Glastonbury 2022 - 50th anniversary

What's Hot

Comments

• ewalewal Frets: 2612
    I just watched a few of the songs on iplayer.  Jeez if I knew I only needed to be able to play 4 chords to get to Glastonbury id have stopped practicing when I was 12.
    I don't think I've ever knowingly practiced and I got to Reading haha. You can make decent music without being technically that proficient.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    Still hoping that more of the acts I wanted to will pop up on iPlayer. Hmmm…

In the meantime Gabriels is a nice surprise. Not a guitar in sight (guitar amps but I think they must be for the violin). Sort of jazz-soul-torchsong thing going on. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18991
    Thank goodness for alternative BBC tv streams, phew!
    Oh wait... Kendrick ' just call me Christ' Lamarr on the other channel.
    Fuck this for a game of soldiers...
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1144
    Roisin Murphy set is mesmerising. Great stage entrance for TV, then the mad outfits and wacky dancing. Not my kind of music but I'm struggling to switch off. She's my kind of mad lass - harmless but batshit crazy when the music takes hold.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1987
    Just turned on for the last headline act. Did Lamar just sing a track called I Love Myself? Every other word between songs he seems to use the Mother****r word which is deeply offensive. He's rapping to backing tracks so it's just profanity karaoke. Is this entertainment. IMO it isn't. 3 years to prepare for this Glastonbury and it's the worst one I can remember (and there have been some bad ones) but nowhere near this bad. I think it's outgrown its remit and it's had its day. Just my opinion of course. I've been to a few but I doubt I'll go to another and glad I didn't waste 350 on this one. YMMV

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11886
    ewal said:
    Philtre said:
    My favourite moment:

Yes. It was all far too nice given how fucked everything is. Could do with a bit more anger, protest and rebellion.
    That's wonderful.

It's like the old cunts are trying to do as much damage as they possibly can before they die.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 369
    I’d love to see Alice Cooper do Glastonbury, I saw him a couple of years back and he and his band were stunning 
    icu81b4 said:
    I’d love to see Alice Cooper do Glastonbury, I saw him a couple of years back and he and his band were stunning 
    Extremely obvious candidate for Sunday afternoon slot, wouldn't be surprised if that's booked up for a few years behind the scenes.
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 943
    Gotta say it was more like the Radio 1 roadshow, most of them will be doing the party in the park circuit during the summer.
    Quite boring and flat for me apart from the Idles and Amyl and the sniffers.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I just watched a few of the songs on iplayer.  Jeez if I knew I only needed to be able to play 4 chords to get to Glastonbury id have stopped practicing when I was 12.
    Worked for Ed Sheeran. This time next year you could be a millionaire. 

Ian

Thank goodness for alternative BBC tv streams, phew!
    Oh wait... Kendrick ' just call me Christ' Lamarr on the other channel.
    Fuck this for a game of soldiers...
    Do you think if somebody called him a motherfucking nigga whore he'd find it offensive? So much wrong with this genre of music that's not music. 

Ian

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23111
    I'm watching McCartney's set, now that it's on iPlayer.  I think he's pretty amazing for an 80-year-old, and his voice is nowhere near as bad as I expected... highly professional band, too.  But it does feel a little lifeless, and very flat when he talks between songs... I've just been listening to a very dull anecdote about Jimi Hendrix and a Bigsby.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27691
    Devil#20 said:
     Is this entertainment. IMO it isn't. 3 years to prepare for this Glastonbury and it's the worst one I can remember (and there have been some bad ones) but nowhere near this bad. I think it's outgrown its remit and it's had its day. Just my opinion of course. I've been to a few but I doubt I'll go to another and glad I didn't waste 350 on this one. YMMV
    I wondered how many of the acts were booked 3 years ago (McCartney,  Diana Ross) when they might *just* have been able to manage a show, and the bookings were just carried forward to 3 years later when they couldn't quite manage a show.

I lost count of how many times Diana Ross yelled out "sing this for with me" in the 10-odd minutes I watched before giving up.

And that old tradition of "singing in tune" seems to be option nowadays.  Is that because they rely on a lot of studio editing, or is it because the on-stage sound at Glastonbury is too bad?

Disappointing really.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    Philly_Q said:
     I've just been listening to a very dull anecdote about Jimi Hendrix and a Bigsby.
    I loved Maccas old man stories, was half expecting him to say he had an onion on his belt, which was the style at the time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9741
    Diana Ross = Dross.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1384
    No Mark Letteri in Snarky Puppy?
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1967
    rsvmark said:
    No Mark Letteri in Snarky Puppy?
    Most of the band is comprised of musicians who drop in and out of the lineup on a tour by tour basis. Michael League is pretty much the only constant. 
    edited June 2022
    Devil#20 said:
    Do you think if somebody called him a motherfucking n**** whore he'd find it offensive? So much wrong with this genre of music that's not music. 

OK, somebody needs to make these points...

1.  If, as I assume, you are a middle-aged white guy, it is NOT OK to use the N-word, I'm not going to flag it but it is not cool and IMHO you should edit it.

2.  As it happens, I don't like him either, but that doesn't mean it's "not music".  The last batch of black music we appropriated you like, the new batch we haven't appropriated yet you don't, that's cool, honestly, I don't like it either, but clearly many thousands of people do, so I couldn't say it's "not music".

3.  I personally think when the world is how it is, with all the terrible things that happen, getting offended by naughty words is a waste of energy, but anyhow, just because you were offended it doesn't mean anyone did anything wrong, we are heading way too much down that sinister road.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14376
    tFB Trader
    HAL9000 said:
    Diana Ross = Dross.
    A polite way of saying what I thought - I've only seen a few hi-lights (think that is the wrong word somehow)

She was not even the best singer in the Supremes - But give her credit, she has mastered the art of living of the back of talented writers, producers, musicians and  a host of great songs 

You might not like their songs/styles but at least Divas like Mariah and Whitney can sing 

But that was dull on all levels - no stage presence, poor singing, no charisma - But a great band 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    Kids today, eh? Can't hear the words, sing out of tune, only play 3 chords. And they should get their bloody hair cut.

Wait...that's the oldies.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom