed to have camera phones as they just want to share brainless videos of them being twats as they think it’s cool
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    The anti City rhetoric ( “they’re ruining the league ”) is conveniently short on historical fact…

Apart from a one year break for Blackburn, the league was won by one of two teams every year between1992 and 2004. Then in 2004/5 Chelsea broke through and Arsenal dropped out and and it became a different 2 horse race until City won it in 2012. 

No doubt City’s current dominance will run its course. Plus ca change….
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10386
    Moloch said:
    It was Patrick Vieira.
    I wouldn't say that he was 'attacked' . He got shouted at and insulted, and someone was pretty much goading him and when the guy ran off he kicked out at the guy. Then someone pushed him away. He's obviously antagonised because someone is in his face and his team had been beat, but he kicked out at the guy as he had his back turned. Ultimately, it was a big load of nothing.

He had no option but to walk across the pitch at the end of the game as the other exits were closed due to ‘covid security’ apparently .It’s a ridiculous situation for him to be in and I hope he doesn’t get in trouble for it. The stupid chav filming himself insulting Vieira an sticking his middle finger right in his face deserved worse - a bit like that idiot who got his mate to film him provoking mike Tyson on a plane last month.

Some people shouldn’t be allowed to have camera phones as they just want to share brainless videos of them being twats as they think it’s cool
    Yea I agree. You can't blame him for lashing out after that provocation and in all honesty, it was pretty tame wasn't it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7201
    Disappointing from Liverpool FC and the city council to have the team's victory parade on the anniversary of the Heysel Stadium disaster; thought the club themselves might have been a bit more sensitive about that.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7424
    Here's the perfect anti gambling advert.

Before the season started I put a bet on Monaco to win Ligue 1 without PSG (so basically to come 2nd).
    A bit in to the season they weren't doing great and I thought no chance, but then I watched as they went on an unbeaten run and eventually got in to 2nd place behind PSG. 

I was pretty excited about this bet as I thought it was a great feat for them, so the last game I watched along with the stats. 
    It gets to injury time and they're winning 2-1, and 5 minutes is to be added. I couldn't look, so I locked my phone and went to do something.

I returned 10 minutes later to find that there had in fact been 6 minutes of injury time not 5, and they'd conceded a goal in this 6th minute; drawing the game and finishing the season in 3rd place behind Marseille.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    DefaultM said:
    Here's the perfect anti gambling advert.

Before the season started I put a bet on Monaco to win Ligue 1 without PSG (so basically to come 2nd).
    A bit in to the season they weren't doing great and I thought no chance, but then I watched as they went on an unbeaten run and eventually got in to 2nd place behind PSG. 

I was pretty excited about this bet as I thought it was a great feat for them, so the last game I watched along with the stats. 
    It gets to injury time and they're winning 2-1, and 5 minutes is to be added. I couldn't look, so I locked my phone and went to do something.

I returned 10 minutes later to find that there had in fact been 6 minutes of injury time not 5, and they'd conceded a goal in this 6th minute; drawing the game and finishing the season in 3rd place behind Marseille.
    I thought the Paul Merston documentary was powerful but yea, that's convinced me. ;) 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2952
    Fabio Carvalho's gone to Liverpool then. Hope he enjoys his handful of Carabao Cup games over the next few years before ending up somewhere like Steaua Bucharest.
    edited May 2022
    Bidley said:
    Fabio Carvalho's gone to Liverpool then. Hope he enjoys his handful of Carabao Cup games over the next few years before ending up somewhere like Steaua Bucharest.
    At the point of his career he's probably happy to be paid as well as he is going to be. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23536
    Bidley said:
    At the point of his career he's probably happy to be paid as well as he is going to be. 
    Money aside, I'm always surprised by footballers who decide to go from being a big (or even potentially) big fish in a small pond to being a minnow in a big pond.

But I guess professional sportspeople are a different breed.  They all have to believe that they're capable of making it to the very top, or they probably wouldn't make it at all.  It's only late in their careers that they realise their limitations and settle for a steady income somewhere in League One.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I thought the Paul Merston documentary was powerful but yea, that's convinced me.  
    I've not seen it, does he win?
    DefaultM said:
    I thought the Paul Merston documentary was powerful but yea, that's convinced me.  
    I've not seen it, does he win?
    Umm. Not really, no. 
    The thing is that if gambling and alcohol didn't exist then the people that are super unhappy with life would just find something else to fuck themselves up with. 

I can comfortably gamble when I want and stop whenever I want, but I'd have to admit I'm addicted to food. I will have my tea at 19:00 and then sometimes I'll go have another meal near midnight after eating loads of crisps in between. I wasn't even hungry the other day so I didn't cook my tea, but then it got to 21:30 and I still wasn't hungry but cos I'd not had my tea I felt I was missing it and ordered a curry.
     I go in the bookies and see them all losing money and kicking off screaming. If I lose my money it doesn't bother me because it's completely under control in my brain, but then I'm meant to be driving straight home after that and I suddenly find myself in the chip shop. I'll tear myself apart for that later. 

It's ridiculous but it doesn't mean it's the food's fault, or the adverts for the food. It doesn't mean it's Just Eat's fault for bringing me the curry I otherwise wouldn't have been able to get. Everyone has access to Just Eat but they don't all panic order takeaways and force them down.
    edited May 2022
    Sure, for many it's fine, but for many it's not.

People don't always becoming addicted to things because they're unhappy or have a predisposition to it. They can get addicted purely because of environmental and social actors that end up changing the way their brain works.

The constant adverts all over football are absolutely a factor and reason for why people, especially young people are enticed into it before they have the skills and development to really understand what they're doing to their brains, their finances, and their lives overall. The facts, the studies are clear, this is extremely detrimental to people's health, addition is a disease and it should be banned from advertisements during games and as team sponsors just like cigarettes and alcohol was.

And if you want to relate it to the food thing for you, the sugar, MSG, salt content in the food you eat absolutely will make you crave it.

Adverts will make you want it because your brain reacts in a certain way when it gets certain foods because of long term exposure to certain substances. So the more sugar, the more MSG you consume, the more adverts you see at particular times, the more impulsive you/I/people will be about consuming those foods.

We do not have as much control or self awareness over our impulses and desires as we like to think and we shouldn't encourage that in people by having non stop advertising of gambling. 

The fact is the gambling lobby is today's tobacco lobby. And they're complete and utter crooks who have no regard for people's health. I'm not saying ban it, but get some proper regulation going ffs because it ruins many, many peoples lives. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27900

The fact is the gambling lobby is today's tobacco lobby. And they're complete and utter crooks who have no regard for people's health. I'm not saying ban it, but get some proper regulation going ffs because it ruins many, many peoples lives. 
    I was about to post pretty much that exact comment.

At some point in the not-too-distant (I hope) future, the gambling industry will be treated in the same way as the tobacco industry is today.

And sport will have to find another source of money to fund its excesses.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14715
    tFB Trader
    Bidley said:
    Maybe so - But Alex Ox Chamberlain will be on his way out - Milner is getting on - LFC tend to buy the 'next' player before they are needed - Whilst they now have cover for Robinson they don't for AA - So gives him a chance - Admittedly cup matches inc those CL matches when they've already qualified plus last 10-20 mins of a PL match when they have already won 

I've always thought he looked handy and there was a time I think Bielsa/Leeds were interested in him for that overlapping full back role - So I've had an eye on him a bit 

However I do agree that many such promising talent gets watered down on the bench of a big club, before disappearing somewhere below where they originally came from 
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7020
    Philly_Q said:
    Bidley said:
    Money aside, I'm always surprised by footballers who decide to go from being a big (or even potentially) big fish in a small pond to being a minnow in a big pond.

But I guess professional sportspeople are a different breed.  They all have to believe that they're capable of making it to the very top, or they probably wouldn't make it at all.  It's only late in their careers that they realise their limitations and settle for a steady income somewhere in League One.
    If they didn’t they’d be seen as having the Matthew Le Tissier effect- talented but no drive to win anything, and a bit lazy.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1

People don't always becoming addicted to things because they're unhappy or have a predisposition to it. They can get addicted purely because of environmental and social actors that end up changing the way their brain works.

The constant adverts all over football are absolutely a factor and reason for why people, especially young people are enticed into it before they have the skills and development to really understand what they're doing to their brains, their finances, and their lives overall. The facts, the studies are clear, this is extremely detrimental to people's health, addition is a disease and it should be banned from advertisements during games and as team sponsors just like cigarettes and alcohol was.

And if you want to relate it to the food thing for you, the sugar, MSG, salt content in the food you eat absolutely will make you crave it.

Adverts will make you want it because your brain reacts in a certain way when it gets certain foods because of long term exposure to certain substances. So the more sugar, the more MSG you consume, the more adverts you see at particular times, the more impulsive you/I/people will be about consuming those foods.

We do not have as much control or self awareness over our impulses and desires as we like to think and we shouldn't encourage that in people by having non stop advertising of gambling. 

Interesting. So like when I wasn't hungry but it got to 21:30 and I felt like I needed a curry, that's because they fill it with addictive things?
    Not really thought about the gambling adverts in UK football, but America is going big on it at the minute.
     I immediately noticed them come in to UFC. Odds flashing up all the time, how much people are gambling (so and so just put 100k on etc), the odds system they use assume your minimum stake is $100 which is daft.
     I think they're actively trying to get people to gamble large amounts on that which I don't agree with. I know the gambling companies are all on football shirts, but I've never heard the commentator say "stick £100 on this now and you'll get £500 if it wins" or even mention gambling like in UFC. 
    edited May 2022
    DefaultM said:

Interesting. So like when I wasn't hungry but it got to 21:30 and I felt like I needed a curry, that's because they fill it with addictive things?
    Well I dunno. But when you think of certain foods certain things happen in your pleasure centres in your brain so that you want those foods. It becomes addictive. These pathways are there because of foods with high sugar, salt, MSG etc. These things can be triggered by adverts etc.

DefaultM said:
    Not really thought about the gambling adverts in UK football, but America is going big on it at the minute.
     I immediately noticed them come in to UFC. Odds flashing up all the time, how much people are gambling (so and so just put 100k on etc), the odds system they use assume your minimum stake is $100 which is daft.
     I think they're actively trying to get people to gamble large amounts on that which I don't agree with. I know the gambling companies are all on football shirts, but I've never heard the commentator say "stick £100 on this now and you'll get £500 if it wins" or even mention gambling like in UFC. 
    It's not just the shirts. Watch a Premier league game and watch the adverts. It is all gambling. The billboards, on the shirts. Odds flash up on screen. That Merson documentary (you should watch it on iPlayer) showed a study and it found that in a single game a person is exposed to thousands of images of gambling within that two hour period. 
    So if you watch a Premier League game on Sky Sports or whatever it is, in the commentary the announcer will talk about odds? 
    It sounds like it's a sort of multi pronged subliminal messaging, but will it make your regular guy who never thought about gambling want to start? Or is it targeted directly at a certain sort of person that their research showed they could take advantage of? (Which is also awful)