Best laugh I've had in years, Murphy lab refinish

What's Hot

Comments

• DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    edited February 20 tFB Trader
    TDubs said:
    WezV said:
    We really need a gaffa tape pulling comparison with a pre-ML custom shop and an original 59.  Anyone got some they are willing to try it on ;)

I’ve got one but it’s currently being refinished by the Murphy Lab team 
    Did they use the special gaffa tape, sorry if this isn't funny to you.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1960
    Aside from the finish falling off, the finish on the body looks totally ridiculous. It just looks horrible. 

I tried a recent Murphy Lab with a finish like this and it felt awful in the hand, really nasty and rough. I like relics, but finishes like this are total bullshit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TDubsTDubs Frets: 721
    TDubs said:
    WezV said:
    We really need a gaffa tape pulling comparison with a pre-ML custom shop and an original 59.  Anyone got some they are willing to try it on ;)

I’ve got one but it’s currently being refinished by the Murphy Lab team 
    Did they use the special gaffa tape, sorry if this isn't funny to you.
    They told me they were putting the gaffa on the job but I thought by that, they meant Tom and not tape. 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5349
    Can’t help but feel for the folks that bought one, @Wazmeister , you had any issues with yours?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7222
    Murphy Lab = A fool and his money, etc 
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7441
    edited February 20
    My LP Custom got a little nick in it and now you can peel the paint off the back like it's a sticker. You can just see bare mahogany underneath.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • notsopronotsopro Frets: 235
    The reason why I just said I'm not interested in any other Murphys is because you're very typical in the we can't bash them camp, I just had to tell a guy on Facebook who wouldn't leave my post alone that I'll remove any more comments because he refuses to accept things like this are not ok.

Can we talk about the 3 Yr old tribute then who gibson won't accept responsibility for the finish falling off.
    Have you even read my comments? or have you read what you wanted to read? You're more than welcome to 'bash' on Gibson all you want, I simply said context was important, because it clearly is, you've just decided that because someone questions your point they must be on team Gibson and therefore the enemy. You've reiterated the point again there, you'll remove his comments on facebook if doesn't agree with you... well this isn't your facebook page, and people can ask questions of your views. The stupid thing here is I don't even think it's right that the guitar in question can have it's finished taken of that easily, all I did is dare suggest some context may be key. 

I'd be more than happy to say a 3 year old guitar having finish falling off is not acceptable, however I'd prefer to engage in that conversation with someone who didn't tell me I was a typical x or typical y because I didn't agree with them. 

Bashing on a company for how they conduct themselves, then suggesting I'm a typical Gibson fanboy because I dare suggest more of the story could be shared. All on an account named after your company... Alanis Morissette had that song... what was it???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 20reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12562
    I think I'll just draw comfort from the fact this is the first time I've seen a guitar get a back, sack 'n' crack.
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    notsopro said:
    The reason why I just said I'm not interested in any other Murphys is because you're very typical in the we can't bash them camp, I just had to tell a guy on Facebook who wouldn't leave my post alone that I'll remove any more comments because he refuses to accept things like this are not ok.

Can we talk about the 3 Yr old tribute then who gibson won't accept responsibility for the finish falling off.
    Have you even read my comments? or have you read what you wanted to read? You're more than welcome to 'bash' on Gibson all you want, I simply said context was important, because it clearly is, you've just decided that because someone questions your point they must be on team Gibson and therefore the enemy. You've reiterated the point again there, you'll remove his comments on facebook if doesn't agree with you... well this isn't your facebook page, and people can ask questions of your views. The stupid thing here is I don't even think it's right that the guitar in question can have it's finished taken of that easily, all I did is dare suggest some context may be key. 

I'd be more than happy to say a 3 year old guitar having finish falling off is not acceptable, however I'd prefer to engage in that conversation with someone who didn't tell me I was a typical x or typical y because I didn't agree with them. 

Bashing on a company for how they conduct themselves, then suggesting I'm a typical Gibson fanboy because I dare suggest more of the story could be shared. All on an account named after your company... Alanis Morissette had that song... what was it???
    I think you need to re read imo, I'm not bashing anything apart from this finish, context has nothing to do with it unless you find this acceptable, I do not simple as that, apparently I'm not aloud this opinion according to some people, already had one guy say I shouldn't of posted it up, I think as my business of refinishing goes this is part of my work, just like you'll see all the other refinishing I've done on my Instagram, I only got backlash from this one.

BTW I didn't say anything about a typical this or that merely stated about those guitars.

It's fine if you don't agree, we'll see what others think soon enough.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9727
    mgaw said:
    Can’t help but feel for the folks that bought one, @Wazmeister , you had any issues with yours?
    I can only speak from my limited, but recent, experience.

I've played several of the ML now - mainly 335s.

Mine is an exceptional guitar, and indeed, probably the best Ive owned. The sound and finish are excellent.

It really is an amazing instrument. So I don't feel I have to justify or defend it =) Maybe I just got lucky...The OP is reporting his findings and that's fair enough. It does look like an unusually heavy relic too.

YMMV etc etc.

0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • notsopronotsopro Frets: 235
    edited February 20
    notsopro said:

I think you need to re read imo, I'm not bashing anything apart from this finish, context has nothing to do with it unless you find this acceptable, I do not simple as that, apparently I'm not aloud this opinion according to some people, already had one guy say I shouldn't of posted it up, I think as my business of refinishing goes this is part of my work, just like you'll see all the other refinishing I've done on my Instagram, I only got backlash from this one.

BTW I didn't say anything about a typical this or that merely stated about those guitars.

It's fine if you don't agree, we'll see what others think soon enough.
    "you're very typical in the we can't bash them camp" - you literally said this? In relation to me, so you did. I don't think it's on you to tell me I'm typical this or typical that because you don't think I have a point.

What do I need to re-read then? you suggested I'm very typical for being in the cant bash them camp.. therefore you're suggesting that you're not in that camp and think it's ok to 'bash' them. Which you are more than welcome to, I personally never actually suggested I thought it was acceptable did I?  Context to me is important, if you are removing a finish from a guitar which the manufacturer has acknowledged there was an issue with, that a customer at some point could have returned to said manufacturer and had re-finished at no cost, or was offered a refund but chose not to take it, I don't think it's as big of an issue as if that same company had said 'we've fixed this issue, here's our new batch' and you get one in that's 6 months old with the same issue. Should the issue of happened in the first place, no, obviously not, should we be as hard on them if they did everything to fix it and solved the issue, no.. so again.. context being key. 

I'm not sure what others think again has got to do with it.. you're suggesting others will disagree when you don't even know what I think, you've presumed you know what I think. If we want to judge on what others think, as soon as I said 'context is key' GoldenEraGuitars quoted that and suggested it is, and referenced they believed it to be a newer guitar, which if it is, I agree is totally unacceptable as Gibson have known about this issue for a while. So are they wrong for suggesting context plays a part too? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • euaneuan Frets: 1671
    The context is moot when as I said earlier, Tom Murphy said multiple time post finish recall that paint falling off the relic’d guitars was a feature not a fault. 

If the paint has a stronger bond to tape rather than a prepared surface it has cured(or not) on then there is a severe fault with that paint and the techniques they are using. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9642
    edited February 20
    Nobody in their right mind can justify that. However, I’m not sure I’d laugh at someone with the misfortune to be having to spend lots of money to rectify an expensive guitar. Nobody knows the person’s circumstances - it could have been a special birthday, something they’d saved for years for or even purchased on finance.
    For balance though, I purchased a Murphy 64 335 for. Peach. The paint starting falling off. I contacted peach who spoke to Gibson for me. Gibson apologised profusely and asked me to return the guitar to peach for a full refund, the cost of which of course they covered.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7365
    edited February 20
    Edit - deleted as it sounds like the OP has had a rethink
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 23reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1025
    But it says “Made in USA” so it must be good. No?  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Danielsguitars just wondering if you have thought through how you might come across here, laughing away whilst revealing the finish problem on that very expensive Gibson may appeal to some

to others it may, especially those who have invested a lot of money in one etc, come across in pretty poor taste, why not just explain how shit you think it is and be angry at the “rip off”

Some may interpret all this as being tinged with bitterness and a bit mean.

i wouldn’t buy a guitar off you after this thread

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 27reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    Honestly and sorry if this upsets anyone on here but to me it feels distasteful for one professional to bash another professionals work even someone as high profile as Tom Murphy.

We know what great work Dan and Scott do , I  think it’s plenty good enough that it doesn’t need to be explicitly compared to that of Gibson / Fender. 

I know some people will say it’s just a case of exposing some shoddy methods so people don’t get sucked in by hype but it leaves a sour taste for me at least.

Feel free to disagree with me , I’m not here to argue just give an opinion.
    Just to be clear, I have no dog in this fight and I also haven’t bashed anyone (as far as I can see)? 
    mgaw said:
    @Danielsguitars just wondering if you have thought through how you might come across here, laughing away whilst revealing the finish problem on that very expensive Gibson may appeal to some

to others it may, especially those who have invested a lot of money in one etc, come across in pretty poor taste, why not just explain how shit you think it is and be angry at the “rip off”

mgaw said:

I'd laugh if my finish fell off like this then I'd have the decency to refinish it, unlike Gibson at the time, let me know if you want to see the before and after pics.

As for professional, I post my work up all the time, I show me making from scratch etc, this is no different and it genuinely made me laugh, I went to my friends funeral last Friday, someone I've known nearly 30 years and this was a nice chuckle.

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    edited February 20
    Still don’t see what’s funny about laughing at others misfortunes and indeed fellow professionals fuck ups. 

Anyway it’s up to you what you post
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 198
    Remeber the old saying - Murphy's Lab - anything that can go wrong, probably will.
    13reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.