Glastonbury 2022 - 50th anniversary

What's Hot

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6835
    tone1 said:
    I’m was enjoying crowded house until the screaming started….. :#
    mattdavis said:
    I think that kid was Neil Finn’s grandson (Neil Finn’s son was the other guitarist)

Can you imagine the stick he'll get as he grows up. Think of the therapist bills. Poor little sod.....cute though. 

Reminded me of this guy....only more Yoko

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6183
    There seem to be more solitary artists on the big stages this time, maybe with a couple of backing types. I'm not sure that they can really command an audience in the way that a band will. Prime example, Pet Shop Boys. The first few numbers with Neil alone was straight karaoke and numbers from their 80's prime didn't fare very well, esp tunes from Actually, which were pretty much carbon copies but with a modern dance bottom end, which stripped the songs of their charm imo. Was it Ed Sheeran who was the first solo artist? He made a decent fist of it but it lacked the excitement of a full band cranking out the numbers.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23752
    Philly_Q said:
    Have Robert Plant and Alison Krauss played Glastonbury before, quite recently?  I watched a bit of their set and it seemed like deja vu... maybe the previous occasion was Plant on his own, but playing very similar material.
    He had a televised festival set from somewhere else. Obviously pre Covid but within the last few years. Not Glastonbury I think. 
    Must be that then, but I can't think what festival it was.  Looked like they were playing in a tent, if I remember right.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3454
    I watched some stuff and like others found it a bit tedious. I did like St Vincent, but they took a while to warm up. Can't say anything else kept my interest.

Honestly though I think watching live music on telly is fundamentally always bit boring...I never have the telly up to gig volume, I don't have a massive PA in the living room either. I also think live music is enhanced considerably by being done in the dark. Daytime shows are always a bit underwhelming. 
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1160
    Question on gear. I saw Skin from Skunk Anansie using a black guitar but I couldn't catch the brand on the headstock. Luso..... or Oluso or something.
    Any ideas? I can't find anything on the web.
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1259

tone1 said:
    I’m was enjoying crowded house until the screaming started….. :#
    mattdavis said:
    I think that kid was Neil Finn’s grandson (Neil Finn’s son was the other guitarist)

What was all that bit about?  I'd be very pissed if I'd paid to see a band and they just role out one of the kids to ruin a song.  Would have been totally awesome if he'd been able to play an instrument or try and sing along but just screaming is pointless.  Any idea what it was about, if any thing? 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6835
    edited June 2022
    S56035 said:

tone1 said:
    I’m was enjoying crowded house until the screaming started…..
    mattdavis said:

What was all that bit about?  I'd be very pissed if I'd paid to see a band and they just role out one of the kids to ruin a song.  Would have been totally awesome if he'd been able to play an instrument or try and sing along but just screaming is pointless.  Any idea what it was about, if any thing? 
    Aren't most people at Blastongury too shit faced to care or have any critical faculties left?
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10607
    I thought the vocals were a little too far back in the mix on a few bands I saw. Macca, Wet Leg and quite a few others. Might just be my ears getting old though after too many loud gigs. The rest of it sounded good, especially the drums. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 634
    edited June 2022
    Just watching Macca, he is simply a living legend.......brilliant
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5606
    Question on gear. I saw Skin from Skunk Anansie using a black guitar but I couldn't catch the brand on the headstock. Luso..... or Oluso or something.
    I mentioned this on the Glasto guitars thread. The headstock was the same shape as Harley Benton but it wasn't an HB logo.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16428
    edited June 2022
    DiscoStu said:
    I mentioned this on the Glasto guitars thread. The headstock was the same shape as Harley Benton but it wasn't an HB logo.
    She has been using an Alusonic according to some deep googling. Chambered wood body with an aluminium top.

Edit:after a quick look on iPlayer I think I’m right. And I think it’s an Alusonic bass as well. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3720
    exocet said:
    Greatape said:
    exocet said:
    rsvmark said:
    No Mark Letteri in Snarky Puppy?
    Most of the band is comprised of musicians who drop in and out of the lineup on a tour by tour basis. Michael League is pretty much the only constant. 
    Who was playing? Lanzetti? Much prefer him in that band.
    I think it was Chris McQueen. I haven't watched the full set yet because "the wife doesn't appreciate jazz".... :)
    No, having just watched, that's Bob Lanzetti.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    I think my fav moment that I’ve watched is Sam Fender when the crowd are still singing Seventeen Going Under after the song ends and he joins back in. What a moment for a song that was only written last year. It’s like an edgy Hey Jude! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    dindude said:
    I think my fav moment that I’ve watched is Sam Fender when the crowd are still singing Seventeen Going Under after the song ends and he joins back in. What a moment for a song that was only written last year. It’s like an edgy Hey Jude! 
    Agree. That whole set was brilliant but that was a beautiful moment. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1024
    Danny1969 said:
    I thought the vocals were a little too far back in the mix on a few bands I saw. Macca, Wet Leg and quite a few others. Might just be my ears getting old though after too many loud gigs. The rest of it sounded good, especially the drums. 
    I agree @Danny1969 ;
    I found myself turning up the volume when I was checking out various bands, just to be able to hear the vocals clearly. Which meant the instruments were really blasting out by then. Like you said, it seemed like a common problem throughout the various sets.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27850
    edited June 2022
    mattdavis said:
    dindude said:
    Agree. That whole set was brilliant but that was a beautiful moment. 
    Yep. The guy’s an absolute star, and seem like a great bloke. 

A relatively new act with a full band playing just before sunset on the Pyramid stage, full of guitars and drums and horns and every single person in that field singing along to every word of a song that only came out last year. 

All is not lost.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1160
    DiscoStu said:
    She has been using an Alusonic according to some deep googling. Chambered wood body with an aluminium top.

Edit:after a quick look on iPlayer I think I’m right. And I think it’s an Alusonic bass as well. 
    Yes, thanks @EricTheWeary ;

https://www.alusonic.com/hybrid-guitar-t90skin.php

Nice looking instruments, would love to try one
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 484
    I really recommend Sigrid as per another poster a few pages back. High energy straight out of the gate, great voice, no pretentiousness. Band are tight too. A few flashy bits from the guitarist on a strat in the first couple of songs too which I wasn't expecting.

New fan!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31204
    I really recommend Sigrid as per another poster a few pages back. High energy straight out of the gate, great voice, no pretentiousness. Band are tight too. A few flashy bits from the guitarist on a strat in the first couple of songs too which I wasn't expecting.

New fan!
    FYI- Alex and Geddy are playing 2112 at the Taylor Hawkins gig.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    Jack White set is brilliant, my fave by far from iPlayer - the crowd outside The Park arena and all the way up the hill.  He nailed it from the bonkers fuzz orgy entrance. Wish I'd seen it in person.

And all that guitar oddity & mental fuzz - lapped it up !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback