The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14768
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    Thank fuck for that. Denied yet another penalty but 3 points nonetheless. Much needed. 

:|
    Kalvin Phillips is awful btw. No wonder he was never getting a game for City. 
    Just heard a nice story on R5 about your elderly fan Vera and wanting to hear Mull of Kintyre one more time - Nice story
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    Thank fuck for that. Denied yet another penalty but 3 points nonetheless. Much needed. 

Just heard a nice story on R5 about your elderly fan Vera and wanting to hear Mull of Kintyre one more time - Nice story
    Video of it here…

https://youtube.com/shorts/ACiIodTEkXo?si=I35gTAyi3FgBT-ja

it’s lovely
    tFB Trader
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    joneve said:

Video of it here…

https://youtube.com/shorts/ACiIodTEkXo?si=I35gTAyi3FgBT-ja

it’s lovely
    Yes I saw that - as I say a nice moment and I’m sure she’ll treasure it for what ever time she has left with us
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3173
    We could win the Europa League this year and finish 12th and the fans would want him gone. 
    I doubt that. It's automatic entry into the CL nowadays isn't it? He would surely deserve a crack at it, even if it was just one year, go out with a bang. And with the Conference and Europa under his belt, he just might pull off the hat-trick! He may well be a terrific cup manager in Europe and even if the league form suffers a bit, those glory days stick long in the memory.

Get rid, and then it's back to the bad old days of bouncing between the leagues with the wrong manager. With Jose you will finish 7th.

I would give Moyes a one year extension, but demand a domestic trophy or CL qualification to get a 2nd year. At least everyone knows where they are then. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10387
    edited February 20
    Shrews said:
    We could win the Europa League this year and finish 12th and the fans would want him gone. 
    I doubt that. It's automatic entry into the CL nowadays isn't it? He would surely deserve a crack at it, even if it was just one year, go out with a bang. And with the Conference and Europa under his belt, he just might pull off the hat-trick! He may well be a terrific cup manager in Europe and even if the league form suffers a bit, those glory days stick long in the memory.

Get rid, and then it's back to the bad old days of bouncing between the leagues with the wrong manager. With Jose you will finish 7th.

I would give Moyes a one year extension, but demand a domestic trophy or CL qualification to get a 2nd year. At least everyone knows where they are then. 
    I'm telling you mate, if we won the Europa league regardless if he deserved it many fans would still want him gone because they don't like the football. The air is so toxic around this subject right now. 

I agree with you about everything, but not everyone does. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2859
    We did better with Sam than we did with Zola, Pelegríni, Abram Grant, Croatian bloke, Pardew, Curbishley, Macari, Roeder, Bonds event and anyone else other than Lyall and Greenwood,

So we’ve had the big names, some English young guns, some Europeans and none of them have produced the goods.  

We do not need to change,  certainly not this year
    sev112 said:
    We did better with Sam than we did with Zola, Pelegríni, Abram Grant, Croatian bloke, Pardew, Curbishley, Macari, Roeder, Bonds event and anyone else other than Lyall and Greenwood,

So we’ve had the big names, some English young guns, some Europeans and none of them have produced the goods.  

We do not need to change,  certainly not this year
    I agree. It will pick up again. 
    Well that's another West Ham dream shattered :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68346321
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Well that's another West Ham dream shattered :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68346321
    My first thought is that Real Madrid will now win everything - current lineup plus Mbappe is a strong team - But then you have to consider how his huge ego and that massive chip will bed in with that team 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27971
    edited February 21
    Maybe he'll agitate for a loan to WHU once he gets bored of Madrid?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Tom Lockyer can’t seriously be coming back to play again? He has a literal defibrillator implant in his body. Put your feet up lad, it’s not worth it. 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    joneve said:
    Tom Lockyer can’t seriously be coming back to play again? He has a literal defibrillator implant in his body. Put your feet up lad, it’s not worth it. 
    I know Danny Blind has one, doesn't Erikson have one but are they the same kind?  His looks massive, and what if it gets hit on the field?

It seems inane to play a contact sport like football when his body has told him twice in a year that he should give it a rest.
    joneve said:
    I know Danny Blind has one, doesn't Erikson have one but are they the same kind?  His looks massive, and what if it gets hit on the field?

It seems inane to play a contact sport like football when his body has told him twice in a year that he should give it a rest.
    Precisely my thinking. He’s been very lucky twice. I understand the competitive nature that will be ingrained but surely quality and quantity of life with your family is more important 
    If he's been deemed safe to play and he doesn't he'll probably be in breach of his contract and be broke. I doubt that any insurance policy would payout and cover the remainder of his contract unless his cardiologists have said he can't play anymore so maybe he feels like he has no choice?
    I can't imagine any doctor will sign off someone who has had 2 cardiac arrests in the past year to be fit to play, that seems unethical to me.  This isn't like a broken leg where the body has healed.  He isn't cured, he still has the condition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 21
    I can't imagine any doctor will sign off someone who has had 2 cardiac arrests in the past year to be fit to play, that seems unethical to me.  This isn't like a broken leg where the body has healed.  He isn't cured, he still has the condition.
    I know, I find it hard to believe too, but surely he would be risking his insurance policy if he plays when he's deemed unfit? I couldn't see the club allowing him to play against medical advice either.

If I remember this was the case with Fabrice Muamba and in the end he took the insurance payout which covered the remainder of his contract and more. 

It's either he's ignoring medical advice and risking everything to play or he has no choice because he's deemed fit to play and can't cash in any life insurance/critical illness cover. Both seem unlikely but one must be true. 
    I just can't imagine any doctor would sign him off as fit to play professional football with his history and current condition.  The frequency and recent cardiac arrest is a massive alarm bell.
    I just can't imagine any doctor would sign him off as fit to play professional football with his history and current condition.  The frequency and recent cardiac arrest is a massive alarm bell.
    I know, I agree. But if so surely he invalidates any insurance he has, unless he doesn't have any, and he isn't likely to get one now. I don't see how the club would allow it either. They barely let you use a pen without considering the legal implications so It's baffling all round. 
  •  That may well depend on when Tony Bloom decides he wants to stop pumping in 'big loans' to the club
    Bloom hasn't been pumping in big loans for a while. Brighton has generated £150 million profit on transfers in the last two season. The Brighton model - having got to where it is now - looks to be financially self-sustaining.
  • Annoyed about the late goal we conceded last night vs Porto. Sloppy pass out when should have managed the game better late on and took the draw. We didn't offer much attacking wise.

But quietly confident we can pull it back round in the return leg. It's only 1 goal.