The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27139
    Yeah, if Lewis keeps on in current form he'll have it tied up more than a couple of races before the end - could be as early as the USA again if Seb doesn't reach the podium in Japan and there. 

I'm quite keen on @Heartfeltdawn's quali suggestion. I wouldn't give as many as 25 points, but you could make it 10 down to 1 - it might even let Williams get a point occasionally!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235
    I think remember back in the 80's or 90's drivers used to get an extra point for pole.
    Could be wrong mind
    edited October 2018
    Ham is having a very good time..

https://streamable.com/ok4rk
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1307
    I used to like super-pole.  One lap, max pressure, and as a viewer you get to watch the whole lap live.

Otherwise qualifying really is only an entertaining part of F1 because the racing itself can be so terminally dull sometimes.
  • ColsCols Frets: 7074
    rolls1392 said:
    I think remember back in the 80's or 90's drivers used to get an extra point for pole.
    Could be wrong mind
    Until 1959 you got a point for fastest lap.

Come thunder, come lightning.  Otherwise it’s going to be a very dull Sunday morning watching the Mercs scamper off into the distance.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Cols said:
    rolls1392 said:
    Could be wrong mind
    Until 1959 you got a point for fastest lap.

Come thunder, come lightning.  Otherwise it’s going to be a very dull Sunday morning watching the Mercs scamper off into the distance.
    Stay in bed me thinks ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    Ham is having a very good time..

https://streamable.com/ok4rk
    He’s in the form of his life.
    More mistakes from Ferrari ... looks like Arrivabene might be off to Juventus after all ... I can't see the board at Ferrari putting up with this for much longer.

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3399
    Cor, that was woeful from Ferrari :astonished: 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
  • I've always been a big Hamilton fan (not always a popular opinion), and I love to see him doing so well. However, even as a fan there's a big part of me that wishes Ferrari would buck their ideas up and actually put up a respectable fight.

The way they're going on at the minute it's like they're trying to hand the title to Lewis. I'd much rather see Lewis have to fight tooth and nail for the title rather than just cruise in his comfort zone. Whoever has been doing their strategy calls this season needs to be fired out of a cannon. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I've always been a big Hamilton fan (not always a popular opinion), and I love to see him doing so well. However, even as a fan there's a big part of me that wishes Ferrari would buck their ideas up and actually put up a respectable fight.

The way they're going on at the minute it's like they're trying to hand the title to Lewis. I'd much rather see Lewis have to fight tooth and nail for the title rather than just cruise in his comfort zone. Whoever has been doing their strategy calls this season needs to be fired out of a cannon. 
    Yep. It’s clear that Lewis deserves the title this year, but it’d be good to see him have to fight for it.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4933
    I've always been a big Hamilton fan (not always a popular opinion), and I love to see him doing so well. However, even as a fan there's a big part of me that wishes Ferrari would buck their ideas up and actually put up a respectable fight.

I think that Hamilton and Vettel are great characters - Vettel always comes out and speaks openly.

The Ferrari team themselves come across as a bit grumpy and insular, though.
  • DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3859
    edited October 2018
    prowla said:

The Ferrari team themselves come across as a bit grumpy and insular, though.
    I'd wanna be grumpy and insular too if I was making that much of a balls up of a title challenge!
    I suspect a Romanesque bloodbath at Ferrari after the season is over ... Arrivabene has to go. Too many mistakes boils down to bad leadership and organisation.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7509
    Vacancy : Strategist
    Employer: Scuderria Ferrari
    Applications: Invited in crayon or play-doh 
    Red ones are better. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lewismlewism Frets: 250
    Fretwired said:
    I suspect a Romanesque bloodbath at Ferrari after the season is over ... Arrivabene has to go. Too many mistakes boils down to bad leadership and organisation.
    Trouble is, they’ve been doing that every couple of years since the end of the Schumacher era and look where it’s got them. They’ve had a couple of years of relative stability and they’re closer to the title than they’ve been for ages. Throw it all up in the air again and they’ll be back racing against Red Bull for second again. Of course, this being Ferrari, heads will roll and they’ll be starting from scratch again.
    TimmyO said:
    What’s really bad is that their gamble gave them an upside if the rain had got worse, and also mad them the last guys out there with a clear track and dry tyres, but both drivers lOST it in the same place. 

They just all seem to be lacking in that killer last 1% that gives Mercedes the confidence they keep using to win again and again. 
    edited October 2018
    TimmyO said:
    What’s really bad is that their gamble gave them an upside if the rain had got worse, and also mad them the last guys out there with a clear track and dry tyres, but both drivers lOST it in the same place. 

They just all seem to be lacking in that killer last 1% that gives Mercedes the confidence they keep using to win again and again. 
    Mercedes screw up .. they just have good engineers (the car's now as fast as a Ferrari) and Hamilton. Vettel shoulders much of the blame for his error strewn races and quali performances. Hamilton's made no mistakes since the summer break. Therein lies a major difference between the teams.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12389
    Fretwired said:
    TimmyO said:

Mercedes screw up .. they just have good engineers (the car's now as fast as a Ferrari) and Hamilton. Vettel shoulders much of the blame for his error strewn races and quali performances. Hamilton's made no mistakes since the summer break. Therein lies a major difference between the teams.
    You beat me to it. Merc have made some monumental screw ups as well, just seems that Hamilton is on fire at the moment.