Glastonbury 2022 - 50th anniversary

What's Hot

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6166
    I love Khruangbin. I don't know if this mix is serving them that well, but it's not terrible compared to some career-wrecking mixes I've heard. They certainly make a huge sound considering they're a trio, sort of space rock you can dance to. 
    I think their sound works better in smaller spaces, more intimate venues. Billie Eilish gets lost on that big stage too imo, it might work for her as a discovery but headlining the main stage is a whole different gig, one that her music isn't suited for (imo).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2031
    Crowded House and Krauss & Plant were wonderful - Thoroughly enjoyed :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7201
    Don't know who I'm watching now; lead singer looks like Diego Costa
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    JezWynd said:
    I love Khruangbin. I don't know if this mix is serving them that well, but it's not terrible compared to some career-wrecking mixes I've heard. They certainly make a huge sound considering they're a trio, sort of space rock you can dance to. 
    I think their sound works better in smaller spaces, more intimate venues. Billie Eilish gets lost on that big stage too imo, it might work for her as a discovery but headlining the main stage is a whole different gig, one that her music isn't suited for (imo).
    Ellish is up there with the most underwhelming acts I have witnessed in a while. We now live in the age of a 4 or 8 bar loop copied and pasted up to 2.30 mins with a bit of vocal over the top being considered for the Ivor Novello award. Where do we go from here ? ( I will leave this space for Haircut 100 aficionados  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mattdavismattdavis Frets: 841
    tony99 said:
    Foals I suspect. Spanish Sahara is a fucking massive tune. Sends shivers through every part of me. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mattdavis said:
    tony99 said:
    Foals I suspect. Spanish Sahara is a fucking massive tune. Sends shivers through every part of me. 
    That whole album is beautiful ( Total life forever ). I agree Spanish Sahara is something else. Maybe a time in  my life, but it still gets me.

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2097
    Sadly Billy isn’t too appealing on this stage…lacks energy without a band….

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1109
    Felt myself getting a bit emotional watching Crowded House. Need to have a word with myself! So good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    FH, Foals are great tonight !
    I’m afraid I agree about Eilish. But I’m the wrong generation. Just feels quite flat to me - there’s not the drama to fill that massive stage. Really like her stuff but just doesn’t feel festival headlining music. 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2633
    I've switched over to Explosions in the Sky - exactly what I needed this evening.
  • A very good day. My highlight was certainly Dry Cleaning; St Vincent, Khruangbin and Plant and Kraus were excellent.
    Not so sure about tomorrow's line up, we'll see. 
    artiebear said:
    On. Fire. 
    edited June 2022
    mattdavis said:
    artiebear said:
    On. Fire. 
    getting better and better, I wasn't expecting them to be this good tbh. They are brilliant.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16353

S56035 said:
    What metal isTeleMaster said:
    So much good stuff there. The highlights for me would be Jamie T, St Vincent, Wet Leg, Billie Eilish, AJ Tracey, Four Tet, Primal Scream, Ziggy, Wolf Alice, Andy C, Macca, Noel, Kendrick Lamaar, Sleaford Mods, Bonobo, Kurupt FM. Loads! 

The only problem is how to see them all!

People who look at a lineup like they have at Glasto every year and can't see anything from a lineup that has everything from metal to jazz to blues to electro to hip hop to lofi and everything in between , and don't think they'll find music to enjoy, I mean... do they even listen to music?

I'm seeing the Stones tomorrow so that more than makes up for not going but I'm definitely going to try again next year. 
    Can you point me at the metal? 

Or the blues? 

Just because there's no big name blues or metal band high up the bill this year it doesn't mean that there has never been blues or metal there, or that there won't be blues or metal on one of the 100 stages they have there. I saw Metallica there. Metal enough for you? I saw BB King there. Blues enough for you? 

If you'd go, or if you'd have been, you'd see that they have literally every style of music there. You can walk into one of the popup pubs they have and find a hardcore band, or a blues band playing. And there are like a thousand bands, I don't know them all but there absolutely will be metal, punk, hardcore, blues, jazz, etc there. 

I have been. And I appreciate, as probably does almost anyone with even a vague passing interest in the festival, that enjoying Glastonbury isn’t wholly dependent upon who the headlining bands are. But metal is rarely well represented ( acts such as Metallica and Napalm Death being very much the exceptions that prove the rule)and it seems like many metal fans feel that they are excluded. Blues is usually well represented but isn’t this year and that seems disappointing. Yes, in a tent in a field there may be lesser known acts playing but they won’t be on the TV or maybe worth the enormous ticket price of going to Glastonbury. Scanning down the list of the line up most years it now seems dominated by a few big name ageing acts and lots of broadly indie bands ( although fine, I’m not paying for a ticket).  
    Hopefully the acts that I am interested in this year (Ziggy Marley, Hollie Cooke, Imelda May, Adwaith,etc) will get on TV. Wether that would represent a serious amount of cross country running to take them all in if I was there I don’t know. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12493
    I thought Robert Plant and Alison Krause were ok, but they really needed to mix things up a bit, everything seemed to be played at the same ploddy pace. 

Foals and Crowded House have been the best things I’ve seen so far. (But yeah, that kid, WTF? Is he Neil Finn’s sprog or something?). 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16353
    boogieman said:
    I thought Robert Plant and Alison Krause were ok, but they really needed to mix things up a bit, everything seemed to be played at the same ploddy pace. 

Foals and Crowded House have been the best things I’ve seen so far. (But yeah, that kid, WTF? Is he Neil Finn’s sprog or something?). 
    Not watched it but Neil’s sons Liam and Elroy are in the band. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5199
    I’m was enjoying crowded house until the screaming started….. :#
    I think that kid was Neil Finn’s grandson (Neil Finn’s son was the other guitarist)

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5593
    We've just watched the Crowded House set on iplayer and been singing our hearts out. What a great set, it's just hit after hit but yet so many people won't know their stuff unfortunately.
    Neil has one of *those* voices. Nails it every time and always comes across like your favourite teacher at school. Probably Geography. Maybe Modern Studies.
    Found myself welling up a bit too when Buddy came on at the end to 'sing' along with Dad and Grandad. What a memory x
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom