The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10417

Was sure I'd just watched someone die there. I felt physically sick until I saw Grosjean walk away.

Incredible escape. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4640
    Holy shitballs!! That was a big explosion
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fucking hell. I'm very glad Romain seems to be ok. Biggest crash I've ever seen in 30 years watching F1, and by some margin. From the looks of the wreckage his car's nose split the barrier in half width-ways and the halo pushed it up and over him.  

They need to cancel today's race and replace every one of those barriers. And while it's amazing that Grosjean seems to be mostly ok you've got to ask serious questions of the Haas chassis. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • You can see the Halo lodged there in the barrier. Wow. 

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10417

How he survived that, let alone walked away, god only knows. The front of the car was destroyed. I'm with Sticky. I've been watching F1 for forty years and that's the worst crash I've seen. 

If I was Grosjean, I'd be retiring right now. You don't get the chance at walking away from something like that twice. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Well they're going back for the restart. I can't help wondering whether the new concrete barrier is better or worse, and why they're happy to race with whichever is the lesser option. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27833
    edited November 2020
    Bloody hell Lance. He seems ok...

EDIT: RB should get Perez in now. Dump Kvyat and put Sergio in the AT. If he matches Gasly put him in the RB next year.
  • Grosjean looking to win Driver of the Day on Sky F1. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5606
    Kin ell ... Impact measured at 53G.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1466
    DiscoStu said:
    Blimey. I suspect the Hans neck tether thing saved him, as well as the halo.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    Suppose the barrier fitter will be invited for a 'meeting with no biscuits'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4218
    Still a suspiciously large fire considering the fuel cut off valves and fuel cells design . I think there might be some serious investigation into the structural integrity of the HAAS tub 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33989
    edited November 2020
    FUCKING HELL!

(I just saw the highlights).
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1466
    AFAIK, Grosjean doesn't have any drive for next year.  I wouldn't blame him if that's it for him now.

He's a fucking lucky boy indeed.  I've not felt that sick wathing motorsport since Simoncelli died.  So happy to see him get out, him struggling to get out if his car looked like F1 in the 70's.
  • Dodge said:
    DiscoStu said:
    53G!!!! Wow, amazed that’s survivable, surely the internal organs would be seriously damaged by that?
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6308
    Dodge said:
    DiscoStu said:
    53G!!!! Wow, amazed that’s survivable, surely the internal organs would be seriously damaged by that?

I used to have a girlfriend who insisted I have a wee before every car trip. She'd been to some safety lecture where the paramedic had warned that a loaded bladder can come adrift in an accident. I was skeptical, but did as I was told for an easy life.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2958
    edited November 2020
    I watched the race live on Sky but sat in stunned silence for a long time.  First believing I had seen a drivers death, and then in utter amazement that I hadn't.  I don't understand how you walk away from a 53G crash, let alone remain conscious enough to crawl out of a fireball.  He's a very lucky man. 

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1348
    edited November 2020
    53g seems a lot but isn't really in the grand scheme of motorsports crashes, it wasn't like he ran into an immovable object.   It's not sustained, it's the briefest of peaks, and there have been many (survived) recorded crashes at +100g, as crazy as it seems.

The scariest things here were head injury potential, the fire, and the fact that the Haas got chopped the fuck in half!
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12521
    Holy crap, Grosjean was lucky to get out of that alive. Worst crash I’ve seen since Senna died. If the halo wasn’t there he could’ve been decapitated. You do have to wonder what he was doing just cutting across to the right like that.