Glastonbury 2022 - 50th anniversary

What's Hot

Comments

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1101
    edited June 2022
    Any thoughts then from our armchairs?

Thought it was nice to have it on iPlayer but pretty boring overall. The good people were generally good. But the majority very boring. I didn't think much of the headliners really. Macca is on a different level of course but even he went on a bit for me. Crowded House were my favorite watch but I think they had the benefit of being on Friday because by Sunday I was done. Didn't even bother with Jack White. Overall Glastonbury is the usual shite but nice to dip in here and there. I will probably check out some more sets over the coming days and weeks.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9879
    Bluebeard said:
    They didn't stream Brass Against on iPlayer. Maybe BBC were worried someone might get pissed on
    Through the brass instruments' spit valves?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11885
    Gassage said:
    Devil#20 said:
    I think you misunderstood me. If you think "getting offended by naughty words is a waste of energy" then I agree but in that case why did you decide to redact it? I'm not particularly offended but I could see many people would be. 
    Just to be 100% clear on the words issue, we may or may not disagree!

I didn't redact the word "motherfucker" because I thing it's just a swear and nothing to get offended about.  As to whether KL would be upset if you called him one, I don't know.  If you called me one out of the blue, I'd probably just call you something equally rude back, and I doubt we would fall out about it.

Would he be upset if you called him the N word?  Yes, you shouldn't be using it.  That isn't getting upset over a word, it's getting upset over the history behind the word and it's cultural significance today, which is different, you shouldn't use it and neither should I, hence redacting it, and my opinion you should edit your original post to redact it.

The word nigga has essentially been reclaimed by the black community (as opposed to the world nigger, which has not- modmins- I spell this out for absolute clarity) and it's absolutely acceptable for the community to use this in self reference, but not for those outside to use in a perjorative context.

Interesting diversion on etymology aside - the middled aged white folks of the Fretboard shouldn't be using it, certainly not in the context of a criticism of the language used by a black rapper.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30948
    Gassage said:
    Devil#20 said:
    I think you misunderstood me. If you think "getting offended by naughty words is a waste of energy" then I agree but in that case why did you decide to redact it? I'm not particularly offended but I could see many people would be. 

I didn't redact the word "motherfucker" because I thing it's just a swear and nothing to get offended about.  As to whether KL would be upset if you called him one, I don't know.  If you called me one out of the blue, I'd probably just call you something equally rude back, and I doubt we would fall out about it.

Would he be upset if you called him the N word?  Yes, you shouldn't be using it.  That isn't getting upset over a word, it's getting upset over the history behind the word and it's cultural significance today, which is different, you shouldn't use it and neither should I, hence redacting it, and my opinion you should edit your original post to redact it.

The word nigga has essentially been reclaimed by the black community (as opposed to the world nigger, which has not- modmins- I spell this out for absolute clarity) and it's absolutely acceptable for the community to use this in self reference, but not for those outside to use in a perjorative context.

Interesting diversion on etymology aside - the middled aged white folks of the Fretboard shouldn't be using it, certainly not in the context of a criticism of the language used by a black rapper.

I agree with the bolded bit, but I don't agree re middle aged white folk as that's also quite discriminatory in itself

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1517
    I find it laughable that the performers on a festival that has been “sponsored” by Greenpeace and makes huge donations to it in turn, shouldn’t be political. 

Or generally that musicians shouldn’t be. 

Must be nice to think poverty, classism, misogyny or racism is something you can just escape or opt out of. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12427
    LPManic said:
    Any thoughts then from our armchairs?

Thought it was nice to have it on iPlayer but pretty boring overall. The good people were generally good. But the majority very boring. I didn't think much of the headliners really. Macca is on a different level of course but even he went on a bit for me. Crowded House were my favorite watch but I think they had the benefit of being on Friday because by Sunday I was done. Didn't even bother with Jack White. Overall Glastonbury is the usual shite but nice to dip in here and there. I will probably check out some more sets over the coming days and weeks.
    I found it all pretty boring to be honest. Too much emphasis on safe, tried and trusted pop artists like Elbow, Pet Shop Boys etc etc… it’s like the 2022 version of the Val Doonican show. Where was the rock stuff? Why do they never have any metal? I normally pick up a few new bands I like but there was nothing for me this time. Dull as ditchwater the whole thing. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:
    Gassage said:
    Devil#20 said:

I agree with the bolded bit, but I don't agree re middle aged white folk as that's also quite discriminatory in itself
    Right, OK this is getting dumb, this is not P&E.

@digitalscream or any other modmin - please can you lay down the law one way or another about whether it's acceptable to use either variation of the N-word in the context that Devil#20 used it, the context Gassage used it, or any other on the Fretboard.  I appreciate I've also quoted it.

I don't think it should be used at all, but it's your party and your carpet.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mattacjonesmattacjones Frets: 507
    I thought Macca's performance was astonishing given his advanced years
  • BlueStratBlueStrat Frets: 966
    Loved Wolf Alice, St Vincent, Phoebe Bridgers, Jack White and Macca. 
    Will catch up with some bands I’m not familiar with over the week. 
    I’d like to see a bit more rock and metal though
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4324
    edited June 2022
    Was nice to have it on again. 

I mainly found that I liked who I thought I’d like.

I enjoyed seeing people I’d never heard before like Idles and St Vincent. I hadn’t heard Robert Plant and Alison Krauss before. I enjoyed their set. 

I had never seen Jack White play live before so enjoyed that. Pretty tight band, technical issues aside. 

As a whole, I’d rather have it on, than not. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1028
    Philtre said:
    Kids today, eh? Can't hear the words, sing out of tune, only play 3 chords. And they should get their bloody hair cut.

Wait...that's the oldies.
    Not a QUO fan then ?
    “Ken sent me.”
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    Bluebeard said:
    They didn't stream Brass Against on iPlayer. Maybe BBC were worried someone might get pissed on
    Gosh yes another disappointingly not on the coverage. I have seen them live and there was no pissing.

The main BBC coverage perhaps understandably featuring the big names and the hip names. There is more depth at the festival and some of that is on iPlayer and some of it isn't. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 988
    I watched some of Jamie T's set last night. Thought he played really well and good to see him back. I'd seen him play a couple of songs on Jools Holland recently and him and the band didn't seem that in to it (nervous maybe? Or just weird playing on TV). Much better at Glastonbury. Also a weird bit where this random bloke wandered across the stage, he looked like a backpacker? Going to watch the rest tonight. 

Other than that I've enjoyed some of the other stuff but nothing I've loved. Nice to see the coverage goes to some of the smaller stages as well now. 

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26755
    Right, OK this is getting dumb, this is not P&E.

@digitalscream or any other modmin - please can you lay down the law one way or another about whether it's acceptable to use either variation of the N-word in the context that Devil#20 used it, the context Gassage used it, or any other on the Fretboard.  I appreciate I've also quoted it.

I don't think it should be used at all, but it's your party and your carpet.

It's a good question. Being honest, it's not something I really wanted to hand down a directive on, but rather trust the community to work out what's appropriate.

Personally, I've always leant towards considering it the same as lyrics - okay when they're being quoted, not okay when used directly (although I'd never use it personally, primarily by actually avoiding quoting such things). Even then, though, there are perfectly valid arguments saying it's never okay.

And, let's face it, it's not the only ostensibly-pejorative word that's "charged" like that. A recent one was "honky", for example. As a general rule, almost all of them are effectively fine to be used at will by members of the group they describe, but then we (modmins) have to somehow make a judgement on whether somebody is a member of that group...at which point we have to either ask questions which might seem rude, or assume somebody's ethnicity/gender/etc, and neither of those are appealing prospects.

Equally, banning words sucks balls and inevitably becomes an eternal game of whack-a-mole as - put bluntly - more and more people demand words be outlawed according to a part of their ancestry from a couple of centuries ago.

So...no answer yet, but I'm going to put some serious thought into it. This is my first week in a new (very demanding) job, though, so please bear with me.

In the meantime, could everybody try to restrain themselves in order to avoid making that job more difficult, please?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

So...no answer yet, but I'm going to put some serious thought into it. This is my first week in a new (very demanding) job, though, so please bear with me.

In the meantime, could everybody try to restrain themselves in order to avoid making that job more difficult, please?
    Will say no more personally.

Good luck with new job :)
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 544
    edited June 2022
    I've found it all a little dull. First Aid Kit have probably been the best of what I've seen. I was looking forward to seeing Wet Leg but was a bit disappointed. Looked they had fun but not sure they were ready for the big stage. 

By contrast I went to see Weezer , Fall Out Boy and Greenday on Friday which may have made Glastonbury look a little second rate. 
    I'm not convinced a lot of todays Pop and Rap Acts are suited to the big festival stage. I guess its called Stadium Rock for a reason. 
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    I enjoyed Jack White, great band and delivery. Also refreshing to see no IEM, but old school wedge monitors and proper side fills. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11993
    I thought Macca's performance was astonishing given his advanced years
    Managed to see some of it now.  Tears in my eyes.  Great stuff from Dave 'n' Bruce too.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23111
    Have Robert Plant and Alison Krauss played Glastonbury before, quite recently?  I watched a bit of their set and it seemed like deja vu... maybe the previous occasion was Plant on his own, but playing very similar material.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    Philly_Q said:
    Have Robert Plant and Alison Krauss played Glastonbury before, quite recently?  I watched a bit of their set and it seemed like deja vu... maybe the previous occasion was Plant on his own, but playing very similar material.
    He had a televised festival set from somewhere else. Obviously pre Covid but within the last few years. Not Glastonbury I think. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.