Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So it's a NO.. so what happens now?

What's Hot

Comments

• ewalewal Frets: 2845
    Actually think it will get well reported and described as "Scotland's Shame" thus tarring us all with the same brush... They need to take the democratic shine off the referendum somehow...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • No offence taken regarding earlier comment about London etc - just meant power should be more spread throughout England as opposed to largely holed up in London, at least it seems that way to an outsider. 

I know many educated that voted yes so apologies if it came across that I was saying yes votes are not smart - didn't mean that at all. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    . England's pretty much just "London" these days! Need to spread out the power like in Germany.

And Scotland's just the financial centre of Edinburgh and a couple of shipyards on the Clyde .. generalisations are great aren't they. There's far more to England than London ... 53 million people live in England and only 8 million of them live in London. They don't even have the best football team .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    ICBM said:
    Things are kicking off in George Square now unfortunately. Seems like some idiot unionists of the sort we don't need have started trouble.
    We have nutters like that in England and they have them in N. Ireland. From what I've seen it doesn't amount to much .. the Daily Fail have reported it ..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2762876/Union-flag-waving-demonstrators-make-Nazi-salute-Glasgow-victory-celebrations-Police-separate-rival-groups-tension-increases.html

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    It's on the BBC now too, sounds like it was a couple of hundred involved at most. Three arrests. Not even an average Old Firm match level of trouble.

Sounds like it was over-reported and made to sound like something big was being 'hushed up'. I'll find out when I'm at the shop next week, it's not far away.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Bloody Glaswegians ;D
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16314
    ICBM said:
    It's on the BBC now too, sounds like it was a couple of hundred involved at most. Three arrests. Not even an average Old Firm match level of trouble.

Sounds like it was over-reported and made to sound like something big was being 'hushed up'. I'll find out when I'm at the shop next week, it's not far away.
    the shop? GTR GTR?
    tae be or not tae be
    I'm from just outside Glasgow in sunny North Lanarkshire, Glasgow and NL BTW being two of the four councils who voted YES
    tae be or not tae be
    hi Thom :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • Oh well nae luck on the Indy and the prospect of more Devo for all in the UK, if they don't backpedal as they seem to be already.

Whatever though the real winner yesterday was democracy and if it doesn't get ugly then in the long run the whole UK may get a better deal overall. If the West Lothian question (and the other devolved govts get the same) and the Barnett formula get sorted to everyone's satisfaction I will be happy so nine of us have anything to blame or bitch about.

Slightly concerned and sad about some of the comments brung made ramping up the hate, waste if space now it is all over and a way forward needs sorted.

I am bemused at the pathetic and hateful reaction to Andy Murray declaring as a yes and even Dunblane was used to make it even nastier.

When this happened to JK Rowling the media went hysterically apoplectic and said (quite rightly) she was entitled to her opinion and to support what is right for her. After all se was only defending the union.

Wind on to yesterday and AM is a betraying the union that made him etc etc, no hysteria about the hate he got.

Say it isn't so all you want but have a look at the stories and shit for both events. Surely if JK Rowling is allowed to have her opinion based on her personal gut feeling then why is it biting the hand that feeds and therefore worthy of the hate.

FWIW I don't dislike Rowling or have any issue with her speaking her mind, she lives here was eligible to vote so free to exercise it as she pleases.

It is a shame that those unionists/loyalists decided to charge the yes lot and it is rooted in the whole imported sectarianism that afflicts our football, thankfully not as bad as it used to be but still a fucking scourge and shameful.

It has more to do with that shite than the indyref per se, any excuse for both sides of that divide. They are as bad as each other though and this time it was the unionists having a go.

And I have to say equating a dude getting egged with proper nasty hateful violence is weak as piss. Almost as stupid as equating SNP/AS with UKIP as some have.

Even the dude who got egged said last night it was nothing and happens from time to time on the campaign trail, Prescott anyone or Mandy getting gunged, maybe that one that got soaked by Chumbawumba.

Regrettable it happens but not really much of a story or too big a deal.

Politicians are thick skinned and big enough and ugly enough to cope.

Anyone believing that needs their bumps felt, check the bollocks Farage and co are spouting with their one Scots MEP simply repeating the Sun and DM silly unsubstantiated stories last night was hiliarious and sad all at once.

Anyway I hope that those on here saying (and by the media) that there is an ongoing and growing anti scots backlash are wrong and we can all get on with proceeding with the change that has hopefully set in motion. 

If not I fear we will be revisiting this again very soon and even maybe if the promises are reneged on.

Whatever AS is or isn't he has achieved an awful lot of what he set out to despite heavy odds against him doing so. He also did a decent job whilst in power and made good overall on the promises given, unlike the Westminster lot.

As i say I am not a fan of AS or SNP but happy to recognise the good work he has done, despite him recently seemingly starting to believe his own hype and getting annoying. I would still take him over the shower of fuckwits in Westminster and Whitehall any day of the week.  

I reckon @ICBM spoke the truth that ignorance on both sides of each others true motives and reasoning is why there is so much argy bargy and shite talked.

Maybe that needs put right and a better dialogue not involving governments and other vested interests running interference and stoking dissent.

But more so than that it is incumbent upon us all as a society to question more instead of knee jerk reactions based on info that cannot be said to be wholly accurate or impartial.

Time to give them a hard time and let them know we are sick of their shit.

If we all do in fact want the union to continue then we need to recognise it needs changing or else it will break up whether it be by Scots, English, Welsh or Irish actions if petty squabbles win the day. Maybe that is where it will end up anyway, time to shit or get off the pot possibly.

I would like to know if we will get an analysis of the votes as I would be interested if it was the last minute bribes, the supposed gender gap of risk aversion or otherwise or maybe even the young uns had a significant bearing either way.

Just curiosity on my part to see if the random and myriad assessments around today are BS or not.

For the record like ICBM I went for a yes for many reasons in the end and not as a AS/SNP drone as some might suggest.

Jist my opimion and 2p plus VAT.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hootsmon said:
    hi Thom :)
    Declare thyself! Did you have a different name on intermusic/musicradar? Maybe my memory is just awful these days....
    Oh dear, some of the stories on DailyMail and the "top rated" comments are just awful,. Whole can of worms is open now. 
    YES vote here...yeah I WAS on MR and sold and bought a few items too but can't for the life of me remember my name there  :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • It'll be the Buckie.

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446

Oh dear, some of the stories on DailyMail and the "top rated" comments are just awful,. Whole can of worms is open now. 
    To be expected really. Ever read any Youtube comments? :)
  • No probs! :) :) 

Youtube comments - nooo! :)
  • And Salmond's resigned. Just as I predicted a while ago, if he lost the vote. Twat.

• A large group of unionist bigots have an ugly, bigoted, violent "victory party" that is by all accounts a small scale riot and it probably won't get a mention anywhere
    First result I found when I went looking for it, took about 5 seconds:

<space for hire>
    Actually Salmond has not really resigned - which implies an immediate or precipitous giving up of his job - he's said he will stand down and not seek re-election at the next party conference, which happens to be fairly soon. That's an important difference, but it's being spun against him.

I suspect we have not seen the last of him either - he's still relatively young... although his wife is much older, and perhaps he would genuinely like to spend a bit more time with her, his workload over the last few months must have been enormous.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • historyisjunkhistoryisjunk Frets: 500
    edited September 2014
    If you want to try to do something to let Westminster know you aren't happy to drift back to bad-business as usual you might consider reading this & signing the petition with a message of your own, & WRITE INDIVIDUALLY TO YOUR WESTMINSTER MP saying things have to change now with more substantial action towards what "one-nation" & a fair society might look like- not just rhetoric & scapegoating.

Dear XX
    Scotland has voted ‘no’ to independence. [1] As half the country celebrates, the other half hurts. Scotland will stay in the UK, but 45% ‘yes’ is a clear vote for change.

So what now for Scotland? Do we go back to business as usual? Or do we get much more devolution?

When the polls swung towards ‘yes’ last week, Cameron, Miliband and Clegg jumped on trains going north. They promised much more power for Holyrood if Scotland voted ‘no’. More freedom, more autonomy. [2] This morning, David Cameron pledged to honour their commitments. [3]

But backbench MPs are already restless at the idea of more powers for Scotland. [4] It’d be easy to quietly dilute the offer if disagreement grows.

We don’t have to accept that. If we build a huge petition of hundreds of thousands of names from across Scotland, we could turn the spotlight on their promise. They made the offer through gritted teeth - now we can make it impossible for Cameron, Clegg and Miliband to back down.

Can you add your name to a petition to the party leaders in Westminster today, asking them to keep their promise to Scotland? Click here to sign the petition:
    https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/promise-for-Scotland

No matter how you voted, today is a new dawn. But independence has dominated the headlines for months, and the UK party leaders will be keen to move on. It would be easy to lose the momentum for change.

There are nearly 150,000 members of 38 Degrees in Scotland, from Lerwick to Jedburgh, Arbroath to Stornoway. Together, we can put Cameron, Clegg and Miliband on the spot from day one.

Can you add your name to thousands of others right now, asking the party leaders to follow through and grant more powers to Scotland? Click here to sign the petition:
    https://secure.38degrees.org.uk/promise-for-Scotland

Thanks for being involved,

Susannah, Megan, Rebecca, Blanche and the 38 Degrees team

NOTES
    [1] The Herald: It’s no go: by 55%-45%, Scotland rejects independence:
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/its-no-go-scotland-rejects-independence.1411101075
    [2] Daily Record: Referendum: Westminster’s main party leaders promise that a No vote will mean a stronger Scottish Parliament and total protection of the NHS:
    http://www.scotlandnow.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/referendum-westminsters-main-party-leaders-4266718
    [3] BBC: David Cameron: It is time for the UK to come together:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29271763
    [4] The Independent: Tory revolt over ‘devo max’ grows as Rail Minister Claire Perry joins:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/scottish-independence/scottish-independence-tory-revolt-against-devo-max-grows-as-rail-minister-claire-perry-joins-9741966.html

If you think this is bollocks & petitions don't change anything consider why this Govt have tried to gag 38 Degrees during elections.

I really hope things will change for the better now & we won't be diverted into a swamp of recriminations & resentments either in Scotland or across the UK.
     If our society had been working properly & our political system delivering proper representation the Yes campaign would never have built up the following it did- it WASN'T narrow nationalism.
    As @UnclePsychosis says people need to make democracy work (Wisdom). You don't need to be a full on political activist with a MI5 file to yourself, just don't accept received wisdom (where ever it comes from), question what you hear & read, discuss it with others, keep on your representatives case. Politics & society is us & how we behave towards one another.

Sermon over

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Signed. I will also write to my MP - although he is Labour and so that may not achieve a lot, Miliband is already backtracking as fast as possible because Labour has a party self-interest in not addressing the constitutional issues before the next General Election. Although my vote is currently up for grabs - Lib Dem last time...