Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So it's a NO.. so what happens now?

What's Hot

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Fretwired said:
    frankus said:
    My issue with UKIP is there funding is probably from U.S neo-cons, pushing a libertarian agenda for big business.
    You're probably right. Wasn't Farage a City banker at one time?
    Dunno but tthe budget for local elections seems to outstrip all other parties - multiple leaflet drops...
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The generation of anti-Scot feelings was always going to happen when something like this occurs. And God only knows how much this debacle is going to cost the Union. No sign of Salmond as yet, though.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    The BBC said:

Ed Miliband signals that he will not sign up to the prime minister's plan to give more power to the Scottish Parliament at the same time as trying to agree new powers for English MPs.

While accepting the need for reforms, the Labour leader says that he wants a process of debate to begin before the general election but - crucially - he calls for a constitutional convention to finalise reform to happen later, in the autumn of 2015.

So there you go... Miliband already trying to kick the West Lothian question into touch until after the election so he hopes he can get back into power and then ignore it.

It needs to be sorted out now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• deano said:
    The interesting thing - for me - about the referendum is how it has highlighted the anti-Scottish feeling held by a sizeable number of English people.

Same on both sides and I really don't like it - disgusting behaviour IMO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    The BBC said:

Ed Miliband signals that he will not sign up to the prime minister's plan to give more power to the Scottish Parliament at the same time as trying to agree new powers for English MPs.

While accepting the need for reforms, the Labour leader says that he wants a process of debate to begin before the general election but - crucially - he calls for a constitutional convention to finalise reform to happen later, in the autumn of 2015.

So there you go... Miliband already trying to kick the West Lothian question into touch until after the election so he hopes he can get back into power and then ignore it.

It'll be interesting to see all the mandarins pinning their colours to the mast. And even more interesting to watch the back-pedalling, and bullshit they come out with.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    ICBM said:
    The BBC said:

Told you he would .. Cameron's got him by the balls .. Salmond's a canny politician and he'll now smell Labour blood - he switched his TV broadcast from 9:00 to 16:00 to see what Miliband was going to say. Watch out for the Dave and Alex show coming to a TV screen near you very soon. All Cameron has to do is offer the Scots home rule and the Welsh and NI a similar deal and a parliament for England and he's home and dry. Salmond will get a good deal for Scotland , Labour lose their MPs and end up in the wilderness ... Salmond will sense Miliband going back on his pledge and will chew him up and spit him out ... :-)

24 hours ago I said Cameron was a lame duck. I got that wrong ... he's back from the dead.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • deano said:
    The interesting thing - for me - about the referendum is how it has highlighted the anti-Scottish feeling held by a sizeable number of English people.

Fuck off jock lad ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Salmond to resign in five minutes???

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fretwired said:
    Salmond's a canny politician and he'll now smell Labour blood
    Yeah, he's no idiot. He's got far more to gain from eviscerating Labour than he has from fighting the Tories. With Cameron having put everything on the table that Salmond could reasonably expect at this point, I suspect we're going to see those two buddying up like no party's done before. Honestly, at this point I don't see that as a bad thing for anybody concerned, particularly not the public. 

Unless your name's Milliband or Clegg, of course, but who cares about them?
    <space for hire>
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16475
    Fretwired said:

this was what someone was tweeting this morning (some editor of a Scottish local rag I think). How he knew I don't know. Seems odd to resign really, he's still 1st minister for 2 years and he didn't lose the vote, the other side just got more votes, so he didn't disgrace himself or anything. Seems the price of failure nowadays is very high, even when you haven't actually failed.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

Fretwired said:
    Labour lose their MPs and end up in the wilderness ... Salmond will sense Miliband going back on his pledge and will chew him up and spit him out …
    UK Labour are probably finished in Scotland anyway if Miliband goes back on his 'vow' within 24 hours of the result. Scottish Labour (ie in Holyrood) is a different thing and may be best to distance itself from the London party as fast as possible. It will be interesting to see if Darling and Brown get tarred with the brush too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Fretwired said:

Wow, THAT surprises me. Shan't shed too many tears though, smarmy get.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28444
    I reckon Salmond will probably resign.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Well, I didn't see that coming. He had a golden opportunity to be the hero...I wonder what went on.
    <space for hire>
    edited September 2014
    I don't much like him personally but I don't think he has anything to apologise or resign for regarding the referendum.

He says he's not going to retire though - perhaps he sees himself more in the role of negotiating with London, which might have been difficult to balance with the working job of First Minister.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28444
    ICBM said:
    I don't much like him personally but I don't think he has anything to apologise or resign for regarding the referendum.
    It's been his life's work though.  He's worked for years to get the referendum, he got it, and his voters said "no thanks".

Allegedly, 1/3rd of the Scottish population are in favour of independence, have always been so, and always will be so.  If that's anywhere near true, he's spent the last "x" years of his life getting that figure up from 33% to 45%.

Of that 12%pt increase, how much came from putting the issue front of people's minds (ie all those who'd never really considered the question, or never thought they'd have to), and by extending the vote to the 16/17 yr olds (by nature more "revolutionary").

Add that to the Westminster politicians being more unpopular today than at any time since ... well, than at any time really ... and really the "yes" campaign didn't generate that much extra support.

So, he's probably feeling just a little deflated right now ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • IanSavage said:
    deano said:

Fuck off jock lad ;)
    Oi! ;D :)
  • IanSavage said:
    deano said:

Fuck off jock lad ;)
    Oi! ;D :)
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4468
    edited September 2014
    If he put more meat on the bone regarding currency, plan B etc I suspect the vote may have been very different but the more "educated/non-deprived" (don't flame me, as reported on BBC!) areas like Edinburgh & East Lothian had strong NO votes and these were the very reasons why - sometimes faith isn't enough.
    Shame to see him go - Scotland is now divided but I thought he was ok.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    it's just a matter of time until we end up with a People's Republic of Sidcup..
    play every note as if it were your first