The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• ColsCols Frets: 7702
    TimmyO said:
    actually did JV drive for them? I know his dad did 
    Nope; Williams and then off to BAR to get paid an awful lot for achieving very little.  Followed by a few unsuccessful seasons in Renault and Sauber.

An exciting driver to watch, but an arrogant and unpleasant individual outside the cockpit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8094
    edited July 2019
    Cols said:
    TimmyO said:
    actually did JV drive for them? I know his dad did 
    Nope; Williams and then off to BAR to get paid an awful lot for achieving very little.  Followed by a few unsuccessful seasons in Renault and Sauber.

An exciting driver to watch, but an arrogant and unpleasant individual outside the cockpit.
    I lumo him and Eddie Ervinein together - never really liked them as drivers but both came across well when interviewed as ex drivers 
    Red ones are better. 
    Can’t say a word against Eddie Irvine.  He’s from Northern Ireland like me, and as everybody knows we all get along famously there.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    Looks like Ferrari are running right at the edge of performance again to try and beat the Mercedes and stay ahead of Red Bull. Cost them reliability as a result, however I think that first Q3 lap from Lewis was probably unbeatable. Should be a decent race hopefully. Some rain would be nice!

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Boromedic said:
    Looks like Ferrari are running right at the edge of performance again to try and beat the Mercedes and stay ahead of Red Bull. Cost them reliability as a result, however I think that first Q3 lap from Lewis was probably unbeatable. Should be a decent race hopefully. Some rain would be nice!
    I disagree. Vettel had an issue with the airflow to the turbo while Leclerc had a fuel related issue - view around the paddock is its a lack of attention to detail. According to F1 engineers Vettel's issue is probably down to a loose nut or faulty valve. Basic stuff.

I'm pretty sure Leclerc would have been on pole had he been able to run. Ferrari would have tuned their engine up and he'd been on fire all weekend - clearly faster than Hamilton.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5201
    Lewis has been under the weather, Merc seem to run their cars lean in practice these days I've noticed. Perhaps due to mileage or not wanting to stress the engines too much with the stricter regs. I'm sure it would've been pretty close without Ferraris mechanical woes. I'm not convinced Charles would've smashed it as much as the hype suggested, Lewis was faster than him in Q2 on the medium compound. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    Another day, another Ferrari fucking themselves in the foot... Noone's perfect, but Mercedes might as well be, while Ferrari seem be going in the opposite direction. Have they had a single race this season where they didn't make an obvious error?

What was it Prost said after leaving? Words to the effect of, "from the outside it's amazing they don't win more often, from the inside it's amazing they win at all..."? 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5105
    Well, the Fezzas seem to have stuffed themselves again...
    IT'S RAINING IN GERMANY... 

Hoping we'll see a masterclass in wet driving from someone. Seb? Charles? Lando? ...Lance? :D 
    Absolutely gutted for Charles (AGAIN), but I’m looking at this on lap 31 and Hulk is friggin second so I’m happy for now. 

How many more batshit spins & overtakes I. The remaining 32 laps..??!!
    Absolutely gutted for Charles (AGAIN), but I’m looking at this on lap 31 and Hulk is friggin second so I’m happy for now. 

How many more batshit spins & overtakes I. The remaining 32 laps..??!!
    Ahh shit. :(
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Not that it had any bearing on the result but I'm surprised they penalised Hamilton for the pit entry thing 

Poor Norris can't catch a break 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Was Toto having a subtle pop at the distractions of the team's celebrations and costumes in his post race interview? 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    Was Toto having a subtle pop at the distractions of the team's celebrations and costumes in his post race interview? 
    I don’t think it was remotely subtle!!
    What a fantastic race.  I’m not normally a fan of Verstappen, but he’s undeniably something special in the wet.

Vettel certainly earned his money today; last to second was an incredible drive.  There were so many times I thought he was going to get his front wing wiped off, but he drove with discipline and carved through the field.

Bottas, sadly, wasn’t there to pick up the pieces when it all fell to bits for Hamilton.  He really didn’t look in a position to challenge Max or Lewis.

Gasly’s season continues to be a disaster.  I don’t doubt his talent, but he’s crumbling under the mental pressure.  Frankly, the only thing that’s saving his drive at the minute is the lack of any talent in the Red Bull programme to fill a gap in moving Kvyat or Albon up.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12882
    What were the Merc pit crew doing? Never seen such a shambles. Did Hamilton get called in or was it his own decision? Didn’t seem like they were expecting him at all. 
    boogieman said:
    What were the Merc pit crew doing? Never seen such a shambles. Did Hamilton get called in or was it his own decision? Didn’t seem like they were expecting him at all. 
    he wasn't meant to be coming in - then he had a spin and damaged his wing - he happened to be right by the pit entrance so came in - they weren't expecting him for tyres let alone a wing 
    Red ones are better. 
    interesting that Bottas said the team had been telling hm to push before his off - it's almost like Mercedes were trying to run the race as though they were still expecting to win - rather than respond to what was actually happening in front of them - the result being no points. 

I'd have put money on Vettel being the one to cave and make mistakes in the wet (compared to Hamilton) so fair play to the fella. He's still a gimp though. 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    boogieman said:
    he wasn't meant to be coming in - then he had a spin and damaged his wing - he happened to be right by the pit entrance so came in - they weren't expecting him for tyres let alone a wing 
    Ah that makes sense, I’d assumed he was coming in for tyres anyway and spun on the way in. 
    I’ve noticed something really annoying over the last few races. A car goes to overtake and then before the move’s completed the director pulls away to a shot of the crowd going crazy, rather than show what’s going on on-track. You then have to wait for the replay to see it properly.  :p must admit I’m watching it in poverty mode on C4, don’t know if it’s any different in the live Sky coverage?