Best laugh I've had in years, Murphy lab refinish

What's Hot

Comments

• chris78chris78 Frets: 9642
    I’ve seen a lot of people asking about what the originals would have done.
    Anyone fancy lending me their 59 so I can put gaffer tape on the neck and see what happens with the finish? Doesn’t have to a burst. I’ll have a crack at a 59 junior if that’s all anyone can manage
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11777
    tFB Trader
    DefaultM said:
    And no, every time I go see my friend for something doing I spend minimum 60 minutes being shown expensive guitars he's got in that were 'a bag of shit' and how he's improved them. He talks like that to everyone because he's angry they've paid so much for what he sees as not up to the price. 
    It took me back a bit 20 years ago when I first met him, but he's backed it up time and again.
    A good luthier is usually a bit of a nutcase, and if you want to learn from them or even just continue receiving their work you need to learn to nod along.
    Luthiers & techs - I think that we are all a bit different to each other, and that somehow I must either be a bit of an outlier or missed the day at college when the grumpy conditioning was handed out. I certainly know quite a few gifted luthiers who are by their own admission are not "people persons".

Maybe years working in telephone sales and customer service departments drilled having a sunny disposition into me (lol), although  can certainly get pee'd off just like anyone if someone pushes my boundaries too far or wears out their welcome .

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 726
    DefaultM said:
    And no, every time I go see my friend for something doing I spend minimum 60 minutes being shown expensive guitars he's got in that were 'a bag of shit' and how he's improved them. He talks like that to everyone because he's angry they've paid so much for what he sees as not up to the price. 
    It took me back a bit 20 years ago when I first met him, but he's backed it up time and again.
    A good luthier is usually a bit of a nutcase, and if you want to learn from them or even just continue receiving their work you need to learn to nod along.
    Na, fuck that. My moneys always going to go to someone who’s humble, rather than someone who has to tell you how good they are. Life’s too short to deal with wankers, especially ones you bloody pay. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12562
    FelineGuitars said:

...although I can certainly get pee'd off just like anyone if someone pushes my boundaries too far or wears out their welcome .
    S'ok Jon - he hasn't been on here for a couple of years :-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    DefaultM said:
    I can totally vouch for this! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23844
    DefaultM said:
    Luthiers & techs - I think that we are all a bit different to each other, and that somehow I must either be a bit of an outlier or missed the day at college when the grumpy conditioning was handed out. I certainly know quite a few gifted luthiers who are by their own admission are not "people persons".

Maybe years working in telephone sales and customer service departments drilled having a sunny disposition into me (lol), although  can certainly get pee'd off just like anyone if someone pushes my boundaries too far or wears out their welcome .
    You are definitely not a grumpy nutcase.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1118
    DefaultM said:
    Receiving his work?

You're paying him, right?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Being unnecessarily abrasive, to the point of rudeness, to potential customers is, perhaps, not a great way of conducting yourself if you run a business in such a niche market as high end guitars and repair/restoration.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2598
    DefaultM said:
    Some people have spent their time mastering a craft rather than how to be internet savvy.
    It’s not an either/or choice, you can be a skilled craftsperson and still know how to function socially
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7441
    brucegill said:
    DefaultM said:
    Na, fuck that. My moneys always going to go to someone who’s humble, rather than someone who has to tell you how good they are. Life’s too short to deal with wankers, especially ones you bloody pay. 

Fair enough, I wasn't saying anyone should, just why I think this thread hasn't gone very well. 
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1118
    Is anyone else thinking of Ed Roman?
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 634
    edited February 21
    I know Darren as a "band" mate and a friend and have had the pleasure of playing a fair few of his builds so have kept out of it (also I wouldn't buy any guitar over 1k and had no idea what a Murphys Lab was until this thread, so it's all a bit lost on me tbh).

But what I will say that he is an absolute perfectionist in what he makes, from initial timber selection, hand crafted bodies and necks, pick up selection etc, right down the last nut and screw, the depth of which the majority of us will never understand. I'm guessing it's a passion and definitely a bit of a curse so I understand the frustration when sub-standard, but extremely high ended (priced) guitar come in for rectification.

Sure it came across as a bit of a sneer initially but It saddens me the pitchfork mentality on here sometimes.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12562
    edited February 21
    Deleted!!!
    edited February 21
    Has there been any pitchforks here? No one’s attacked the OP that I can tell. Plenty of opinions and debate, that’s only what you can expect when you start a thread like this though
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7441
    edited February 21
    elstoof said:
    DefaultM said:
    Some people have spent their time mastering a craft rather than how to be internet savvy.
    It’s not an either/or choice, you can be a skilled craftsperson and still know how to function socially
    Some people don't even realise what they're saying might be rude. They have their obsession that they do in solitude, and it's often very unfortunate that parts involve social interaction. 

I choose to go to a lady every fortnight who helps me to analyse why my interactions haven't gone how I expected that they would. The tone I said things in, the words I used etc.

I pay her and I receive help.

Most common is that I thought I was going to be making people laugh, and then I was there like "ah... Well they didn't look happy with that!".

Considering the title of the thread is 'Best laugh I've had in years' 99% chance here is that he thought he was going to be making people laugh. Not that he was being a dreadful twat.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8575
    dindude said:
    Can I ask the real question in the room.

Why is the guy who runs Daniel’s Guitars called Darren? 
    Same as Matt at Monty’s I assume…
    No, not the same. Daniel was Darren’s son who passed away about 5/6 years ago. 

Might be worth removing the LOL from Dindude’s original question post. 
    Apologies - had no idea about the back story and would not have been so glib, had I known. 
    Same! Whilst it’s always genuinely confused me, I wasn’t expecting that answer.
    DefaultM said:
    elstoof said:
    DefaultM said:
    Some people don't even realise what they're saying might be rude. They have their obsession that they do in solitude, and it's often very unfortunate that parts involve social interaction. 

I choose to go to a lady every fortnight who helps me to analyse why my interactions haven't gone how I expected that they would. The tone I said things in, the words I used etc.

I pay her and I receive help.

Most common is that I thought I was going to be making people laugh, and then I was there like "ah... Well they didn't look happy with that!".

Considering the title of the thread is 'Best laugh I've had in years' 99% chance here is that he thought he was going to be making people laugh. Not that he was being a dreadful twat.
    And the general theme of the thread has been of a similar vein, with people quite fairly pointing out what’s gone wrong here. 

Giving allowances to craftspeople for their behaviour because they’re good at their job is no different to giving Gibson a pass for their occasionally shonky QC tbh
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    My god, this has become a bloody tedious exercise of futility. 

Adding “Guitar” to the list of hidden sub sections, there’s too much self righteousness on display over the last 7 pages.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23844
    BigPaulie said:
    Is anyone else thinking of Ed Roman?
    RIP, I guess.  I used to like some of the content on his website, back in the day.  Blackback pickups and moaning about PRS neck heels.  Shame there was all that borderline-racist stuff about "import" guitars...
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12633
    Wow - what a thread.

Probably a bad time to mention that I think paying extra to have someone drag a guitar around a car park, whether Gibson or anyone else, is more than a bit daft, right? ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.