Star Trek: Strange New Worlds S2

What's Hot

Comments

• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3751
    Offset said:
    Greatape said:
    Enjoyed it so much, I briefly forgot my dislike of 'Discovery' and went skipping off back to check out S3. 

I disliked 'Discovery' as well and I don't intend to revisit.  It's the main reason why I started watching SNW so late in the day.  Nearly through S1 and so glad I bit the bullet - it's fantastic.
    For me, SNW and Picard series three....achieved the trick of hitting the nostalgia button just enough, whilst simultaneously being undeniably modern. But the emotional punch is not fawning and mawkish, and is in balance with the other elements. Plus, the writing and direction is generally great. I could not describe Discovery as such. 

Discovery s1-2 had its moments, but it lost its way. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6040
    Ep 4 was another winner for me. I’m really enjoying this cast and the way they do their own thing while dipping a lot into original series events and stories. Going all the way back to The Cage to pick up on the Rigel story was a nice touch. 

I think the big difference between SNW/Picard and Discovery looks to be about the target market. Two are made for us folks that remember TOS and/or TNG when they were new. Discovery is for much younger folks. I love them all for what they are and Discovery is the one that feels the closest to the intention of the original. Kirk’s time might seem very dated and old fashioned now but in its own era, Star Trek was under threat of being cancelled for being “woke and lefty nonsense” from the pilot to the last show. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28141
    Ep4 is one of the best Trek episodes in a very very long time.

I agree with @dazzajl that Disco was aiming for a younger crowd but it clearly didn’t succeed. 

Thank god for SNW and Anson Mount’s spectacular hair 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14030
    I'm not a Star Trek geek by any account but I am really enjoying Strange New Worlds, proper Trek

It did succeed opening the door to a lot of new Trek TV and if just for that alone, it’s been very worthwhile. 

Anson is spectacular isn’t he. There is a brilliant little clip of him and Jason Issacs in an interview together where Jason tells of the uproar from fans for more Lorca and how it all fell totally silent the second Pike appears on screen 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25050
    I enjoyed the new one.

Excellent premise and the in laws were great.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah, I didn't hate this episode but I feel like we've had a lot of Spock/TPring eps in a short run so far. I don't mind if we go a couple of seasons without now! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12811
    dazzajl said:
    Anson is spectacular isn’t he. There is a brilliant little clip of him and Jason Issacs in an interview together where Jason tells of the uproar from fans for more Lorca and how it all fell totally silent the second Pike appears on screen 
    Probably my favourite bit of dialogue in Discovery Season 2 from Pike, and Anson nailed it...

"You are a Starfleet captain. You believe in service, sacrifice, compassion and love"

Anson is a bit Trek fan, so he understands why Starfleet means as much as it does to Trek fans, a helluva lot for an organisation that doesn't exist.

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1018
    Just left Toronto (near Time Square).  On hols.
    From our threads here, this made me laugh a little more than it should  :3

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4307
    Pike's fast becoming my favourite ST captain, although I'm impressed by new Kirk too - a good update on the character.
    Absolutely fantastic once again. Love this new Kirk guy almost as much as I do Pike 
    As a pre TNG Trekkie, Kirk is ‘my’ Captain and I wasn’t sure how much I liked having the character rewritten as much as they have done in the series one episode. Two more in now and I think he’s brilliant. A very good job breathing new life into a very old recipe. 

Everything about SNW continues to be excellent. 
    Peeps…… it’s early!!

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12895
    Well E7 sorts out my evening viewing!
    Offset said:
    Ditto.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12895
    Offset said:
    Ditto.
    Conversely I tried S4 of Discovery the other evening as I'd given up on the earlier series'.  I lasted about 10 minutes - it's just utter tosh.
    They’re doing a musical ep next. I am nervous but I trust these guys pretty hard right now. 

Will watch the LD ep after the F1. 

I saw a clip of the new season of Disco by chance last week. It looked no better than it ever was so I’m still not watching it. I don’t miss it at all. Same feelings as I had when I quit the Walking Dead
    Offset said:
    Offset said:
    Ditto.
    Conversely I tried S4 of Discovery the other evening as I'd given up on the earlier series'.  I lasted about 10 minutes - it's just utter tosh.
    I can't remember how it starts but it develops into a very trek conclusion.
    Watched "Those Old Scientists" - was wonderful would happily have watched a season of that.

I'm slightly terrified that the writers and actors strikes have killed SNW Season 3 - I hope I'm wrong but the direction of travel for Paramount + doesn't seem to be putting money into it's most expensive franchise.

No sign of a commission for Star Trek Legacy either.

Heck, at least we have the musical episode.

Ironic with all the Discovery bashing - found a totally unopened brand new Box Set of Disco S3 on DVD in a charity shop for a quid.  I've not got in on Blu Ray yet so picked it up for that one time I'm away with only a DVD player!