The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14750
    tFB Trader
     That may well depend on when Tony Bloom decides he wants to stop pumping in 'big loans' to the club
    Bloom hasn't been pumping in big loans for a while. Brighton has generated £150 million profit on transfers in the last two season. The Brighton model - having got to where it is now - looks to be financially self-sustaining.
    I quote - Bloom of course remains the chief benefactor having now pumped nearly half a billion pounds into the Albion. That is up £70 million on where his investment stood last season; one of the many interesting aspects on a balance sheet which looks good in places and not-so-good in others. - https://www.wearebrighton.com/newsopinion/a-24-1m-profit-and-what-else-we-learnt-from-brighton-2021-22-accounts/

I agree that the Brighton model is the way forward for a 'non-elite' club and I don't mean that in a derogatory way - But we all know the top 6-8 clubs have 'sugar daddy' funding that the rest can't compete with - Wait until you see the next Chelsea accounts (based on trading to June 2024) that could well show a lost of at least £150m lost in one season alone - That will smash existing FFP rules - So the BHA model is to be congratulated - But those sales (after careful recruitment) are needed to avoid significant losses and potential future FFP - Remember it is these profitable sales that are required to turn a trading lost, after amortisation and wages

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27944
    AustrianJohn said:

Brighton has generated £150 million profit on transfers in the last two season. The Brighton model - having got to where it is now - looks to be financially self-sustaining.
    I think Brighton have done excellently. 

I remember (early 2000's) when I was working in the city for 18mths and they were both ground-less and the team was really struggling.  In two decades and with Bloom's investments, they've properly turned that around.

However, I'd argue that it's only self-sustaining as long as they can continue to find good, young, cheap players, develop them for a couple of seasons, and then sell them on for a massive profit, whilst maintaining on-field performances.  That's a couple of fairly significant challenges.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    See Moyes has been offered a new contract- Although he has not yet said yes
  • jimmydjimmyd Frets: 60
    @TTony totally agree with your comments on Brighton.

And I can't see them getting the jump on other teams and unearthing diamonds to recruit and then sell on for much longer. Prem teams with more money will copy what they're doing and improve their scouting in South America, or cut out the middle man and recruit Brighton's key scouts direct. I can't imagine for one moment they're not already trying to replicate what Brighton are doing. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2853
     That may well depend on when Tony Bloom decides he wants to stop pumping in 'big loans' to the club
    Bloom hasn't been pumping in big loans for a while. Brighton has generated £150 million profit on transfers in the last two season. The Brighton model - having got to where it is now - looks to be financially self-sustaining.
    I quote - Bloom of course remains the chief benefactor having now pumped nearly half a billion pounds into the Albion. That is up £70 million on where his investment stood last season; one of the many interesting aspects on a balance sheet which looks good in places and not-so-good in others. - https://www.wearebrighton.com/newsopinion/a-24-1m-profit-and-what-else-we-learnt-from-brighton-2021-22-accounts/

I agree that the Brighton model is the way forward for a 'non-elite' club and I don't mean that in a derogatory way - But we all know the top 6-8 clubs have 'sugar daddy' funding that the rest can't compete with - Wait until you see the next Chelsea accounts (based on trading to June 2024) that could well show a lost of at least £150m lost in one season alone - That will smash existing FFP rules - So the BHA model is to be congratulated - But those sales (after careful recruitment) are needed to avoid significant losses and potential future FFP - Remember it is these profitable sales that are required to turn a trading lost, after amortisation and wages

What is “Player Amortisation” - are they bumping off players to reduce their costs ?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12050
    It’s the spreading of their cost over the lifetime of their contracts.

so £100 million player on a 5 year contract only cost £20mil a year on the books, even though £100mil has been paid already. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27944
    Someone's going to be happy tonight ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    tFB Trader
    It’s the spreading of their cost over the lifetime of their contracts.

so £100 million player on a 5 year contract only cost £20mil a year on the books, even though £100mil has been paid already. 
    Plus if after 4 years of his contract, his book value has gone from 100 - 20 million and you sell him for 30 mill you now make 10 mill profit  - Amortisation is a paper transaction in many ways and adds nothing to your 'cash flow' - You can argue if your 100 mill player goes on a freebie after 5 years and doesn't take a new contract , hence a free transfer to another club, you've actually lost nothing on the books, or gained anything either, as his book value was now zero anyway - Equally if that player signs a new contract with 1 year remaining of his original/existing contract, and his book value is 20 mill at this stage, then his potential transfer value will have now increased, with a new longer contract, yet his book value will still be 20 mill, and will reduce further after that next financial year 

It doesn't include players who come out of the junior academy - ie Conor Callagher at Chelsea - No purchase price paid, so no amortisation - So sheer profit when you sell him and it is such sales that clubs really need most to soften any FFP 
    edited February 23 tFB Trader
    Didn't deserve that win tonight - Leics deserved to win - Out played us for 80 mins - Good goal disallowed so good job no VAR - They missed 2/3 sitters and should have been sitting comfortably - Then 3 goals in 10 mins and that crowd goes bonkers - I suppose such 'lucky' wins make up for defeats when you know you should have won - Oh well - Going to make that chase for promotion handy - 15 points behind not to long ago 

Saying that, it doesn't half pee you off, when before kick off their manager says 'tonight is a big game for Leeds, but not a big deal for us ' 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3964
    Good win for the mighty Darlington Football Club, which solidifies 23rd place in the National League North for us. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Great win for us yesterday vs the Toon. Put the game to bed quite early on by finishing the chances. Hitting good form so hope we can carry this on. Still got Partey and Timber to come back but the team is playing well even without a striker (still need one though).
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4633
    Nice bit of inter team fighting in the Sheffield Utd game today.  Give em hell chaps 
    tFB Trader
    DesVegas said:
    Nice bit of inter team fighting in the Sheffield Utd game today.  Give em hell chaps 
    Boyer and Dyer mk2 ?
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4378
    Deadman said:
    Good win for the mighty Darlington Football Club, which solidifies 23rd place in the National League North for us. 
    I went to Dorking Wanderers v Ebbsfleet yesterday. One step of the pyramid above your lot. 

Proper 6 pointer. Dorking 21st. Ebbsfleet 20th. Both on 38 points. 1 goal between them in GD. 

Ebbsfleet deservedly won 4-1. Their first two goals were lovely. 

Dorking’s 11th home defeat of the season. I think they may well go down this year. Marc White seems to have lost his mojo. 

Chesterfield next week for the TV game. I’ll be at that one too. Think that will be defeat number 12. Chesterfield have the league sown up already. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

Great win for us yesterday vs the Toon. Put the game to bed quite early on by finishing the chances. Hitting good form so hope we can carry this on. Still got Partey and Timber to come back but the team is playing well even without a striker (still need one though).
    Great performance. Result to match. 

Made up for the away leg, where we were robbed. 

That ‘goal’ still winds me up. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12543
    Interesting time as a Portsmouth fan. We’ve usually had an inexplicable run of 5 straight losses to kill automatic promotion by now. 

I’m fairly sure there’s heartbreak coming but enjoyable at the moment.  
  • CHRISB50 said:
    Great win for us yesterday vs the Toon. Put the game to bed quite early on by finishing the chances. Hitting good form so hope we can carry this on. Still got Partey and Timber to come back but the team is playing well even without a striker (still need one though).

I think the lads were fired up from the reverse fixture. But yes the ball was out of play before the cross went in.

Jorginho was class again, £12m what a bargain. Him and Rice in the midfield really give us the control we need to win games. Imagine if Partey was fit for more than 2 games as well with Odegaard in front.
    CHRISB50 said:

I think the lads were fired up from the reverse fixture. But yes the ball was out of play before the cross went in.

Jorginho was class again, £12m what a bargain. Him and Rice in the midfield really give us the control we need to win games. Imagine if Partey was fit for more than 2 games as well with Odegaard in front.
    Yeah they were really up for this one. 

Jorginho had a cracking game. As did Rice. 

It was one of our best performances of the season. Just hope we can keep this momentum. 

The match at the Etihad is going to be massive. 

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2387

Well done to the Liverpool kids! When all the kids were coming on I thought I hope their nerves are up to penalties but they were fantastic. Bad luck Chelsea. You can't win anything with kids....

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2661
    rze99 said:

Well done to the Liverpool kids! When all the kids were coming on I thought I hope their nerves are up to penalties but they were fantastic. Bad luck Chelsea. You can't win anything with kids....

Just as well. Don't know if I could take another press conference with Princess Jurgen moaning about the ref's decisions.