The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1117
    Why are we so shit esp when it matters the most!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14663
    tFB Trader
    There is a fragile nature to Arsenal coupled with inconsistency - On a good day they are excellent to watch with some great youngsters - But equally they can lack grit and back bone and possibly some experience - The bad news is that it looks like they won't get the 4th spot this year - And yet they have had a free run at it with no distractions via European matches - So next year they will we want that CL spot - Yet they will have to play more games with that Thursday + Sunday criteria to manage 

They certainly need a very good striker - Plus possibly a good 'conductor' in midfield who knows when to sit/adsorb and when to drive 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7307
    edited May 2022
    Well done Everton , we stopped playing second half but Everton were brave and deserved the win overall . Especially pleased for the fans and for Lampard who seems a decent bloke if not a top manager . That Anthony Gordon fella has the makings of an absolute arse though - loads of raw talent but rolls around continually and goes out of his way to provoke and try and get other players sent off. It’s a shame seeing that so early in someone’s career
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4686
    Con as an Everton supporter I agree with you on Gordon, I’m hoping he grows out of it because the talent is there, DCL finally comes good after being crap all season. Massive result tonight, now I I have the Inverness Caley Thistle play off game to go through tomorrow night. I will have no fingernails left come bed time tomorrow night at this rate 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7307
    Con as an Everton supporter I agree with you on Gordon, I’m hoping he grows out of it because the talent is there, DCL finally comes good after being crap all season. Massive result tonight, now I I have the Inverness Caley Thistle play off game to go through tomorrow night. I will have no fingernails left come bed time tomorrow night at this rate 
    Didn’t realise you were a blue Mikey . Congratulations , let’s hope you get some consistency next season because you are the very definition of a club that’s too big to go down 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4686
    I’m an adopted blue mate. Mrs and whole family are Everton fans and I didn’t really follow an English team ( had a season ticket for Bradford city for a few years used to take my lads on a sat) so over the years I have ended up becoming and Everton supporter. 

my team is Inverness we have play off final tomorrow against St Johnstone so that’s another nerve wracking affair 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    pleased for the fans and for Lampard who seems a decent bloke if not a top manager . 
    In all fairness, it's early in his career and Everton was something of a poisoned chalice. I'm not an Everton fan in the least but I'm glad they stayed up, they are a team that I would say belong in the top flight, plus I like Frank.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I dont particularly follow the premier league, but I used to be more interested in top flight footie. Anyway, always had a bit of a soft spot for Everton, so I’m glad they’ve stayed up.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14663
    tFB Trader
    FFL may well have saved Everton from relegation this year - But who is going to save Everton from themselves - Reports in the press now showing their balance sheet is a huge mess

They have posted losses of £372m over the past three years.

Premier League profitability and sustainability rules allow for losses of £105m over a three-year period.

Everton say that Covid-19 losses over the past two seasons amount to £170m, which can be deducted from their total.

But that figure has caused surprise among some Premier League teams because it dwarfs clubs of a similar size.

Earlier this week, Newcastle posted Covid-19 losses of £40m over the past two seasons, while Aston Villa said theirs amounted to £56m.

A new stadium to finance and still buying last Jan window - Signing Alli, Mykolenko and Patterson in deals worth an initial £35m, rising to as much as £70m

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7177
    edited May 2022
    FFL may well have saved Everton from relegation this year - But who is going to save Everton from themselves - Reports in the press now showing their balance sheet is a huge mess

They have posted losses of £372m over the past three years.

Premier League profitability and sustainability rules allow for losses of £105m over a three-year period.

Everton say that Covid-19 losses over the past two seasons amount to £170m, which can be deducted from their total.

But that figure has caused surprise among some Premier League teams because it dwarfs clubs of a similar size.

Earlier this week, Newcastle posted Covid-19 losses of £40m over the past two seasons, while Aston Villa said theirs amounted to £56m.

A new stadium to finance and still buying last Jan window - Signing Alli, Mykolenko and Patterson in deals worth an initial £35m, rising to as much as £70m

I found it a bit odd that it only seemed to cause surprise among other premier league teams as soon as Everton were safe from relegation. Seriously, they posted the losses in March.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10383
    edited May 2022
    The Everton pitch invasion was such a bad idea. A pitch invasion for 16th? That's some small time thinking for such a low league position. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    The Everton pitch invasion was such a bad idea. A pitch invasion for 16th? That's some small time thinking for such a low league position. 
    I don't think there was much thinking going on at all.
    Philly_Q said:
    I don't think there was much thinking going on at all.
    Considering some of the signings and the lack of a shit of losing Ancelloti, and the treatment of Benitez, two top CL winning managers completely out of their league btw, you'd have to think that the club from top to bottom lack basic thinking skills. 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3108
    As a supporter of a team that's been relegated many times and also stayed up on the last day despite being bottom before kick off... I understand why they invaded the pitch. It's the pressure suddenly being relieved. Their main rivals would never have let them forget it if they'd been relegated. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

edited May 2022
    As a supporter of a team that's been relegated many times and also stayed up on the last day despite being bottom before kick off... I understand why they invaded the pitch. It's the pressure suddenly being relieved. Their main rivals would never have let them forget it if they'd been relegated. 
    I'm a West Ham fan and season ticket holder. We've been relegated multiple times. The thought of any of our fans invading the pitch because we got 16th seems baffling. It's not an achievement, it's a failure for a club of that stature. If anything, they've given Liverpool more ammo with such a silly display. Now if it Were Millwall, I'd understand. ;)
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9967
    All these idiots running onto football pitches has to stop ASAP in my opinion. 

It's only a matter of time before someone does it at Villa park and gets man of the match.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9967
    I think we had a pitch invasion for winning the U23s cup as well to be fair didn't we?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited May 2022
    I don't like pitch invasions ( hate violence in the name of football more ) but was witness to, possibly, the best pitch invasion ever, when on 8th May 1999 Jimmy Glass scored the winner for Carlisle Utd in the 94th minute to keep us in the league when Michael Knighton had effectively destroyed the club and was about to pull the plug if we went down.

The atmosphere in the ground was toxic coming up to full time after a catalogue of disastrous decisions at board level were due to take us out of the league for the first time since 1927, leaving us bereft and liquidated.

I was on the terrace with my wife ( also a lifelong fan ) near the directors box for most of the game, but as it got more ugly ( 1-1  in injury time and with us down because Scarborough were drawing ) I suggested that we got out of it and went down towards the exit to make a sharp get away at full time ( have never left early ). That was 91 minutes gone.

We were standing two terraces up in line with the six yard box when our on loan goalie came up for a corner and rammed it in the net on 94 minutes. It was chaos, in a good way. A lot of fans were on the pitch in the celebration, even the ref got jumped on ( he took it well because he has been back a few times to talk about the experience at various events ).

Being of faint heart, I remember shouting and screaming at our fans to get off the pitch, just in case the game was halted or at worst abandoned. Thankfully ( nothing to do my advise ) they did .

And there is an example of why fans might end up on the pitch, through passion, connection, history, and local pride, even in adversity. Maybe that's what the Everton fans felt ? 

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12999

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Haha yes.