The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27857
    guitars4you said:

My point was that some players, even when they are still playing, must be displaying potential coaching/management skills
    You're thinking of Frank Lampard again, aren't you?
    ;)

Kompany did a great job last season, rebuilding Burnley post-Dyche and managing them to runaway winners in the Championship.  The limitations of the players within his playing style were exposed this season though.  Would he have been more successful with access to a ManC style chequebook - maybe we'd find out if he goes to Bayern Munich.

Would Pep and his coaching skills have done better at Burnley - with the same players - this season?  We'll never know, but I doubt that he'd have managed to turn them into PL winners without the ManC budget for buying-in ready made players.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12999
    Burnley had a net spend of about £100m last year, putting them in the top half of the "spending table". Let's not create a myth that they had no money. They spent a lot, they just did bugger all with it. 

They had a remarkably piss poor season. I can only assume that the reason Bayern are interested is because he's the only German speaking manager in Europe who is still available or hasn't knocked them back yet. He must be about tenth choice for that job, surely. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 583
    Ipswich and our manager.
    If KM is offered a job at a top club he has no choice.

What does he have to gain by staying at Ipswich? Nothing. However, VK is proving that relegation will not fully dampen your star. 

I hope he stays but am not expecting him to. 
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Injured Veteran and head injury survivor. Bouts of grumpy behavior and brutal humor are to be expected.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Epi LP Custom
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12028
    The only thing Kompany has going for him is that he is a ex-player of Pep, a student of Pep.

Sure he won promotion from the Championship, but he tried to play the same way and failed in the PL big time, The disappointing part to me is that he didn't really change his way until like last 2 months of the season and by that time it was too late to change the momentum.  He didn't adapt to the challenge and tried to brute force his style when it was clear it wasn't working.  I feel like a good manager would concede some footballing principles and try something else way sooner, Pep wouldn't wait 30 games into the season before doing something.

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9969
    FastEddie said:
    Ipswich and our manager.

What does he have to gain by staying at Ipswich? Nothing. However, VK is proving that relegation will not fully dampen your star. 

I suppose they all have different mentalities than us, but going somewhere like Man U or Chelsea is surely only a quick way to make a lot of money when they inevitably sack him after hardly any time at all, then have your record tarnished? I think I'd entertain the idea of going elsewhere to make sure I was valued where I am, then accept the contract at Ipswich in order to prove myself a bit first
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    edited May 24
    FastEddie said:
    Ipswich and our manager.

I suppose they all have different mentalities than us, but going somewhere like Man U or Chelsea is surely only a quick way to make a lot of money when they inevitably sack him after hardly any time at all, then have your record tarnished? I think I'd entertain the idea of going elsewhere to make sure I was valued where I am, then accept the contract at Ipswich in order to prove myself a bit first
    I've often thought the same, and it's most likely that's what would actually happen.  But as you said, it's a different mentality, I think sportspeople, including managers, have a degree of self-belief that the likes of you and I don't.  They all genuinely believe they could play at or manage a top-tier club.  Some are naturally better as big fish in small ponds, or medium-sized fish in medium-sized ponds, but I think it's part of the mindset to believe you're as good as anyone else, despite evidence to the contrary. 
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4686
    If anyone wants a laugh 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c98871rwjwwo

fuck me , as if being relegated wasnt bad enough 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9969
    If anyone wants a laugh 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c98871rwjwwo

fuck me , as if being relegated wasnt bad enough 

What an utterly bizarre move
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14670
    tFB Trader
    Xavi to Chelsea ??????? - IMO a good option for both (and I mean that in a good way)
    tFB Trader
    They don't learn do they - Plymouth interested in Wayne Rooney
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10383
    edited May 24
    Burnley had a net spend of about £100m last year, putting them in the top half of the "spending table". Let's not create a myth that they had no money. They spent a lot, they just did bugger all with it. 

They had a remarkably piss poor season. I can only assume that the reason Bayern are interested is because he's the only German speaking manager in Europe who is still available or hasn't knocked them back yet. He must be about tenth choice for that job, surely. 

£100m to compete with Premier league clubs isn't a lot though when your squad is made up of Championship players. The gulf in quality between Prem and Championship sides is huge.

West Ham spent £400m or something in the last few seasons and we still need new strikers, a LW, CB's, CDM, LB, RB because we still have one of if not the oldest squad in the league. £100m is nothing when you've just come up, which is why it feels so unfair that Forest got penalised for spending to try to compete after coming up. 
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3143

So United vs City in the FA Cup final. I used to love it as kid, Friday night and the 'Who'll win the Cup programme', watching the coverage from about 11am in the morning and witnessing some great matches

United vs Liverpool in 77 a favourite, even better in 79 with Arsenal and United and that last gasp Alan Sunderland goal, and of course Wimbledon in 88. Nothing like the occasion it used to be nowadays.

But still, for the winners it's a great thing to achieve, the losers it's still gutting, and for anybody anywhere who loves football it's still great to have a great competition that can have participants right down to Level 10 of the pyramid.

We really should be more proud of it and push to get it back to where it was.

Can't see United getting anything from the game. Think it will be a comfortable 3-0 to City and although he hasn't been in top form this year I think Haaland may well get a hat-trick. He may well want to go out with a bang with no Euros this summer to help increase his stock. 
    tFB Trader
    @shrews - I agree with you about the old days of the FA Cup - But going back to when I recall many matches in the 70's and even the 80's, then this was almost the only game we had on TV each year - So a big event - The whole build up - Even the draw at 1pm on a Monday (think it was) and either a transistor radio in the play ground or a teacher to give you the update of the next round 

But I have a slight hunch Man U will take it - Yes they have been poor many times this year but equally they have shown some good stuff at times - There is even a small amount of me that wants Man U to win - I'm sure that will change at kick off - But fed up with this winning blue machine - Yes they play some attractive football and Foden is on fire - But the game needs different winners - Would be great to see something like a 3-2 thriller
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1117
    Not sure who I want to win today, hate Utd but City win everything all the time. Just want to see a good game of football, a 4-4 thriller would be nice!
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7307
    Not sure who I want to win today, hate Utd but City win everything all the time. Just want to see a good game of football, a 4-4 thriller would be nice!
    Already city trying to suck the life out of the game so for once I’d like Man Utd to win
    Game's livened up a bit 1-0 Garnacho. Really bad defending though, someone should say "my ball" out of Gvardiol and Ortega.
    2-0. Mainoo. Heat's turning up now.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7307
    What a goal that was ! Where have these players been all season ?
    City have been poor this first half though. Misplaced passes and no cutting edge on the final pass. Utd well deserve their lead.
    edited May 25 tFB Trader
    Going be some comeback !!!!