The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited August 2019

PC_Dave said:
    Was Gasly doing that bad? 
    Yes. Really yes. 
    I think that's harsh. As a team Red Bull is setup for Vestappen that's why Ricciardo left - he's a different driver and would have been struggling in a car that's designed for a hustler like Vestappen - it's possibly why Bottas started well and is struggling. Mercedes latest updates could have favoured Hamilton. I didn't think this sort of thing happened until I saw a vid on YouTube about car development.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    Fretwired said:

PC_Dave said:
    Yes. Really yes. 
    I think that's harsh. As a team Red Bull is setup for Vestappen that's why Ricciardo left - he's a different driver and would have been struggling in a car that's designed for a hustler like Vestappen - it's possibly why Bottas started well and is struggling. Mercedes latest updates could have favoured Hamilton. I didn't think this sort of thing happened until I saw a vid on YouTube about car development.
    Yes, but he wasn't even beating the Toro Rossos half the time, and hardly scoring any decent points. I'd say it's well worth the switch to allow the team to find out whether it's actually Pierre who isn't up to it, or just a really tricky car that happens to be dynamite for Verstappen's driving style but no-one else's. 

If they had in-season testing they'd be able to get a much better picture.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Fretwired said:

PC_Dave said:
    Yes. Really yes. 
    Yes, but he wasn't even beating the Toro Rossos half the time, and hardly scoring any decent points. I'd say it's well worth the switch to allow the team to find out whether it's actually Pierre who isn't up to it, or just a really tricky car that happens to be dynamite for Verstappen's driving style but no-one else's. 

If they had in-season testing they'd be able to get a much better picture.
    But if the car doesn't suit your driving style you're not going to have the confidence to push ... as you say lets see how Albon does.

Did anyone else see the MotoGP?! The last 8 laps were astonishing (despite being 30s a lap slower than F1...)

Basically the entire second half of this highlights vid.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8094
    edited August 2019
    Red ones are better. 
    Does that mean Hulk & Kmag at Haas? That won't be any easier to manage than their current pairing. Or do they ditch both for being a pain and get someone else? 

And Ocon at Renault - will he still be a "Mercedes guy", or dropped now they have Russell on a more manageable timeline? 
    Pretty sure there'll be a spare seat at Williams to partner Russell.

• ColsCols Frets: 7702
    Fretwired said:
    Pretty sure there'll be a spare seat at Williams to partner Russell.
    Needs someone with financial backing, most likely Lafiti.
    Marcus Ericsson has been yanked out of this weekend’s Indycar race by Alfa Romeo to attend Spa instead.  Multiple rumours of him a) replacing Raikkonen for the weekend due to family/medical issues b) replacing Giovinazzi permanently due to being blown into the weeds by Raikkonen every weekend c) FP1 run to evaluate him for a 2020 comeback.

Most likely a or b, it would be a bit of an ask to make him miss a whole race weekend just for an FP1 run.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3434
    Bottas confirmed for another season....
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    That’s the game of musical chairs kicked off then.  Who’s going to be left without a seat at the end of it?
    I hope Ocon gets a drive but I don't want Hulk to lose out. 

If I were Gunther I'd be replacing both current drivers and trying to hire both Ocon and Hulk. Maybe he is, for all we know, though I assume both drivers would want the Renault seat. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Ericson was in for at least FP1 to test whether Giovanazzi is actually shite or if Kimi is really just brilliant still, with the carrot of a seat next year if he looks quick enough 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I hope Ocon gets a drive but I don't want Hulk to lose out. 

That's what's happening.
    It’s widely believed that Sweary Gunther phoned Gene Haas after the British GP and asked for permission to sack them both.

Magnussen and Grosjean have a poisonous on-track relationship, and frankly it’s never going to get better.  For my money the root cause is Magnussen - he seems to have that mentality shared by Verstappen, Hamilton, Vettel and Perez that a team mate is nothing more than another competitor to be shoved out of the way.
    Over time, Grosjean has learned to respond in kind.

Bring in another team mate alongside KMag and you’ll have the same issue, unless the performance disparity between them is large enough that they’re seldom scrambling for the same piece of tarmac.  Grosjean and A.N. Other might have a more harmonious relationship.

On the other hand, Magnussen is generally faster and is outscoring Grosjean, who hasn’t lost the habit of making embarrassing mistakes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cols said:
    It’s widely believed that Sweary Gunther phoned Gene Haas after the British GP and asked for permission to sack them both.

Magnussen and Grosjean have a poisonous on-track relationship, and frankly it’s never going to get better.  For my money the root cause is Magnussen - he seems to have that mentality shared by Verstappen, Hamilton, Vettel and Perez that a team mate is nothing more than another competitor to be shoved out of the way.
    Over time, Grosjean has learned to respond in kind.

Bring in another team mate alongside KMag and you’ll have the same issue, unless the performance disparity between them is large enough that they’re seldom scrambling for the same piece of tarmac.  Grosjean and A.N. Other might have a more harmonious relationship.

On the other hand, Magnussen is generally faster and is outscoring Grosjean, who hasn’t lost the habit of making embarrassing mistakes.
    Completely agree, hence my suggestion to fire both! 

I like Grosjean a lot, but he makes too many mistakes and frankly don’t quick enough often enough. And K-Mag, while entertaining, has all the elbows out of a “2017 Verstappen” without only about 75% of the talent. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    PC_Dave said:
    That was a certainty when Fretwired said he was going to get the bullet.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Cols said:
    Magnussen and Grosjean have a poisonous on-track relationship, and frankly it’s never going to get better.  
    Completely agree, hence my suggestion to fire both! 

I like Grosjean a lot, but he makes too many mistakes and frankly don’t quick enough often enough. And K-Mag, while entertaining, has all the elbows out of a “2017 Verstappen” without only about 75% of the talent. 
    Yeah, I have to agree.  KMag is fast and gets points, but how many more might the team have with a slightly slower driver who doesn’t nerf his team mate off so often?
    Garthy said:
    PC_Dave said:
    That was a certainty when Fretwired said he was going to get the bullet.
    Wolff lost his bottle .. they'll regret it. I think that says more about Hamilton's power in the team. He likes Bottas - no serious competition. I can see Vestappen beating Bottas on a regular basis along with Vettel if he and Ferrari can get their act together. I still say Bottas is average. He's no Rosberg.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Räikkönen has a gammy leg (suspect he’s done something daft while on holiday), and is planning on seeing how it feels in FP1 before making a decision on whether to race. That explains Ericsson’s presence.