The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27875
    axisus said:

however, it looks like City could be even better next season with Haarland, if they win 7 out of 8, or even more then that isn't good at all. 
    Don't see how he'll make them any worse.
    :(

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3111
    Fair play to the Wolves, they turned up alright. Shame about losing Neto so early though. Congrats to those that got what they wanted today, commiserations to those that didn't.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    TTony said:
    axisus said:

however, it looks like City could be even better next season with Haarland, if they win 7 out of 8, or even more then that isn't good at all. 
    Don't see how he'll make them any worse.
    :(

Well, there's a chance, not every expensive player does well in the Prem. (unlikely, I know!). 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14704
    tFB Trader
    Don't you know pump it up the whites are staying up

Never expected that and I suppose a thanks to the Toons is now in order 

Just one point for any of those who have already seen it, or will do so later on MOTD  - Canos was sent off - But really the sending off wasn't to do with a 2nd yellow card for a  foul, it was for acting the total prat when taking your shirt off when you scored the goal - In context of a fine season for Brentford, no need for such a celebration, as that goal meant little/nothing in the grand scheme of things - So why are some of these guys just total nob heads at such moments - Totally pointless
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Brilliant City win. Never in doubt :)
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7194
    axisus said:
    tony99 said:
    Brother told me Everton should have had a blatant pen against man city when they played them. I wonder if it would have all played out differently if so.
    The season is full of rubbish, game changing poor decisions, however, every team has an ENTIRE season to accumulate points. There can be no tears over the odd mugging.

For any neutral it was an amazing end to the season. Unfortunately City winning is not necessarily good for the league - same team winning 4 out of the last 5 seasons. It's not a disaster, Man U have done that in the prem three times before, however, it looks like City could be even better next season with Haarland, if they win 7 out of 8, or even more then that isn't good at all. 
    I'm not sure what you mean. 
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1118
    edited May 2022
    Congratulations to Man City on winning the title, Liverpool pushed them to the final day, but in the end I think they were the best team. De Bruyne has been quality all season and deserves his award.

Never saw Norwich beating Tottenham unfortunately so our win was in vain vs Everton. Alot of work is needed in the summer to rebuild the team esp the frontline. I can see Laca, Pepe and possibly Nketiah leaving (though I think he should stay as backup at least). The team is going to be built round Odegaard I presume.

Cruel on Burnley to go down like that but what a fightback from Leeds. This really is the best league in the world as there's never any guarantees.

Oh and the new shirt is a bit crap. Don't like the collar.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23534
    I don't buy football shirts, but I hate all the ones with collars.  I've never understood why clubs always seem to alternate between round neck one year, collar the next.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1118
    Philly_Q said:
    I don't buy football shirts, but I hate all the ones with collars.  I've never understood why clubs always seem to alternate between round neck one year, collar the next.
    I haven't bought a shirt for about 15 years now. Last kit I owned was 2006/07 I think. I really don't like this one though.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10385
    I buy the home and away most years and sometimes the third kit. West Hams away kit is the nicest kit I've seen in a long time from any club. Next year's isn't as nice. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13008
    axisus said:
    tony99 said:
    Brother told me Everton should have had a blatant pen against man city when they played them. I wonder if it would have all played out differently if so.
    The season is full of rubbish, game changing poor decisions, however, every team has an ENTIRE season to accumulate points. There can be no tears over the odd mugging.

For any neutral it was an amazing end to the season. Unfortunately City winning is not necessarily good for the league - same team winning 4 out of the last 5 seasons. It's not a disaster, Man U have done that in the prem three times before, however, it looks like City could be even better next season with Haarland, if they win 7 out of 8, or even more then that isn't good at all. 
    It wasn't popular when I pointed it out earlier in the thread but English football is now going the same way as everywhere else - domination from a tiny number of super rich clubs. 

From the same number of games, Man City took the same number of points as Celtic, and with a superior goal difference. And that's with Celtic playing in a supposed "Mickey Mouse League". Liverpool almost matched them. Nobody else will win it any time soon. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    axisus said:
    tony99 said:

It wasn't popular when I pointed it out earlier in the thread but English football is now going the same way as everywhere else - domination from a tiny number of super rich clubs. 

From the same number of games, Man City took the same number of points as Celtic, and with a superior goal difference. And that's with Celtic playing in a supposed "Mickey Mouse League". Liverpool almost matched them. Nobody else will win it any time soon. 

It's why I was a fan of the european super league idea; a sort of forlorn hope that the 6 clubs who tried it on would have gone on to seek their riches elsewhere and leave the english leagues alone to become something closer to what we had previously.

Suppose it is just a coincidence that the 6 clubs who tried it are those who finished top 6 in the prem.

• CavemanGroggCavemanGrogg Frets: 3256
    edited May 2022
    axisus said:
    tony99 said:

Mickey Mouse league?  Celtic was the first team to win the treble for crying out loud.  Next you'll be telling us that a proper newspaper has the tits on the front pages and no the back pages.

But I agree, the EPL is getting pretty predictable, you pretty much know which teams are going to finish in the top 6, top 4 really if you follow the sport.  And I have to say, the recemt pitch invasions, attacks on players and managers during these pitch invasionsd has been shocking, I can honestlt see barriers being reintroduced if this trend keeps up, and if they are reintroduced, I do not see them coming down again even if fans get hurt or crushed to death against them again.
    axisus said:
    tony99 said:

Mickey Mouse league?  Celtic was the first team to win the treble for crying out loud.  Next you'll be telling us that a proper newspaper has the tits on the front pages and no the back pages.

But I agree, the EPL is getting pretty predictable, you pretty much know which teams are going to finish in the top 6, top 4 really if you follow the sport.  And I have to say, the recemt pitch invasions, attacks on players and managers during these pitch invasionsd has been shocking, I can honestlt see barriers being reintroduced if this trend keeps up, and if they are reintroduced, I do not see them coming down again even if fans get hurt or crushed to death against them again.
    oh my has a manager been attacked as well?
    tony99 said:
    axisus said:
    tony99 said:

Yes, happened this week, couldn't tell you who it was though, I don't really follow the sport, some idiot charged at him, the manager defended himself by kicking the idiot, and now I believe the manager is facing an assualt charge, while the idio is getting off scott free.
    tony99 said:
    axisus said:
    tony99 said:

Yes, happened this week, couldn't tell you who it was though, I don't really follow the sport, some idiot charged at him, the manager defended himself by kicking the idiot, and now I believe the manager is facing an assualt charge, while the idio is getting off scott free.
    You know what happened but you don't know whom it happened to ? 
    edited May 2022
    tony99 said:
    tony99 said:
    axisus said:
    tony99 said:

You know what happened but you don't know whom it happened to ? 

The only reason why I ''watch'' football is so that the town's Englishman doesn't text me a running commentry on matches, it's better to sit next to him in the pub and pretend I'm interested, than to not, and have my phone going off every 2 minutres during matches.  So 90% of the time I couldn't even tell you who's playing the match we're watching.  The only things I know about football are what the Google results for ''how to wind up a Spurs fan'' is, and even then, it's only the first few links that I've had a quick look at.  And yes, we, the women I'm sort of seeing, the Englishman, a few friends and myself regulary go to watch the local team play in what ever division they're in, and to this day I don't know what our local team is called, nor what division they play in, or their place in that divisions table. 
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 730
    It was Patrick Vieira.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    One point, and five goals between the top two, and then an eighteen point drop down to the third place club.

I suppose one difference between EPL and SPL is that the ‘only two teams that can possibly win’ changes periodically, in England, and stays the same in Scotland. 

It’s not necessarily something English fans should be crowing about, either, or decrying other leagues over. It looks as unhealthy a situation as all the other leagues where the title is pretty much a closed shop, to me.. If it’s not there, yet, it’s very much going that way..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10385
    edited May 2022
    Moloch said:
    It was Patrick Vieira.
    I wouldn't say that he was 'attacked' . He got shouted at and insulted, and someone was pretty much goading him and when the guy ran off he kicked out at the guy. Then someone pushed him away. He's obviously antagonised because someone is in his face and his team had been beat, but he kicked out at the guy as he had his back turned. Ultimately, it was a big load of nothing.