Glastonbury 2022 - 50th anniversary

What's Hot

Comments

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7208
    Supergrass killing it 
    @DrCornelius - would you have any idea on the black Gibson model that Gaz was playing on Richard III, Moving etc ?

Forgive my ignorance if it is obvious - I know jack s@@t about Gibson other than LP and SG shapes.
    Sorry I’m no authority but I reckon @StHubbins has probably played it .

Is it a 345 or something Nick ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited June 2022
    Philtre said:
    Philtre said:
    Tuning in to Khruangbin in a min...
    For some reason, not coming across very strongly.

Getting better now. The BBC mix isn't great though. They do realise that the guitar is the focal point ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2589
    Philly_Q said:
    So much good stuff there. The highlights for me would be Jamie T, St Vincent, Wet Leg, Billie Eilish, AJ Tracey, Four Tet, Primal Scream, Ziggy, Wolf Alice, Andy C, Macca, Noel, Kendrick Lamaar, Sleaford Mods, Bonobo, Kurupt FM. Loads! 

The only problem is how to see them all!

People who look at a lineup like they have at Glasto every year and can't see anything from a lineup that has everything from metal to jazz to blues to electro to hip hop to lofi and everything in between , and don't think they'll find music to enjoy, I mean... do they even listen to music?

I'm seeing the Stones tomorrow so that more than makes up for not going but I'm definitely going to try again next year. 
    Personally I think there are too many different styles, spread too thin.  The whole thing is just too big, too many acts, too many stages, too many distractions.  Fine if you like hanging out in the sunshine with tens of thousands of people, wandering around, getting pissed, getting stoned, making friends, doing whatever takes your fancy - I do realise many, many people love all that, but it's not for me.  Yeah, I know, I'm the forum miseryguts.
    I agree. Although I've limited first hand experience. My daughter goes to a lot more and has been to Glastonbury a few times - she found it difficult to get around because of its size, so difficult to see the bands she wanted to see. Smaller, more focused, possibly works better.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    CaseOfAce said:
    So far just underlines for me what a massive BLACK HOLE exists on terrestrial TV in UK for mainstream music right now and how poorly it is served.

What we've got is  Jools Holland but other than that...? (don't even mention X-Factor).

no wonder new music can't break thru to a wider audience.
    There's NO means to do so. 

REALLY, REALLY need a mainstream prime time music show - primetime BBC1 - just give us a weekly half an hour  perhaps...this is who is new / hits etc... - yeah I know I'm talking TOTP ain't I ...but daaayyyummm ... what a gaping chasm this is in mainstream broadcasting at the moment.
    Surely you can squeeze it in between Eastenders and Repair Shop FFS...

Just heard Sigrid - Sucker Punch.... that's fu*ckin ace...never even knew it existed till tonight...
    Having still got the last few friends clinging to jobs at Auntie Beeb, zero chance. Thank goodness for "BBC introducing" through local radio, which will soon be gone when it is consumed by the wide corporate agenda.
  • mikeneticmikenetic Frets: 70
    Thought Alison Krauss & Robert Plant were excellent, and really enjoyed Sigrid's set too. Wet Leg were fun, and they looked like they were having a lot of fun too. Wolf Alice seemed slightly in shock that they made it at all, but it sounded like a decent set, although it would've been nice for the vocals to be higher in the mix.

I love St. Vincent's recorded material, but this performance is leaving me a bit cold. She's a fabulous musician, but the set just isn't hanging together for me.
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1243
    Watching on terrestrial. Anyone else think wet leg were just hyper cool?
    Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 1953
    Don't get Khruangbin at all... *thumbs down*
  • Loving Khruangbin.... perfect band for Glasto
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Schnozz said:
    It is a bit like second act on at an open mic night tbh. I really tried to like it, stuck with it but it's basically a below average jam in silly clothes. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7111
    Schnozz said:
    oh no I like them
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22999
    CaseOfAce said:
    So far just underlines for me what a massive BLACK HOLE exists on terrestrial TV in UK for mainstream music right now and how poorly it is served.

What we've got is  Jools Holland but other than that...? (don't even mention X-Factor).

REALLY, REALLY need a mainstream prime time music show - primetime BBC1 - just give us a weekly half an hour  perhaps...this is who is new / hits etc... - yeah I know I'm talking TOTP ain't I ...but daaayyyummm ... what a gaping chasm this is in mainstream broadcasting at the moment.

Just heard Sigrid - Sucker Punch.... that's fu*ckin ace...never even knew it existed till tonight...
    I realise you're talking specifically about TV, but what about Spotify and (presumably) other streaming services?  I've listened to far more new music in the last 10 years than I probably did in the previous 20, just from following the "fans also like" links, doing a bit of research through Bandcamp, etc.  There's tons of music out there.

There'll never be a mainstream prime time music show, ever again.  There's no audience for it because there's essentially no audience for "live" TV.  It's not a shared experience any more.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22999
    Supergrass killing it 
    @DrCornelius - would you have any idea on the black Gibson model that Gaz was playing on Richard III, Moving etc ?

Forgive my ignorance if it is obvious - I know jack s@@t about Gibson other than LP and SG shapes.
    I missed some of it but definitely saw him with a black 335.
    It looks like a 335 to me.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2589
    ewal said:
    Philly_Q said:
    So much good stuff there. The highlights for me would be Jamie T, St Vincent, Wet Leg, Billie Eilish, AJ Tracey, Four Tet, Primal Scream, Ziggy, Wolf Alice, Andy C, Macca, Noel, Kendrick Lamaar, Sleaford Mods, Bonobo, Kurupt FM. Loads! 

People who look at a lineup like they have at Glasto every year and can't see anything from a lineup that has everything from metal to jazz to blues to electro to hip hop to lofi and everything in between , and don't think they'll find music to enjoy, I mean... do they even listen to music?

I'm seeing the Stones tomorrow so that more than makes up for not going but I'm definitely going to try again next year. 
    Personally I think there are too many different styles, spread too thin.  The whole thing is just too big, too many acts, too many stages, too many distractions.  Fine if you like hanging out in the sunshine with tens of thousands of people, wandering around, getting pissed, getting stoned, making friends, doing whatever takes your fancy - I do realise many, many people love all that, but it's not for me.  Yeah, I know, I'm the forum miseryguts.
    I agree. Although I've limited first hand experience. My daughter goes to a lot more and has been to Glastonbury a few times - she found it difficult to get around because of its size, so difficult to see the bands she wanted to see. Smaller, more focused, possibly works better.
    And then there's the bitter, twisted and jealousy factor - watching Glastonbury is a knife in the guts because of my current lack of band activity.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    Philly_Q said:
    CaseOfAce said:

I realise you're talking specifically about TV, but what about Spotify and (presumably) other streaming services?  I've listened to far more new music in the last 10 years than I probably did in the previous 20, just from following the "fans also like" links, doing a bit of research through Bandcamp, etc.  There's tons of music out there.

There'll never be a mainstream prime time music show, ever again.  There's no audience for it because there's essentially no audience for "live" TV.  It's not a shared experience any more.
    Also, there a no options to gamble anymore with prime time TV.  Always going to go after the lowest hanging fruit in terms of audience recognition of the artist ( unless it can be wrapped up in faux emotional angst and the drama of the "journey" )

How I miss the Whistle Test, old fart ( but still part of the music industry ) that I am.
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2643
    I love Khruangbin. I don't know if this mix is serving them that well, but it's not terrible compared to some career-wrecking mixes I've heard. They certainly make a huge sound considering they're a trio, sort of space rock you can dance to. 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10258

S56035 said:
    What metal isTeleMaster said:

Can you point me at the metal? 

Or the blues? 

Just because there's no big name blues or metal band high up the bill this year it doesn't mean that there has never been blues or metal there, or that there won't be blues or metal on one of the 100 stages they have there. I saw Metallica there. Metal enough for you? I saw BB King there. Blues enough for you? 

If you'd go, or if you'd have been, you'd see that they have literally every style of music there. You can walk into one of the popup pubs they have and find a hardcore band, or a blues band playing. And there are like a thousand bands, I don't know them all but there absolutely will be metal, punk, hardcore, blues, jazz, etc there. 

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10258
    ewal said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Been many times. It's fine. Just watch what you want, resign yourself to not being able to see everything, and enjoy what you're watching at the time.

Also, if you don't want to see bands and just want to chill in the green fields, do that.
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    Foals are simply fucking brilliant live! Yannis blazing a trail for chubby hairy men everywhere :-) 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4174
    I liked Wolf Alice. Strong stuff there.
    ewal said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Been many times. It's fine. Just watch what you want, resign yourself to not being able to see everything, and enjoy what you're watching at the time.

Also, if you don't want to see bands and just want to chill in the green fields, do that.
    I know quite a few folks who go every year, who, if it someone really on their bucket list, they will head to see. Otherwise, they meet with friends, eat, drink and wander into the fringe of the event. Strangely, most of them work in the arts ( most in the music industry ).