The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• markr76markr76 Frets: 410
    sinbaadi said:
    markr76 said:
    We just had our race debrief at work (and champagne.) they said that even if red bull had pit for new tyres they still didn’t have the raw pace to beat Hamilton. Our car was just a shade quicker round there. Plus it was managing the tyres nicely. Where the red bull was a bit harder on its tyres. Plus Hamilton had the bit between his teeth after last weekends shambles!

Are you not in breach of NDA's galore by talking about any of the content of a team debrief?
    (Even if it is generic and vague).
    I didn’t say anything that wasn’t said after the race on tv. I wouldn’t give any info that’s important. I never give out the really interesting material. Maybe calling it team brief is the wrong term. Staff race debrief is a better term.

Maybe you’re right though. Maybe I should just stay away from this thread in future!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10884
    markr76 said:
    sinbaadi said:
    markr76 said:
    We just had our race debrief at work (and champagne.) they said that even if red bull had pit for new tyres they still didn’t have the raw pace to beat Hamilton. Our car was just a shade quicker round there. Plus it was managing the tyres nicely. Where the red bull was a bit harder on its tyres. Plus Hamilton had the bit between his teeth after last weekends shambles!

Are you not in breach of NDA's galore by talking about any of the content of a team debrief?
    I didn’t say anything that wasn’t said after the race on tv. I wouldn’t give any info that’s important. I never give out the really interesting material. Maybe calling it team brief is the wrong term. Staff race debrief is a better term.

Maybe you’re right though. Maybe I should just stay away from this thread in future!
    Please don't, it's really interesting to here things from an insiders perspective. 

Enjoyed all your posts up to now. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23145
    markr76 said:
    Well the Ferrari doesn’t corner as well as our car or the Red bull. They are super quick on the straights. Budapest is pretty much like a glorified karting track. Just 1 corner after the other!

They'll be a real threat at spa and monza I’d guess.
    The pressure on Vettel at Monza is going to be huge this year. A car that's built for straights, home race, Leclerc champing at the bit... 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    markr76 said:
    Well the Ferrari doesn’t corner as well as our car or the Red bull. They are super quick on the straights. Budapest is pretty much like a glorified karting track. Just 1 corner after the other!

The pressure on Vettel at Monza is going to be huge this year. A car that's built for straights, home race, Leclerc champing at the bit... 

I would very much like for that to be Charles' first win.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8094
    markr76 said:

But would you bet on it over a Ferrari strategy implosion ? 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    markr76 said:

But would you bet on it over a Ferrari strategy implosion ? 
    :D 

Lol. No, of course not! 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 3026
    markr76 said:
    sinbaadi said:
    markr76 said:

Please don't, it's really interesting to here things from an insiders perspective. 

Enjoyed all your posts up to now. 

Wholeheartedly agree.  @markr76  Its really good to have your view from inside the team, limitation on content are clearly understood and accepted but your enthusiasm when you get a win is a joy to behold.  Please keep it up when you can.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Gasly out

Albon to Red Bull 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    Gasly out

Albon to Red Bull 
    [surprised pikachu]
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Albon was 3rd in F2 last season seven points behind Norris in 2nd, both of whom being way off George Russell's final tally of 287. Had Norris and Russell not been pretty decent in F1 this year, I don't think RB would have gone for this. He's defintely worth a punt. 

Don't discount RB chewing Albon up and spitting him out at the end of the season. Their meatgrinder isn't the most efficient driver program around
    Red ones are better. 
  • ColsCols Frets: 7702
    edited August 2019
    I predict Albon will fare no better.

Red Bull have painted themselves into a corner with their dogged determination to recruit only from within their own driver development programme.  The cupboard’s bare.
    Was Gasly doing that bad?  Seems a harsh decision.

• PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3434
    edited August 2019
    Was Gasly doing that bad? 
    Yes. Really yes. 
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    PC_Dave said:
    Yes. Really yes. 
    He's currently 6th in the championship with albon way down.  Those above him are his teammate, the two Ferrari's and the Mercedes.  Not sure he could be doing much more.   Im more surprised that Kubica is beating Russel.

PC_Dave said:
    Yes. Really yes. 
    He's currently 6th in the championship with albon way down.  Those above him are his teammate, the two Ferrari's and the Mercedes.  Not sure he could be doing much more.   Im more surprised that Kubica is beating Russel.
    Russell's outqualified him in every race this season and been ahead of him in all bar one race. 

Russell's accumulated finishing position over 12 races: 186/12 = 15.5
    Kubica's accumulated finishing position over 12 races = 202/12 = 16.8

So in terms of points Kubica is beating Russell but in terms of everything else on the track, GR all the way. 

And hey, no retirements from either of them. Williams must be bloody happy with the comparative lack of repair bill since the Maldonado days. 

PC_Dave said:
    Yes. Really yes. 
    True, but Max has 5 podiums including 2 wins and a pole, while Gasly has a single 4th and one 5h as his best results. 

It it could be that the car is actually quite hard to drive but Max has the knack for it, in which case we’ll see quickly depending on Albon’s performance. 

I cant see them dumping either driver from the RB stable though - they simply don’t have enough junior drives to fill another gap
    PC_Dave said:
    Yes. Really yes. 
    It's where he's been finishing - his inability to score to the points potential of the car is a big problem. It's been a thing for a good while but the team have waited until even the mainstream sports media are making noise about it - ie until the investors in fizzy drinks companies start complaining
    Red ones are better. 
  • ColsCols Frets: 7702
    Unfortunately he was.  He’s an excellent driver, but he was getting lapped by his teammate and fighting with the Toro Rossos.  

Since he stepped up to the senior team he’s been under a huge amount of pressure - Marko’s been gunning for him, the expectation was that he’ll match Verstappen and it hasn’t happened.

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone as woeful at man management as Helmut Marko.  14 years of drivers through the Red Bull mincer, and only Vettel, Ricciardo and Verstappen have survived with their dignity intact.  That’s a hell of a rate of attrition.
    Cols said:
    Unfortunately he was.  He’s an excellent driver, but he was getting lapped by his teammate and fighting with the Toro Rossos.  

Since he stepped up to the senior team he’s been under a huge amount of pressure - Marko’s been gunning for him, the expectation was that he’ll match Verstappen and it hasn’t happened.

I don’t think I’ve seen anyone as woeful at man management as Helmut Marko.  14 years of drivers through the Red Bull mincer, and only Vettel, Ricciardo and Verstappen have survived with their dignity intact.  That’s a hell of a rate of attrition.
    To be fair JEV has won just about everything he’s done post-F1. Not that it’s any of Marko’s doing. Dumping him and Alguesuari at the same time was the madness that started the path they currently find themselves on.