Star Trek: Strange New Worlds S2

What's Hot

Comments

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6040
    Seems very fitting they had Frakes directing that one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6040
    And in light of that bit of hero worship…..  <3

IMG_8368.jpeg 173.6K
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • khaotickhaotic Frets: 109
    Offset said:
    Offset said:
    Well E7 sorts out my evening viewing!
    Ditto.
    Conversely I tried S4 of Discovery the other evening as I'd given up on the earlier series'.  I lasted about 10 minutes - it's just utter tosh.

The early episodes of Disco s4 were really terrible, but it did get (a bit) better later, but it never really escapes from The Burham Show with unfeasible amounts of emoting all the way through
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12895
    edited July 2023
    Offset said:
    Oh dear. First shite episode.

* EDIT - I'd better expand on this but it's difficult without adding spoilers.  All I can say is that that the two 'guest' characters were intensely fecking irritating.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25050
    Offset said:
    Offset said:

* EDIT - I'd better expand on this but it's difficult without adding spoilers.  All I can say is that that the two 'guest' characters were intensely fecking irritating.
    I'm guessing you don't watch Lower Decks then?

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12811
    Offset said:
    Offset said:

Was going to say I love the guest characters, especially.

The totally fourth-wall breaking love of Uhura from Mariner, very obviously a thank you from black women everywhere for Nichelle Nichols blazing a trail in the 60s.  Hailing frequencies still open!

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    Offset said:
    Offset said:

Nope, but now the cartoon nonsense makes sense :-)

Doesn't make them any less irritating though.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28141
    edited July 2023
    Ok I'm only at the opening credits but so far it's *PERFECT*
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Yeah that was perfect unless you hate Lower Decks. 

@offset you probably won't like Lower Decks :D 
    Yeah that was perfect unless you hate Lower Decks. 

@offset you probably won't like Lower Decks :D 
    Agreed, but I take comfort from the fact that one weak episode of SNW has saved me the pain of enduring an episode of Lower Decks  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • khaotickhaotic Frets: 109
    Offset said:
    Offset said:

To counter-balance that - I fucking loved this episode, but then Lower Decks was a shining light in the wilderness years when only Discovery or the godawful s2 of Picard were on.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    khaotic said:
    Offset said:
    Offset said:

To counter-balance that - I fucking loved this episode, but then Lower Decks was a shining light in the wilderness years when only Discovery or the godawful s2 of Picard were on.
    Yep.  S2 of Picard was dire.  S3 on the other hand was wonderful.  Discovery - just no.
    khaotic said:
    Offset said:
    Offset said:

Yeah LD took me a little while but its heart is 100% Trek, just in a slightly more light-hearted setting. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    It took me a while to warm to LD as well.

But it's a million miles away from the worst of Trek.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    khaotic said:
    Offset said:
    Offset said:
    Ditto.
    Conversely I tried S4 of Discovery the other evening as I'd given up on the earlier series'.  I lasted about 10 minutes - it's just utter tosh.

The early episodes of Disco s4 were really terrible, but it did get (a bit) better later, but it never really escapes from The Burham Show with unfeasible amounts of emoting all the way through
    If Disco had been the Saru Show it could have been awesome. I don't blame S. Martin-Green for that at all - she didn't write the script.

The ship based Treks have always been based on the Captain with a strong supporting cast, and making it about Burnham didn't work. I actually suspect that if her character had still been written the same way, but in a support role it could have worked far better.

Trek often writes women very well (Unless Rick Berman is involved) so Burnham was a bit of a misfire even when the other female characters around her were written far better.

I tried to rewatch Disco to be ready for the final season but aside from a couple of Saru based episodes I just couldn't be bothered. It's the Trek equivalent of Prometheus. Amazing to look at, but an awful script.

I hope they find a way to get Saru into something else. Bit of time travel never hurt anyone!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    I've enjoyed all the new Trek.

At it's worst it's never been nearly as bad as Trek at it's very worst, and at it's best it's been damn nearly as good as Trek has ever been (except maybe for some of the legendary episodes).

Discovery is sooo, sooo far from the "worst" it isn't even funny.  I dare anyone to try and get through "Shades of Grey", "Code of Honor", "Justice" or the majority of the "Turd" season of TOS.

The absolute nadir of Star Trek though is "Turnabout Intruder" where it is identified that women cannot command starships because of their poor little brains.

At it's worst it's never been nearly as bad as Trek at it's very worst, and at it's best it's been damn nearly as good as Trek has ever been (except maybe for some of the legendary episodes).

Discovery is sooo, sooo far from the "worst" it isn't even funny.  I dare anyone to try and get through "Shades of Grey", "Code of Honor", "Justice" or the majority of the "Turd" season of TOS.

The absolute nadir of Star Trek though is "Turnabout Intruder" where it is identified that women cannot command starships because of their poor little brains.
    Yep. But it was shite regardless of that and an awful signoff for a generally wonderful programme.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Shades of Gray was so obviously a “we need to stretch the budget” episode done really badly.

Code of Honour was surprising even when it was released.

Offset said:

Yep. But it was shite regardless of that and an awful signoff for a generally wonderful programme.
    Oh yeah even horrible sexism aside it's a horrible piece of television, it's not terrible but funny like "Spock's Brain" or "And The Children Shall Lead..." - its just terrible.
    Shades of Gray was so obviously a “we need to stretch the budget” episode done really badly.

Code of Honour was surprising even when it was released.
    Yes quite, in both cases.

There is a genuine argument for taking "Code of Honor" out of circulation, as a bit like @offset said above about "Turnabout.." it's not just the terrible racism, it's also just... shit.