The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• Another great away win. 11 goals in 2 games. None conceded. This is the sort of ruthlessness we're going to need if we're going to land any challenge on the title.

Nice luxury to be able to take off Saka/White/Rice and save them from picking up any unnecessary injuries. Saka was overused last season and it led to him burning out I think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    joneve said:
    Thank fuck for that. Denied yet another penalty but 3 points nonetheless. Much needed. 

:|
    Kalvin Phillips is awful btw. No wonder he was never getting a game for City. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3130
    @thecolourbox - will be supporting WBA tomorrow- Also watching Leeds Rhinos first game of the season so will have to swap over a few times

But hoping Mowatt will do his old club a big favour 
    As will I! But think most I can hope for is a well earned draw I think. We do at least now have a striker (only on loan from Bristol, and an ex Villa player so weare conflicted haha) who knows what a goal looks like though so who knows. Mowatt is decent, a hard worker and is slways available for the ball but as he's defensive he goes relatively unnoticed I think. But then alongside the majestic Okay Yokuslu, I think anybody would enjoy being in the midfield engine room!
    @guitars4you sorry about that. My dad and I agreed that Southampton were really only better than us in one area of the pitch - that are being the bit inside the white touchlines 

We were atrocious and they were clinical
    It was unlikely that we'd win even without the atrocious officials. Their opener came from a corner that should have been a GK and we should have had a pen (plus Carlos getting sent down the tunnel). They were a much better though tbf. I'm just glad we've gotten rid of Mr Lai - the new era has started. @thecolourbox
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15382
    tFB Trader
    @thecolourbox - will be supporting WBA tomorrow- Also watching Leeds Rhinos first game of the season so will have to swap over a few times

But hoping Mowatt will do his old club a big favour 
    As will I! But think most I can hope for is a well earned draw I think. We do at least now have a striker (only on loan from Bristol, and an ex Villa player so weare conflicted haha) who knows what a goal looks like though so who knows. Mowatt is decent, a hard worker and is slways available for the ball but as he's defensive he goes relatively unnoticed I think. But then alongside the majestic Okay Yokuslu, I think anybody would enjoy being in the midfield engine room!
    @guitars4you sorry about that. My dad and I agreed that Southampton were really only better than us in one area of the pitch - that are being the bit inside the white touchlines 

We were atrocious and they were clinical
    If you want a job doing then do it yourself eh ? - Boro did us a favour today with 3 ex Leeds lads in their team - I bet it gave them an additional boost - Getting a bit close and scary now for you and down to Sunderland in 10th and maybe 3 more clubs only an additional 3 points behind them but hope you make it 
    tFB Trader
    Man U playing in all white- What is that all about- Paying tribute to Yorkshire’s finest ? - Plus white rose was/is always superior ?
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4904
    Man U playing in all white- What is that all about- Paying tribute to Yorkshire’s finest ? - Plus white rose was/is always superior ?
    We’ve always had all white kits, from the Sharp days, Sharp Viewcam, AIG, Chevrolet, team viewer etc to be fair.

Either way, just glad we’ve won a few games and Hojlund is scoring a few.  It will probably turn to shit, but an outside chance of CL football next year.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10580
    Two recent polls done about Moyes.

Football is about results, and as I've said before I clearly remember the recent relegations and how far we've come from that under Moyes so he has a lot of credit in the bank with me. We're going to have dips in form because Moyes is a bit one dimensional and defensive, but at the end of the day results matter and I don't see how you can sack a manager who is getting results. Some of the squad depth issues, injuries aren't his fault but it's clear that the football is poor at times, even if we do have periods where we do well and climb the table. This issue is creating a massive divide amongst the fanbase who believe we should be able to play much more attractive football and have even more success. 

Personally, I could get behind replacing Moyes when his contract runs out but the recruitment has to be top notch and exciting. If we are not 100% sure that the football will be better and the outcome will be better I say keep Moyes. 

The lack of respect some sections are showing towards this man who gave us stability and success remind me of the awful behaviour of that Wenger Out mob, and it's a shameful way to act. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    We’ve always had all white kits, from the Sharp days, Sharp Viewcam, AIG, Chevrolet, team viewer etc to be fair.

Either way, just glad we’ve won a few games and Hojlund is scoring a few.  It will probably turn to shit, but an outside chance of CL football next year.
    I certainly don't follow them with interest but always had in my mind that they wore black shorts with white tops - But just googled some old pics and yes you are right
    tFB Trader

Football is about results, and as I've said before I clearly remember the recent relegations and how far we've come from that under Moyes so he has a lot of credit in the bank with me. We're going to have dips in form because Moyes is a bit one dimensional and defensive, but at the end of the day results matter and I don't see how you can sack a manager who is getting results. Some of the squad depth issues, injuries aren't his fault but it's clear that the football is poor at times, even if we do have periods where we do well and climb the table. This issue is creating a massive divide amongst the fanbase who believe we should be able to play much more attractive football and have even more success. 

Personally, I could get behind replacing Moyes when his contract runs out but the recruitment has to be top notch and exciting. If we are not 100% sure that the football will be better and the outcome will be better I say keep Moyes. 

The lack of respect some sections are showing towards this man who gave us stability and success remind me of the awful behaviour of that Wenger Out mob, and it's a shameful way to act. 
    Heard an interesting chat on R5 a few weeks ago about DM and why he was not offered a new contract after the cup win - It then begs the question why would he want to stay when it is apparent he was not 'fully supported' by the board and many sections of the fans - I'm sure many clubs/fans have wished for a manager to be gone then find out weeks/months later the grass is not always greener - Just looked at your recent managers and was surprised to see Big Sam nearly managed a 4 year stint - I obviously forgot about that 

Playing attractive football is one thing - Achieving success in this era when only a few clubs have the appropriate funds to seriously compete is another, so on that basis what is success - Hi-lights what a great job he did last season

Not so much asking you, but who do the Moyes out fans want in charge 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319

Some people love to have their cake and eat it.  They see another team doing the same and they want it.  Forgetting they are sitting in the top 10 in the best league, the toughest league in the world.  

It is bonkers, considering West Ham's resources, they are pretty much exactly in the position, or slightly above where they can be.  

They should do a poll and ask the same fans if they would trade position in the tablet with Burnley.  Nicer to watch football, 2nd from bottom.

Of course, they will ask (like one of them did to me), why does it necessary have to be Burnley? Why not Spurs.  It's my question...the point is you can't have your cake and eat it.  They might be looking at Brighton and ask...they are above us...well, only after this weekend.  
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28425

I hear Mourinho is being lined up ... 

OK, not really, but it would serve the Moyes-outters right :D

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Heard an interesting chat on R5 a few weeks ago about DM and why he was not offered a new contract after the cup win - It then begs the question why would he want to stay when it is apparent he was not 'fully supported' by the board and many sections of the fans - I'm sure many clubs/fans have wished for a manager to be gone then find out weeks/months later the grass is not always greener - Just looked at your recent managers and was surprised to see Big Sam nearly managed a 4 year stint - I obviously forgot about that 

Playing attractive football is one thing - Achieving success in this era when only a few clubs have the appropriate funds to seriously compete is another, so on that basis what is success - Hi-lights what a great job he did last season

There's no concensus. I think that it's the job of the board to make this choice really. Many supporters say they'd rather be bottom playing attractive football than top playing the current football but this is bollocks, complete and utter bollocks. When Zola was in charge we played fast, attacking and attractive football and everyone was calling for his head because we were 17th or something, so what people really want is attractive, attacking football and results. Well, good luck with that. There's only like 5 teams who do that and only one of them really win anything. 

Let's look at the options. 

Potter - A free agent whose stock was damaged by his Chelsea spell but whose reputation wasn't damaged by being at Chelsea recently? I judge him on his Brighton spell much more than his Chelsea one, that club seems to be quite dysfunctional at the moment. I think he could give the fans the football they want but I don't know if we'd get the success we want.

Mourinho - This would be a roller coaster. The football would be similar but it would be better. I have no problem with playing low block, counter attacking football. It won Real Madrid titles, champions leagues so the issue is the execution and you know he'd do it well until it crashed and burned. I would give this serial winner a go. The Premier League is better with him in it and bringing him back when Klopp is leaving would be electric but I don't think this is a popular choice. RESPECT, RESPECT. 

Will Still - He's a West Ham fan and famously learned the basics of tactical management on Football Manager. He's currently doing well at Reims, having gone on a long unbeaten streak at some point but he's really unproven and I don't think that we should be recruiting new managers.

Other names mentioned are Xabi Alonso, but come on, he's going to Liverpool, Rafa, but no one wants him, Michael Carrick, but I wouldn't recruit a Championship manager, and a few others.

If we do get rid of him, I'll see you all here in two years when we're 15th and everyone is losing their minds despite us scoring lots. 
    tFB Trader

Some people love to have their cake and eat it.  They see another team doing the same and they want it.  Forgetting they are sitting in the top 10 in the best league, the toughest league in the world.  

It is bonkers, considering West Ham's resources, they are pretty much exactly in the position, or slightly above where they can be.  

They should do a poll and ask the same fans if they would trade position in the tablet with Burnley.  Nicer to watch football, 2nd from bottom.

Of course, they will ask (like one of them did to me), why does it necessary have to be Burnley? Why not Spurs.  It's my question...the point is you can't have your cake and eat it.  They might be looking at Brighton and ask...they are above us...well, only after this weekend.  
    You have to admire Brighton's position over the last 10 years or so - A handy run club and how it goes about running itself with far more limited resources - They are certainly the 'smallest' club in the top 10 at the moment - It might be fair to say they are boxing above their weight, so how long can they keep it going - That may well depend on when Tony Bloom decides he wants to stop pumping in 'big loans' to the club

With the exception of Everton, every other club in the bottom half of the table has been a regular visitor to the EFL and fair to say another trip there is a strong possibility this season or in the next few seasons for such clubs - That hi-lights what a job Moyes is doing - W Ham are already safe this season and for many clubs that is their first target 
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:

I hear Mourinho is being lined up ... 

OK, not really, but it would serve the Moyes-outters right :D

serious or sarcasm - assume the latter 
    tFB Trader

There's no concensus. I think that it's the job of the board to make this choice really. Many supporters say they'd rather be bottom playing attractive football than top playing the current football but this is bollocks, complete and utter bollocks. When Zola was in charge we played fast, attacking and attractive football and everyone was calling for his head because we were 17th or something, so what people really want is attractive, attacking football and results. Well, good luck with that. There's only like 5 teams who do that and only one of them really win anything. 

Let's look at the options. 

Potter - A free agent whose stock was damaged by his Chelsea spell but whose reputation wasn't damaged by being at Chelsea recently? I judge him on his Brighton spell much more than his Chelsea one, that club seems to be quite dysfunctional at the moment. I think he could give the fans the football they want but I don't know if we'd get the success we want.

Mourinho - This would be a roller coaster. The football would be similar but it would be better. I have no problem with playing low block, counter attacking football. It won Real Madrid titles, champions leagues so the issue is the execution and you know he'd do it well until it crashed and burned. I would give this serial winner a go. The Premier League is better with him in it and bringing him back when Klopp is leaving would be electric but I don't think this is a popular choice. RESPECT, RESPECT. 

Will Still - He's a West Ham fan and famously learned the basics of tactical management on Football Manager. He's currently doing well at Reims, having gone on a long unbeaten streak at some point but he's really unproven and I don't think that we should be recruiting new managers.

Other names mentioned are Xabi Alonso, but come on, he's going to Liverpool, Rafa, but no one wants him, Michael Carrick, but I wouldn't recruit a Championship manager, and a few others.

If we do get rid of him, I'll see you all here in two years when we're 15th and everyone is losing their minds despite us scoring lots. 
    You missed Lampard from that list !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  - Agree no one needs/wants Rafa and I'd say Mourinho's best days are gone - For a while I liked the guy but now just a moaner and best to leave the 'big time' alone

I'm not convinced by Potter but agree he had a good spell at Brighton - What about Steve Cooper - Or Thomas Frank

There has always/often been some issue with a manager 'moving thru' the ranks' from a smaller un-fancied club, then moving on to a bigger club - They can do well where they came from but often struggle to step up above that - Two obvious examples that I always quote are Big Sam at Bolton and Alan Curbishley at Charlton - Both clubs had a good spell with these managers but both clubs and managers have not delivered 'such heights' again since - Potter, Cooper and Frank might all fall under that category if they moved onto the likes of West Ham 

Hard not to be impressed with Gary O'Neil at the moment and I think Ian Foster at Plymouth is one to look out for 
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    The step from where West Ham currently is vs the next step above, which is challenging for Champion League spot is massive at the moment.  We are not talking about 2 strong teams like years past where it was Man United and Arsenal, and then Man United and Chelsea, and then everyone else.  Right now there is City, Arsenal, Liverpool and then we have Villa, Spurs and Man United.  Then it's everyone else.  West Ham sits near the top of this group of teams, and that is not an easy place to hold on to.  Things could very quickly go south and swap places and be where Palace are right now.  They also don't have the financial power required to punch through into that group.  For every Ange Postecoglou success story, there are 10 who crash and Burn(ley).

The other managers available, such as Potter, do not have the experience to take West Ham beyond where they currently are in the table.  Potter never took Brighton or Chelsea into the CL or won any European trophies.  Moyes has done both, he took Everton to 4th place 1 season.

Careful what you wish for, there is something to be said to be securely sitting in the top half of the PL. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • League of Ireland started back last Friday night. A "summer" league :)
    Maybe a lot of you chaps aren't familiar with it but its gone through the roof since covid over here and that's a great thing. Loitv on YT for highlights.
    Delighted to have my weekend games back and fortnightly.match with the father in law and my son. So lucky to have a local game to go to!
    Great breeding ground for up and coming young lads too
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7576
    Moyes and Hodgson are cut from similar cloth I think . They have a method that’s worked for many years and the result is their primary concern.

West Ham fans have over the years for used to a more eye catching style and I wonder whether much like at Palace , it’s more about the style of play than league position.

I didn’t want Roy back last season because the first season under Vieira at Palace was a breath of fresh air - I actually enjoyed watching us play !

Football is an entertainment  business and I reckon if you asked Weat Ham fans whether they would sacrifice a couple of places in the league next year to watch some progressive football they’d be up for that - I certainly would at Palace
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4491
    Moyes and Hodgson are cut from similar cloth I think . They have a method that’s worked for many years and the result is their primary concern.

West Ham fans have over the years for used to a more eye catching style and I wonder whether much like at Palace , it’s more about the style of play than league position.

I didn’t want Roy back last season because the first season under Vieira at Palace was a breath of fresh air - I actually enjoyed watching us play !

Football is an entertainment  business and I reckon if you asked Weat Ham fans whether they would sacrifice a couple of places in the league next year to watch some progressive football they’d be up for that - I certainly would at Palace
    They should have given Vieira more time. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

Yea they say that but when Zola was playing fast attacking football but we were down the other end of the table they were calling for his head.

The move to the London was all about kicking on and becoming a team that would be regularly challenging for Europe and more. We have a rich co-owner who has been investing in the club, we've spent hundreds of millions (although we still need investment in lots of positions, CB, LW, LB, ST), and we have some great attacking players but they're not utilised as well as they could be, even if we are getting some decent results.

I can see why fans are unhappy with this. Big stadium move, investment, big name signings, and we play low block counter attacking football where we often don't counter attack and just get run over, but ultimately whoever is in charge, you have to deliver success and a style of football they enjoy or they'll never be happy.

We could win the Europa League this year and finish 12th and the fans would want him gone.