What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25050
    Honest Trailers called it out too

https://youtu.be/-6Zc8Co2H3w

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6040
    Wow!! This weeks ride was something else. 

A little ‘Conscience Of The King’, a dash of ‘Undiscovered Country’ a sprinkling of M*A*S*H and just for good measure Clint Howard back, 57 years after his first Trek appearance. 

I think I need a glass of tranya now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28141
    I was expecting the musical this week - I was not expecting what we got at all! An absolute powerhouse of an episode. 

How is this by the same company as DISCO? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I was expecting the musical this week - I was not expecting what we got at all! An absolute powerhouse of an episode. 

Very odd - especially when you see that Kurtzman was involved with both.

I have a suspicion that after Disco (and Picard S2) he was probably gaffa taped to a chair during the writing sessions and only released to go to the toilet.

Very odd - especially when you see that Kurtzman was involved with both.

I have a suspicion that after Disco (and Picard S2) he was probably gaffa taped to a chair during the writing sessions and only released to go to the toilet.
    Yeah, could well be he's a liability but one with a firm contract so they keep him on rather than pay him out. 

Either way I just hope the bosses at Paramount work out why it's working and hold on to that...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12811
    Discovery was ropier for it's first couple of seasons for several reasons...

1.  It was the first Trek on TV for 15 years, and was struggling to figure out how to make Trek in the cynical 2010s... it's fair to say kicking off a Star Trek show going into a war was an eccentric decision.
    2.  It changed showrunners during production of S1 and again during S2, so there are significant tonal shifts.
    3.  Everyone but the first showrunners didn't like the idea of Michael Burnham as a flawed hero, so started to redeem her basically right away.
    4.  Writing Star Trek is hard.  nu-Trek has now developed a distinct style in SNW distinct from the old style of the TNG era.
    5.  If you hadn't had Discovery Season 2, and its season-long Pike and Spock arcs, no  SNW at all...

I'm planning to re-watch Discovery soon, but with a watch list longer than a long watchy thing, wont be for a little while.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1018
    edited August 2023
    Just seen the latest - absolutely brilliant.  Not your typical Trek, deep, powerful and excellent.
  • I tried restarting Picard again yesterday, it really is quite crap isn’t it? It doesn’t feel like Trek tome at all. Is it even worth persevering into S2 & 3?
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12895
    I tried restarting Picard again yesterday, it really is quite crap isn’t it? It doesn’t feel like Trek tome at all. Is it even worth persevering into S2 & 3?
    Didn't much care for S1.  S2 was crap.  S3 is completely brilliant so just watch that.
    Offset said:
    I tried restarting Picard again yesterday, it really is quite crap isn’t it? It doesn’t feel like Trek tome at all. Is it even worth persevering into S2 & 3?
    Didn't much care for S1.  S2 was crap.  S3 is completely brilliant so just watch that.
    100% this. I don't think you'll even miss any particularly interesting backstory from S1/2 that will make any difference in S3. 

Maybe...

Riker & Deanna had a kid and he died
    Picard is an android now
    Rafi exists
    Data is still dead

Could not have a more opposite opinion of Picard. Series one and two were something new and interesting. The story of a man we followed on TNG but finally told from a much more interesting personal point of view. 

Series three is a more two dimensional shoot em up affair, with some very cool nods back to a lot of past trek. And Shaw. Shaw was absolutely brilliant! 
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3330
    The musical episodes are not good.  Every other episode has been superb
  • enjoenjo Frets: 280
    The musical episodes are not good.  Every other episode has been superb
    I'm not normally a fan of musicals so was a bit apprehensive about this one... But I thought they knocked that out of the park.

You can see how much work has gone into it. The solos for Celia Rose Gooding and Christina Chong, just wow. After the episode I had to go back and listen to them again a few times.

Have to admit the K-pop did made me laugh.

Pivoting from the last episode to this one and still having the same overall feel is amazing. SNW is brilliant.
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1018
    tought it was pretty dire myself.  Why were the vocals so heavily processed?  Most of them are clearly able to sing from their past work, yet this sounded like an autotune advert.
    edited August 2023
    Went in with a nervously open mind and thought it was incredibly good. It seems there is nothing that SNW can’t make work and will all my love for everything Trek, no other series could have pulled that off. 
    dazzajl said:
    Could not have a more opposite opinion of Picard. Series one and two were something new and interesting. The story of a man we followed on TNG but finally told from a much more interesting personal point of view. 

Series three is a more two dimensional shoot em up affair, with some very cool nods back to a lot of past trek. And Shaw. Shaw was absolutely brilliant! 
    Well...
    I didn't mind S1 too much apart from JLP being far too much of a wimp, but S2 Borg helping the universe thing was a travesty that ended up being completely ignored in S3. It was like S2 just didn't exist.

That was poor writing.

I'm still hoping that Shaw survived. Maybe some of Seven's nanos held him together for reasons.

• RabsRabs Frets: 2634
    tFB Trader
    Hmm..  Mixed feelings on that one... I thought it was over produced (the music), but then it is American and they often over do the cheese. I almost switched off at one point but am glad I watched it till the end...  It was amusing if nothing else...

Sorta reminded me of that Buffy episode.. But the Buffy one was done far better in terms of music which was also very theatrical in style.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1820
    I was not in the mood for the singing this week so unless someone says it’s key to watch past 20 mins. I will wait for next week which is I think the final episode.

I remember the cringe worthy buffy episode ISTR aptly titled  once more with feeling.
    Well I thought it was excellent. Not as good as the previous too but that's fine given they're among the very best of all Trek imo. 

Buffy's OMWF was also exceptional.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12811
    edited August 2023
    Well I thought it was excellent. Not as good as the previous too but that's fine given they're among the very best of all Trek imo. 

Buffy's OMWF was also exceptional.
    Indeed and Buffy was clearly the inspiration as well.

What it was used for here was to force out some emotional closure for the characters.  

In Buffy it was the only way she could...

Finally admit to her friends that she felt like she was in hell on Earth, because they had pulled her out of heaven.

You are the dreamer, and the dream...