The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14750
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    Had to smile at this headline ...

It's re Ndombelazygit.

Presumably, "a suitable buyer" means anyone who's not seen him (not) play in the past 4years and has a spare 50p.

Worst buy, ever.
    sounds ideal for Chelsea
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1712
    TTony said:

It's re Ndombelazygit.

Presumably, "a suitable buyer" means anyone who's not seen him (not) play in the past 4years and has a spare 50p.

Worst buy, ever.
    sounds ideal for Chelsea

trade for Gallagher??
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:

It's re Ndombelazygit.

Worst buy, ever.
    sounds ideal for Chelsea

trade for Gallagher??
    Liam or Noel
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27931
    TTony said:

It's re Ndombelazygit.

Worst buy, ever.
    sounds ideal for Chelsea

trade for Gallagher??
    I'd trade Ndombelazygit for Gallagher's boots.

OK, one of his boots.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11421
    TTony said:

It's re Ndombelazygit.

Worst buy, ever.
    sounds ideal for Chelsea

trade for Gallagher??
    Liam or Noel
    I'd take Bronagh Gallagher if it meant getting rid of NDonkey.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9997
    Kompany is confirmed as the new Bayern manager then. Interesting choice though I gather he wasn't exactly top of their wanted list.

His quote on the BBC Sport article amused me:

"My mentality is that I never haven't ever worked for a top club in my head," Kompany said.

Amazing insight
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    Speaking of Spurs, It's being reported that they are "looking at" Morgan Gibbs-White, Callum Hudson-Odoi and Murillo. 

I'd like to report that Spurs can kindly fuck right off. :) 
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    Looks like Dortmund will be financially better off if they loose the CL final to R Madrid,  compared to winning it - Thanks to various payment/bonus perks within the arrangements of the transfer of Bellingham - I assume Brum will get the odd perk as well
    Should pay for their new video boards they've had installed.
    tFB Trader
    Kompany is confirmed as the new Bayern manager then. Interesting choice though I gather he wasn't exactly top of their wanted list.

His quote on the BBC Sport article amused me:

"My mentality is that I never haven't ever worked for a top club in my head," Kompany said.

Amazing insight
    Heard that Pep had spoken highly about him to the BM officials - There must be something in there that we’ve not seen yet
    And Mckenna is staying at Ipswich for now as well, which seems like a good move to me really but who knows in this mad modern game. If theyre bottom after 6 matches then I'm sure the vultures will be back out haha
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c9998gypd7jo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    And Mckenna is staying at Ipswich for now as well, which seems like a good move to me really but who knows in this mad modern game. If theyre bottom after 6 matches then I'm sure the vultures will be back out haha
    I think it is a good move for him to stay as well - him and the team deserve it to show the PL what the EFL has seen 

suspect Leicester will be bottom after 6 games when their points deduction kicks in
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I think it is a good move for him to stay as well - him and the team deserve it to show the PL what the EFL has seen 

suspect Leicester will be bottom after 6 games when their points deduction kicks in
    Yes that's true re Leicester, I keep forgetting about that. No wonder they didn't look like they wanted to get promoted with their run of form. That's going to be a tough one for them especially if they lose their manager
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    edited May 30
    Now that the PL is over for this season and noting the failure of any British clubs to reach, let alone win, any of the European cups on offer, it might be time to assess the standard of football in the PL.

Firstly, looking at the Scottish Premiership, other than the big two, any games I watched on TV were interesting and competitive.  But when the big two, who are much 'better' than the rest, play in Europe, they are shown to be of a much lower standard of football than the European opposition.  The only possible conclusion to be drawn is that Scottish football teams and the Scottish Premiership are of a lower standard than almost every major European league.

The failures of Arsenal, Manchester City, Liverpool and Aston Villa also suggests that PL football is of a lower standard than their equivalents in Europe.  PL matches are very competitive but teams seem more concerned about not losing a match than actually winning it.  One possible reason is that there is too much money in the PL, too much at stake so coaches set up teams to 'not lose' games.  I found the Liverpool -v- Atalanta games and the Aston Villa games to be particularly disappointing.  I expected that both English teams would progress without any serious concerns, yet teams that are nowhere near the top of their respective leagues made top English teams look clueless.

Maybe it is time for British clubs to (slightly) alter their focus and concentrate on going out to win football games.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

tFB Trader
    ^^^^^^^^^ - I can see where you are coming from @rocker but I think it is also a moment in time - It wasn't that long ago we had 2 PL teams in 2 separete CL finals and in recent years LFC, West Ham and Man City have all won European titles

In the last 20 years it is fair to say most PL success in Europe has come from Chelsea, LFC and Man U - Currently Chelsea are trying hard to fail at anything - Man U are just not in the game and LFC had a spell/season that brought them nothing other than the League Cup - So that leaves Man City and Arsenal - Man City are new to Europe and 2 European trophies in over 50 years is hardly a challenge to the top flight status in Europe - I'm sure more will follow in due course - Arsenal's record in Europe is poor, especially when you consider their success at home - 2 European trophies in 54 years again is below par for such a brand 

Plus nice to have new fresh teams in the final Atalanta v Bayer Lev 
    I see that Red Bull have just bought into Leeds United. 

Apparently shirt colours will now change, they're to be called the Leeds Bulls, and Elland Road will now be called the Bull Arena.  No doubt opposing fans will come up with something from that ;) 

And after Derby's promotion into the Championship, we'll have Bulls v Rams next season ... 
    Rocker said:

Maybe it is time for British clubs to (slightly) alter their focus and concentrate on going out to win football games.

The biggest difference I've observed after watching a few European games this season (and I've commented on this before), is that the EPL seems to be obsessed with VAR, and players and referees have largely forgotten that it is - or used to be - a contact sport.

For domestic games, that's fine, everyone's playing to the same mis-interpretation of the rules.

But when English clubs come up against decent foreign sides, with foreign referees adopting a different interpretation, the English sides have not prospered.

Rocker said:
    But when the big two, who are much 'better' than the rest, play in Europe, they are shown to be of a much lower standard of football than the European opposition.  The only possible conclusion to be drawn is that Scottish football teams and the Scottish Premiership are of a lower standard than almost every major European league.

Rangers and Celtic have never been any better than PL strugglers / decent Championship standard sides.  That's not news.
    edited May 30 tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    I see that Red Bull have just bought into Leeds United. 

Apparently shirt colours will now change, they're to be called the Leeds Bulls, and Elland Road will now be called the Bull Arena.  No doubt opposing fans will come up with something from that  

And after Derby's promotion into the Championship, we'll have Bulls v Rams next season ... 
    Still white - They have just signed a high figure to sponsor the shirts after BOXT - No colour change on the 1st team all white kit - Who knows what 2nd and 3rd kit will be - They have purchased a small part of the business and I'm not even sure if that gives them a seat on the board - Where this will go in 3-5 years time then who knows - The 49ers are one of the biggest sport brands, any sport, in the world but we all know that doesn't mean good times - But certainly based on their current sponsorship deal no Red Bull branding comes into play with regards to the stadium and club name - So just the shirt sponsor - However there was Red Bull rumours 2/3 years ago about buying Leeds - So watch this space 

But for now that sponsorship is much needed to keeping funding a potential push for the PL - And hopefully buy Rodon - His face/anguish at the end of the game told a strong story 

Don't we already have Spurs v Bulls in the USA 

See Spence is on his way - Looked potential at Leeds on the pitch but apparently a knob head of it 
    edited May 30

See Spence is on his way - Looked potential at Leeds on the pitch but apparently a knob head of it 
    I've heard similar.  Apparently another of those players with the skill, but not the attitude.

I'd not be surprised to see 6-10 players leaving Spurs' squad this window.

Well, OK, I'd not be surprised to see 5-9 players leave, but I'd be absolutely amazed if there's anyone daft enough to take Ndombelazygit.  

[edit]
    Spence
    Rodon
    Reguilon
    Dier (who, I believe is technically "on loan" at BM, but they've triggered the buy clause)
    Tanganga
    One of the reserve goalies
    Sessegnon (if anyone else has got such a comfortable treatment room)
    Gil
    Emerson Royal
    Solomon
    Hojbjerg

That's actually 11.  And almost every position covered!

And Ndombelazygit.
    edited May 30 tFB Trader
    TTony said:

I've heard similar.  Apparently another of those players with the skill, but not the attitude.
    There  was a few rumours of issues in training -  Especially turning up late on a regular basis - But the nail in the coffin was when he refused to visit the children’s ward of the local hospital, at Christmas, with other players 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11421
    Sessegnon's been released. Shame, but he was made of Weetabix.

Gil has to go, we've had mascots bigger than him.