The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7520
    They've consistently been leaving Hamilton out for too long on worn tyres all season.  I really cannot fathom why.  As soon as that gap starts dropping they should bring him in.  I've lost count of the times I'm shouting "bring him in!" at the TV, all the while those valuable seconds vanish into thin air.

You've been wrong lots of times then :-) 

It's as much about the relative tyre age when you catch the other guy - if he'd stormed up to the back of Max while Max's tyres were even fresher than when he did, he'd have hd even less Chance of passing. As it was Max's tyre preservation was outstanding 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Merc's less Than perfect strategy was mostly first half of the season, after which Ferrari started being the dodgy ones. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    TimmyO said:
    They've consistently been leaving Hamilton out for too long on worn tyres all season.  I really cannot fathom why.  As soon as that gap starts dropping they should bring him in.  I've lost count of the times I'm shouting "bring him in!" at the TV, all the while those valuable seconds vanish into thin air.

It's as much about the relative tyre age when you catch the other guy - if he'd stormed up to the back of Max while Max's tyres were even fresher than when he did, he'd have hd even less Chance of passing. As it was Max's tyre preservation was outstanding 
    Had he pitted when the entire fucking world thought he should then LH would have excited the pits with Max on his gearbox but not infront.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Why is there an F1 race in Mexico? That was a yawn fest ... crappy tyres and car management. Bottas was lapped ... Hamilton looked like he was out for an afternoon drive ... he finished a minuted behind the winner.

Well done to Hamilton for winning the championship but the FIA need to look at F1 ... it's becoming a joke.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Have to agree with @Fretwired the last 10 laps looked like they have all slowed to about half speed.  For tyres not to last more that 8-9 laps is shocking.   Pleased for Hamilton that he's won the Championship, he deserved it for the work he has done earlier in the season, but not for this race.  Great to see Max winning and you have to feel for Daniel Ric for yet another failure.  

Fretwired said:
    Why is there an F1 race in Mexico? That was a yawn fest ... crappy tyres and car management. Bottas was lapped ... Hamilton looked like he was out for an afternoon drive ... he finished a minuted behind the winner.

Well done to Hamilton for winning the championship but the FIA need to look at F1 ... it's becoming a joke.
    You can’t expect 21 humdingers per season. It’s been an amazing season.
    Garthy said:
    Fretwired said:

You can’t expect 21 humdingers per season. It’s been an amazing season.
    If I'd paid to go and watch that I'd want my money back .. it was seriously poor. I don't give a stuff about the rest of the season. Each race needs to deliver some excitement. The problem was the tyres .. too fragile.  Bottas was lapped ... Hamilton was cruising ..

Not one of the 69 seasons has had fantastic races for the entire season through out, your expectations cannot be satisfied.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GuyRGuyR Frets: 1351
    Hamilton is great, possibly one of the best ever, but the greatest was Fangio. He didn't start a F1 race until a month before his 39th birthday, and still won 5 titles.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27141
    GuyR said:
    Hamilton is great, possibly one of the best ever, but the greatest was Fangio. He didn't start a F1 race until a month before his 39th birthday, and still won 5 titles.
    Obviously he was great, but any comparison is moot. Fangio couldn't do what the likes of Hamilton and Schumacher have, and they couldn't do what he did either.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    Was the track made of broken glass and sandpaper? Jeez, the state of those tyres!!

Well done Lewis, hard luck Danny Ric. I hope he’s made the right decision moving over to Renault and the engine problems don’t follow him there.  :/
    Many of the teams are unhappy at racing in Mexico with hybrid cars - the turbo is working overtime and the heat screwed the tyres. You could see Hamilton and Bottas were saving their engines for the last two races as the constructors championship is still up for grabs.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    How about we give the perpetual whiners their own F1-whining thread? 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    In the case of Mexico I think they have a point. Max had his engine turned down but Vettel couldn't catch him as his tyres were on the way out. Not a great place to race - heat and high altitude.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27141
    The problem isn't Mexico, it's cheese tyres and shit engine regs. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    The problem isn't Mexico, it's cheese tyres and shit engine regs. 
    Agreed but its too late to change those. Scratch Mexico and go somewhere else.

• GuyRGuyR Frets: 1351
    GuyR said:
    Obviously he was great, but any comparison is moot. Fangio couldn't do what the likes of Hamilton and Schumacher have, and they couldn't do what he did either.
    You are quite right, of course, just got irritated listening to radio 5 this morning banging on about LH being the best ever. The real question is what the hell was I doing listening to radio 5? Must get a grip.
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1307
    GuyR said:
    I think it's more likely that in fair comparisons Hamilton is better in the Fangio era than Fangio is in the Hamilton era.

Fretwired said:
    TimmyO said:
    In the case of Mexico I think they have a point. Max had his engine turned down but Vettel couldn't catch him as his tyres were on the way out. Not a great place to race - heat and high altitude.
    lol @ "they" :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    Garthy said:
    TimmyO said:

Had he pitted when the entire fucking world thought he should then LH would have excited the pits with Max on his gearbox but not infront.
    Thank you Garthy, at least there's someone on my wavelength.  Perhaps a graph will make it easier to understand for the others.

Lewis assumes the lead on lap 22 when Raikkonen pits.  He maintains a gap of 18 seconds to Raikkonen until lap 30, when his tyres start to go off.

What the team do is cause him to lose 10 of his 18 second lead by leaving him out on increasingly worn tyres.  The only reason for this is the presumed advantage of fresher tyres at the end of the race.  However as he pits he is passed by Verstappen and the useless Bottas as well as Raikkonen and uses up all his tyre advantage making up those 10 lost seconds to the lead pair, by which time, as we saw, there is no advantage left and he cannot pass Verstappen, let alone Raikkonen.

If, as I suggest, they had brought Hamilton in *immediately* his tyres show the first signs of deg on lap 30, he would have been on the tail of Raikkonen when he left the pits, and Verstappen would have still been behind him.  And on 16 laps fresher tyres he would have had a fighting chance of passing Raikkonen for the win.

Pretty self-explanatory.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom