Glastonbury 2022 - 50th anniversary

What's Hot

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12594
    TTony said:

I wondered how many of the acts were booked 3 years ago (McCartney,  Diana Ross) when they might *just* have been able to manage a show, and the bookings were just carried forward to 3 years later when they couldn't quite manage a show.

I lost count of how many times Diana Ross yelled out "sing this for with me" in the 10-odd minutes I watched before giving up.

And that old tradition of "singing in tune" seems to be option nowadays.  Is that because they rely on a lot of studio editing, or is it because the on-stage sound at Glastonbury is too bad?

Disappointing really.
    Listen to Kacey Musgraves set or First Aid Kit, they seemed to single fantastically well.  Sam Fender and Neil Tenant seemed to sing perfectly in tune as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28029
    munckee said:
    TTony said:

I wondered how many of the acts were booked 3 years ago (McCartney,  Diana Ross) when they might *just* have been able to manage a show, and the bookings were just carried forward to 3 years later when they couldn't quite manage a show.

I lost count of how many times Diana Ross yelled out "sing this for with me" in the 10-odd minutes I watched before giving up.

And that old tradition of "singing in tune" seems to be option nowadays.  Is that because they rely on a lot of studio editing, or is it because the on-stage sound at Glastonbury is too bad?

Disappointing really.
    Listen to Kacey Musgraves set or First Aid Kit, they seemed to single fantastically well.  Sam Fender and Neil Tenant seemed to sing perfectly in tune as well.
    For sure - there were plenty who did an excellent job (Neil Finn, Plant & Krauss demonstrating that being older doesn't mean that you can't do the job either).

But the poor vocals thing was more than a one-off ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3713
    exocet said:
    rsvmark said:
    No Mark Letteri in Snarky Puppy?
    Most of the band is comprised of musicians who drop in and out of the lineup on a tour by tour basis. Michael League is pretty much the only constant. 
    Who was playing? Lanzetti? Much prefer him in that band.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31154
    munckee said:
    Not my favourite band but Neil tenant is nailing it, on his own so far. 

Was he left to his own devices?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3390
    DesVegas said:
    So my guess is Liam's gonna join Noel onstage for his finale 
    He was too busy headlining to 85,000 at Hampden Park. 
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3390
    Schnozz said:

Not a guitarists pick at all, but check out 'Sigrid' - I haven't heard of her before, but incredible set of lungs, no makeup and a couple of Adidas trainers. Brilliant.
    Its more than Maccas ex needs
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    Schnozz said:

Not a guitarists pick at all, but check out 'Sigrid' - I haven't heard of her before, but incredible set of lungs, no makeup and a couple of Adidas trainers. Brilliant.
    Its 50% more than Maccas ex needs
    :)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1793
    munckee said:
    For my 17 year old daughter who is a singer and plays bass, guitar and piano I’m pleased to see so many girls playing instruments as well as singing. 

A lot of the acts seem to be young girls too. Encouraging stuff. 
    I thought the same too, there are some quality female acts out there and were well represented on the line up. In that genre Holly Humberstone was brilliant, its great to see some proper musical talent rather than a label finding a pretty face to sing songs that someone else has written.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1988
    Greatape said:
    exocet said:
    rsvmark said:
    No Mark Letteri in Snarky Puppy?
    Most of the band is comprised of musicians who drop in and out of the lineup on a tour by tour basis. Michael League is pretty much the only constant. 
    Who was playing? Lanzetti? Much prefer him in that band.
    I think it was Chris McQueen. I haven't watched the full set yet because "the wife doesn't appreciate jazz".... :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1999
    Devil#20 said:
    Do you think if somebody called him a motherfucking n**** whore he'd find it offensive? So much wrong with this genre of music that's not music. 

OK, somebody needs to make these points...

1.  If, as I assume, you are a middle-aged white guy, it is NOT OK to use the N-word, I'm not going to flag it but it is not cool and IMHO you should edit it.

2.  As it happens, I don't like him either, but that doesn't mean it's "not music".  The last batch of black music we appropriated you like, the new batch we haven't appropriated yet you don't, that's cool, honestly, I don't like it either, but clearly many thousands of people do, so I couldn't say it's "not music".

3.  I personally think when the world is how it is, with all the terrible things that happen, getting offended by naughty words is a waste of energy, but anyhow, just because you were offended it doesn't mean anyone did anything wrong, we are heading way too much down that sinister road.

I think you misunderstood me. If you think "getting offended by naughty words is a waste of energy" then I agree but in that case why did you decide to redact it? I'm not particularly offended but I could see many people would be. Is that the point of it, I don't know. You wouldn't be comfortable watching that with your kids I don't think. I just find it predictable and tiresome along with the political posturing that went on during the weekend. Once one started it they all had to jump on the same bandwagon without stopping to think properly about the Supreme Court ruling as long as it made them popular. It was supposed to be a music festival but it was more like a Roy Chubby Brown love in following by a political rally. 

It seems Lamar has now upset all the Christians for wearing a diamond encrusted crown of thorns deemed to be in bad taste. I'm an atheist so I'm not bothered. Sport and Music are supposed to be great levellers and where you leave all that rubbish for another time and just have a good old knees up. It's been moving away from that for a long time now and it lessens the experience. 

From a music perspective I don't think it was a good Glastonbury but because of the above I think it was one to forget. YMMV

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6832
    That's wonderful.

It's like the old cunts are trying to do as much damage as they possibly can before they die.
    Yup, they can't take it with them. Plus the guitarist had a nice green Gretsch....

I would have loved to have played with that band during that song!  
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12463
    Devil#20 said:
    I think you misunderstood me. If you think "getting offended by naughty words is a waste of energy" then I agree but in that case why did you decide to redact it? I'm not particularly offended but I could see many people would be. 
    Just to be 100% clear on the words issue, we may or may not disagree!

I didn't redact the word "motherfucker" because I thing it's just a swear and nothing to get offended about.  As to whether KL would be upset if you called him one, I don't know.  If you called me one out of the blue, I'd probably just call you something equally rude back, and I doubt we would fall out about it.

Would he be upset if you called him the N word?  Yes, you shouldn't be using it.  That isn't getting upset over a word, it's getting upset over the history behind the word and it's cultural significance today, which is different, you shouldn't use it and neither should I, hence redacting it, and my opinion you should edit your original post to redact it.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • ewalewal Frets: 2658
    Glastonbury has a long association with politics. If anything I found this year's festival weirdly apolitical given current world events. Almost an opportunity missed to express solidarity with victims of war, famine, and other man-made humanitarian crisis. I guess the politics could still have been there and it was an editorial decision by BBC not to overly cover it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6272
    edited June 2022
    We had it on iplayer going most of the weekend when we were in. I think the coverage is very good, the content not so really.

Tbh, I struggle to list many stand out sets. 

Supergrass - good musicians, but pretty boring. I saw them at Tramlines last year and thought the same - dull. 

Elbow - very high quality, and Guy Garvey is such a good singer, and a good frontman. Yep, it's hardly edgy, but I thought as a band a performance, it was a cut above.

Alison Krauss and Robert Plant nailed it. Bang on.

Jarv Is -now, I'm a fan of Mr Cocker, and I was there in 95 when Pulp stepped in the the Roses, but he was a bit boring last night IMO. Polished, but dull.

Yves Tumour - saw him live last Monday, and thought the same at Glastonbury - bit weird, spoiled by bad vocal mixing. Good performer though. A bit different.

Idles - really enjoyed their set.

Sleaford Mods - same, thought they were excellent. Bit sweary mind

Blossoms - truly awful. 

Kendrick Lamarr - don't get it really. Same bracket as Yeazy for me - extremely over rated. Bu then I am not a fan of the genre really.

Krhuangbin - jury is out for me. Obviously talented, but dunno if it's for me. Interesting, and not bland though.

Squid - I'm a big fan, but thought their set was a bit over the top, bit too noodly and shouty.

I enjoyed Bonobo.

Highlight of the whole thing for me was Gabriels. I thought they were brilliant, and the singer has an amazing voice and presence.

Not seen Macca yet.

Overall I thought the festival was a bit dull really, lineup was not as interesting as it has been. However, it is good to have it back. Felt a little over rated though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Devil#20 said:
    I think you misunderstood me. If you think "getting offended by naughty words is a waste of energy" then I agree but in that case why did you decide to redact it? I'm not particularly offended but I could see many people would be. 

I didn't redact the word "motherfucker" because I thing it's just a swear and nothing to get offended about.  As to whether KL would be upset if you called him one, I don't know.  If you called me one out of the blue, I'd probably just call you something equally rude back, and I doubt we would fall out about it.

Would he be upset if you called him the N word?  Yes, you shouldn't be using it.  That isn't getting upset over a word, it's getting upset over the history behind the word and it's cultural significance today, which is different, you shouldn't use it and neither should I, hence redacting it, and my opinion you should edit your original post to redact it.

The word nigga has essentially been reclaimed by the black community (as opposed to the world nigger, which has not- modmins- I spell this out for absolute clarity) and it's absolutely acceptable for the community to use this in self reference, but not for those outside to use in a perjorative context.

It's not dissimilar to 'queer' which has been reclaimed, esp by US Lesbians, and it's the context the word is used it, rather than the actual word, that defines if it is offensive or not.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16407
    Snap said:

Highlight of the whole thing for me was Gabriels. I thought they were brilliant, and the singer has an amazing voice and presence.

There's lots I haven't seen but in terms of what I have this ^^^ real stand out. 

Lack of Ziggy Marley on iPlayer (last time I checked) seems an oddity, seems to have attracted a huge crowd. Maybe it's a Marley estate thing. Disappointed in no sign of Hollie Cook on there either. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6272
    Gassage said:
    Devil#20 said:

The word nigga has essentially been reclaimed by the black community (as opposed to the world nigger, which has not- modmins- I spell this out for absolute clarity) and it's absolutely acceptable for the community to use this in self reference, but not for those outside to use in a perjorative context.

It's not dissimilar to 'queer' which has been reclaimed, esp by US Lesbians, and it's the context the word is used it, rather than the actual word, that defines if it is offensive or not.
    Doesn't "queer" mean something entirely different to what it meant to us a yoofs? According to the kids it's more a term for someone who's vaguely curious, not conforming to a stereotype etc, though I could have got that wrong quite easily.
  • BluebeardBluebeard Frets: 228
    They didn't stream Brass Against on iPlayer. Maybe BBC were worried someone might get pissed on
    Snap said:
    Doesn't "queer" mean something entirely different to what it meant to us a yoofs? According to the kids it's more a term for someone who's vaguely curious, not conforming to a stereotype etc, though I could have got that wrong quite easily.

Well, sort of. It's been reclaimed from the former slur to use as a good catch all for all LGBTQIA+ stuff.

A Former Slur Is Reclaimed, And Listeners Have Mixed Feelings : NPR Public Editor : NPR

• CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4307
    Of all the sets I watched so far, Big Thief were in a different league to everyone else for me personally. Have seen them live before and they just seem to be getting better and better. She is a great song writer, and they are really tight with great tone. My only gripe with them, is there is one song on EVERY record, that is so fucking dire that I literally cannot listen to it. Really annoying, as spoils some otherwise perfect albums.