Glastonbury 2022 - 50th anniversary

What's Hot
1161718192022»

Comments

• AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 477
    Gassage said:
    I really recommend Sigrid as per another poster a few pages back. High energy straight out of the gate, great voice, no pretentiousness. Band are tight too. A few flashy bits from the guitarist on a strat in the first couple of songs too which I wasn't expecting.

New fan!
    FYI- Alex and Geddy are playing 2112 at the Taylor Hawkins gig.
    Yes! Guaranteed Grohl will be on drums. Did you get tickets? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2606
    edited June 2022

Danny1969 said:
    I thought the vocals were a little too far back in the mix on a few bands I saw. Macca, Wet Leg and quite a few others. Might just be my ears getting old though after too many loud gigs. The rest of it sounded good, especially the drums. 
    I was putting some of that down to some artists (Diana Ross, Macca) deliberately trying not to expose voices they knew weren't in great shape.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10430
    edited June 2022

Danny1969 said:
    I thought the vocals were a little too far back in the mix on a few bands I saw. Macca, Wet Leg and quite a few others. Might just be my ears getting old though after too many loud gigs. The rest of it sounded good, especially the drums. 
    I was putting some of that down to some artists (Diana Ross, Macca) deliberately trying not to expose voices they knew weren't in great shape.

Yeah I can understand that but it seemed overall to me to several bands including up and coming like Wet Leg.

I imagine the likes of Macca have quite a say in the broadcast mix but generally the broadcast mix is entirely spererate from the FOH mix and handled by BBC engineers .. not the bands own FOH engineer although they will be there to give guidance. This helps with a consistent kind of mix over the whole broadcast which to be fair is pretty well done  ... but I do feel the vocals were a little polite ... would have expected them 3 or 4dB up than they were. 

Can't see anyone else complaining though so might just be be me
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4559
    I'm sure when we bought tickets in 2010 we didn't know the line up at the time.. is that still the case? I'm thinking not with that many Olivia Rodriguez and Kendrick Lamar fans in the crowds this year..
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6704
    I was wondering about "a new world record" of Paul McCartney as the oldest solo artist on the Pyramid Stage....
    He was born in 1942. Herbie Hancock was born in 1940. 

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2296

Honestly though I think watching live music on telly is fundamentally always bit boring...I never have the telly up to gig volume, I don't have a massive PA in the living room either. I also think live music is enhanced considerably by being done in the dark. Daytime shows are always a bit underwhelming. 
    I get you. I watch selected  sets at night on my studio monitor on iPlayer in my studio with the full monitors up close up. A bit more immersive and I can get into it. 
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1962
    edited June 2022
    Danny1969 said:

Danny1969 said:

Yeah I can understand that but it seemed overall to me to several bands including up and coming like Wet Leg.

I imagine the likes of Macca have quite a say in the broadcast mix but generally the broadcast mix is entirely spererate from the FOH mix and handled by BBC engineers .. not the bands own FOH engineer although they will be there to give guidance. This helps with a consistent kind of mix over the whole broadcast which to be fair is pretty well done  ... but I do feel the vocals were a little polite ... would have expected them 3 or 4dB up than they were. 

Can't see anyone else complaining though so might just be be me
    I doubt whether much of the mixing was by BBC staff, its years since I worked there but I don't think they have the capacity to cover such a large event "in house" nowadays.
    The last Glastonbury used OB Trucks from Arena TV who subsequently went "pop" with financial shenanigans. This year I think it was Timeline TV who were involved - probably others as well.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 988
    DesVegas said:
    I'm sure when we bought tickets in 2010 we didn't know the line up at the time.. is that still the case? I'm thinking not with that many Olivia Rodriguez and Kendrick Lamar fans in the crowds this year..
    Yeah I’m sure @DesVegas that it’s still the case. You pre-register so that you have the ability to buy tickets when they go on sale so far ahead of the event (in October) that there is no way of knowing who will play. Only internet rumours. 

“ Traditionally, the first round of tickets go on sale in October the year before the festival, with a resale of unwanted tickets in March of the year that it is happening.” Source: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/glastonbury-tickets-2023-festival-114849259.html
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2022
    Thanks duo x.  I suppose there's plenty of time from October to June to learn the words and get hyped about the bands then.. we truly lucked out by getting LCD soundsystem and Mgmt the same afternoon. The dead weather the day before 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9821
    edited June 2022
    rze99 said:

Honestly though I think watching live music on telly is fundamentally always bit boring...I never have the telly up to gig volume, I don't have a massive PA in the living room either. I also think live music is enhanced considerably by being done in the dark. Daytime shows are always a bit underwhelming. 
    I get you. I watch selected  sets at night on my studio monitor on iPlayer in my studio with the full monitors up close up. A bit more immersive and I can get into it. 
    On the other hand there are those of us who much prefer live music at surround sound tv volume, without knobheads pushing past you, spilling drinks on you, and at a volume that you can hear the whole mix without it just being bass or drums
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6896
    rze99 said:

On the other hand there are those of us who much prefer live music at surround sound tv volume, without knobheads pushing past you, spilling drinks on you, and at a volume that you can hear the whole mix without it just being bass or drums
    And the knobheads sat on shoulders and waving flags that mean all you see is flags and the back of people!!,! Grrr. I don’t want to see a shit circus balancing act I want to see the band…….that’s aimed at the fat Jamie Oliver lookalike that was at the London Calling Aerosmith gig many years ago!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2296

Just watched Crowded House again. Wonderful.
    Only Paul McCartney can do a set of equal or better self-penned songs.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9702
    Just watched the Robert Plant / Alison Krauss set. Brilliant. Ok, I know he’s a few years younger than Diana Ross, but he didn’t miss a note, can still carry a tune, and him and Krauss have voices that blend beautifully. Excellent stuff.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Robert Plant was the best thing I saw so far
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3592
    As a Snarky Puppy fan...felt their set was pretty dull. The last three albums have been pretty formulaic.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11800
    mrkb said:
    rze99 said:

And the knobheads sat on shoulders and waving flags that mean all you see is flags and the back of people!!,! Grrr. I don’t want to see a shit circus balancing act I want to see the band…….that’s aimed at the fat Jamie Oliver lookalike that was at the London Calling Aerosmith gig many years ago!

The important thing is, you aren't bearing a grudge.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6896
    edited July 2022
    mrkb said:
    rze99 said:

The important thing is, you aren't bearing a grudge.
    Apart from totally boycotting Jamie Oliver products because of something a vague look alike did,  I have moved on!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2643
    It's only when I'm at a gig I remember how uncomfortable and annoying they can be. Can there be so many blokes 6' 5" or more in height, and why do they have to stand directly in front of me? (I'm not a short person, by any means. Although she loves music, my wife's given up on gigs unless they're the seated kind because there's literally no point and she'll see literally nothing.) 

That said, I do occasionally go to gigs by myself, and it only just struck me that all those times I was too self-conscious to dance around like an idiot (which I still love to do), there was no need as all these people a. have no idea who I am; b. have never seen me before; c. will never see me again; d. almost certainly think I'm a complete twat anyway, no matter how still I stand, as I'm sure they're excellent judges of character. 

An actual festival is literally my idea of hell. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12387
    I’ve got a mate who’s 6’8” (oooh poetry!) but at least he tries to keep out of the way. I don’t actually like going to big gigs anymore nowadays anyway, there’s too many twats around to spoil things, let alone the stupid ticket prices.